Transfer ipod music to itunes?

Winter

Cathlete
Hi,

I seems I never have the same computer for long. I have an ipod mini that I want to transfer the songs on it into itunes to rebuild my library. I researched this and have saved the music folder on my c drive. Now I should be able to go into itunes and add folder to library. When I do this nothing happens. It will import a single song but not the folder. I have over 800 songs and don't want to load each one :(

Has anyone else run across this problem and figure out how to fix it?

Thanks,
Winter

I'm going to ask a stupid question - are the songs in MP3 format?

Also, check your preferences to be sure you have iTunes set to copy music to the iTunes library.

What else . . . worse case scenario, copy them in as a group from within your music folder.

I'm not great at computer stuff, but one of these might work.

The files look to be MPEG 4.

I looked on the preferences tab to set itunes to copy to library but couldn't find anything except on the advanced tab - copy itunes media folder when adding to library. That didn't work.

I will let me select a group of songs. I am not sure how many though as I tried the one folder and it would not work but today if I select 5 or so it did.

Any other ideas? Could there be a setting on the actual folder that hold the music?

Thank you for you ideas. I appreciate it.

Winter

Ah! I just asked my DH about the MPEG4 format. He's to computer guru in the house! He said that iTunes can read these files, but you will probably have to cut and paste to transfer them. I would highlight the whole batch and paste then cut or copy and paste them to your music folder, then add to library.

I know it's a pain, but I think that's the only way with the MPEG4s. Try that and, hopefully, someone else has done this and can suggest a better short cut!

I have transfered the music to a folder on my c drive. There are about 30 folders with music under "my music" folder under my documents. Itunes will not upload the folder. I don't get an error or anything I just select the folder to add to my library and itunes does nothing. I can select the individual songs within the folder but not the folder. Grrr.

Thanks again!!

Winter

Apple doess not let you transfer music from ipods to itunes/computer. This is apparently to prevent piracy.

Hope Gayle's link helps.

(Hi Gayle :) )

If you Google it, there are a number of free softwares that will do this for you that you can download. Supposedly they'll transfer playlists and everything back into iTunes so you don't have to redo it.

I also have a new computer, and some mix of songs that are pirated as well as purchased. It appears that my new Win7 CPU is not compatible with my iPod, so I made this discovery in midst of that process.

Good luck!

Plug pod into computer go to file look under transfer purchased items from IPod this will allow you to install items off Ipod into library and from there you can will have all music off of your Ipod on to your new computer.

iPod Transfer is the professional assistant for iPod users. Backup files from iPod to PC, import video, audio files or folders from PC to iPod without iTunes and transfer files from one iPod to another one directly, there are also iPhone tools and Mac version, which is iPhone Transfer, iPod Manager for Mac and iPhone Tranfer for Mac.

ipod.jpg

Key Functions of iPod Transfer

Backup files from iPod to PC

Aiseesoft iPod Transfer can copy files from iPod to your local disks. The supported formats include MP4, M4V, MP3, WMV, M4A, M4B, M4P.

Load local files to iPod directly

Aiseesoft iPod Transfer can import video and audio files or folders from the local disks to iPod without iTunes.

Transfer files between different iPod

Aiseesoft iPod Transfer allows you to transfer files from one iPod to another by connecting two iPod/iPhone to this software.

Support all the iPod/iPhone version

This iPod Transfer can be used for all the iPod/iPhone versions: iPod 1G, iPod 2G, iPod 3G, iPod 4G, iPod Classic, iPod mini, iPod nano 1, iPod nano 2, iPod nano 3, iPod nano 4, iPod shuffle 1, iPod shuffle 2, iPod shuffle 3, iPod Touch, iPod Touch 2, iPod Video, iPhone, iPhone (3G).

Mac Video Converter
Best DVD Ripper
iPhone Ringtone Maker

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.