Triceps question

Jul

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!
I did Power Hour today and I noticed that when I do my triceps using a barbell, I seem to have less strength than using dumbbells. For example, I tried to use 15 pound barbell and REALLY struggled, but I substituted 2 8 pound dumbbells and was much more comfortable. Is it the angle and having my wrists turned a different direction that renders me weaker with a barbell? I wonder about this each time you use a barbell and I switch over to dumbbells.

I'd like the answer to this too. I feel like I get a better tricep workout with two dumbbells, so I often use them instead of a barbell in MIS and PowerHour. Should I keep trying to use a barbell to vary the workout, or is it OK to stick with dumbbells?

Thanks,
Sandi M

Yes, each and every time you vary your equipment and body alignment for an exercise you are hitting the muscle group in a slightly different way as to recruit new muscle fibers. Sometimes you are stronger and sometimes weaker. This change is a good thing.

Its not about how much weight you use, its about how good your form is while you lift a challenging weight per given exercise. It is not uncommon to have to change your weight selection for various hand grips. Keep up the great work. The only time that you should strictly stay with one grip/piece of equipment is if the other is causing you pain.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.