Training in someone's home?

MadnNatsmom

Cathlete
I work for a large chain gym and I've been contemplating breaking out on my own, but am hesitant for various reasons.

I was asked by two of my long-term clients if I'd be open to training them privately. It would make more sense to train them in my home as opposed to theirs since I have the equipment.

I'm thinking about starting with these two and then adding a few more, but wonder if other women who don't know me as well as my current clients would feel weird about being trained in my home?

Would you have any reservations about training in a person's home?

I personally wouldn't have a problem, as long as you have the accreditations. Good luck on starting up your business!

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I would have a few conditions. I wouldn't want to train in someone's home if there were kids or pets running around during my session that took the trainers attention off of me. I would want the work out area to be clean and somehow closed off from any other activities in the home. Other than that I wouldn't have a problem going to someone's home for training.

I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. But I would have a few conditions. I wouldn't want to train in someone's home if there were kids or pets running around during my session that took the trainers attention off of me. I would want the work out area to be clean and somehow closed off from any other activities in the home. Other than that I wouldn't have a problem going to someone's home for training.
I agree with Liann, but let me throw something else at you. Are you SURE you want to train people in YOUR home? If it were me, I wouldn't mind training people I knew fairly well, like the long term clients you known for ages, but I'd be wary of letting strangers in my home, especially if you're there alone. You just never know about people these days. I hate to feel this way, but I guess I'm paranoid about letting just anybody in my home.

If I were going to have a home gym for the purposes of training other people, it would have to have a separate entrance and be locked and secured from the rest of my house.

Thank you all for your replies - these types of input was exactly what I was looking for.

I am not going to advertise, only word-of-mouth, referrals from friends, etc. I

There is liability insurance available for private trainers. I'm not sure how it applies to my personal residence, however.

I'm also thinking about training in my backyard so they would come through the side gate rather than directly into my house.

Depending on the state you live in, you may need additional home owners insurance, no matter where you train (inside or outside) So be sure to talk to your insurance agency. I had looked at babysitting for a few friends, and our home owners ins wouldnt cover it, and the state required so much additional ins. It was insane. It's good to have it anyway, you never know what could happen, and who would do what if they get injured. Even just walking up to your door if they slip and fall, you would be responsible, unfortunately.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan started!

Thank you all for your replies - these types of input was exactly what I was looking for.

I am not going to advertise, only word-of-mouth, referrals from friends, etc. I

There is liability insurance available for private trainers. I'm not sure how it applies to my personal residence, however.

I'm also thinking about training in my backyard so they would come through the side gate rather than directly into my house.

I would not be comfortable working out in someone's home. I would rather be in a gym.

My opinion is that a home gym is not going to have the quality equipment, the safety and the comfort of a gym.

In this bad economy, is this what you want to do??

Liberty - thanks for the insurance info.

parkercp - The pay at big-chain gyms suck, which is one of the reasons I want to work for myself. It's a 70/30 split which is absurd. So, even if I only had half of the clients I had at the gym, I'd still be making more money working for myself.

As for the equipment at the gym, everything I use with my clients at the gym, I have at home and I wouldn't have to compete with other trainers for equipment/space, etc. I rarely use machines with my clients.

One of my clients wanted to start running, but I couldn't help her inside of a gym except watch her on a treadmill.

I also will acquire equipment that the gym does NOT have, such as kettlebells and rubber bands for assisted pullups. I love the idea of gliding, but we cannot at the gym.

This thread is really helping me think things through!

Just insurance. If someone gets hurt that might go to your house insurance or they might sue you rather than suing a gym.

Okay, I am going to throw one more thing out to you.

I work in zoning and where I live unless the property is zoned for commercial use you can not have a business where clients come to you. They do allow home based business but only were all work is performed else where, such as in a cleaning business or such.

MadnNatsMom - I train out of my home and have faced pretty much everything that has been talked about here. I checked with my city and I can work out of my home, but there is some really bizarre caveat about how much traffic and how many cars my business generates. I carry my own PT liability insurance which is pretty cheap, $189/year for $1 million dollars. I am putting an additional insurance rider on my house in case someone slips and falls. My advertising is all word of mouth which is significantly more difficult to get people that you would anticipate, that is my biggest hurdle. I only let people into my home that I am comfortable with, but since I usually work with middle aged women or special populations I am slightly more comfortable. I do love having all of my own equipment and space and the freedom to train when I want and how I want. Yes I do get to keep the money and not split it with a club, but then you run into self-employment taxes which take a huge bite out of your income. So here is my bottom line take on the situation. If you need the money to live...you are often better off working at the club because you are more guaranteed clients and an income. If you are more interested in quality of life...training for yourself is the way to go. One more thing to think about. I have a friend that left the club environment and does her training out of a local church and they don't charge her for the use of the space. It allows her to train someone not in her home in a public space, but she is limited by the equipment she chose to carry to work that day. A note, she also struggles with generating enough new clients.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Shayne

PS You can PM me with any other questions

Okay, I am going to throw one more thing out to you.

I work in zoning and where I live unless the property is zoned for commercial use you can not have a business where clients come to you. They do allow home based business but only were all work is performed else where, such as in a cleaning business or such.
SheWolf-

In MN it's called a "conditional use" permit...In the years I was in real estate, the only time I saw one denied was the owner of a lawncare company was moving to a VERY upscale neighborhood and the neighbors didn't want to noise of heavy equipment moving in the early morning hours...Can't think it would be a problem for her??

MJ

SheWolf-

In MN it's called a "conditional use" permit...In the years I was in real estate, the only time I saw one denied was the owner of a lawncare company was moving to a VERY upscale neighborhood and the neighbors didn't want to noise of heavy equipment moving in the early morning hours...Can't think it would be a problem for her??

MJ

In my my town, which is NJ, they would not grant a "conditional use" permit to allow clients to come to a residential home. I have seen them shut down such businesses, even in the case where someone was given a zoning permit in error and they had spent over $50,000 on a building and equipment. Also I am a personal trainer as well as working for my city.

My response was not to tell the OP she could not run a business from her home, but just to advise her to check into her local zoning laws before doing so.

I agree with Liann, but let me throw something else at you. Are you SURE you want to train people in YOUR home? If it were me, I wouldn't mind training people I knew fairly well, like the long term clients you known for ages, but I'd be wary of letting strangers in my home, especially if you're there alone. You just never know about people these days. I hate to feel this way, but I guess I'm paranoid about letting just anybody in my home.

If I were going to have a home gym for the purposes of training other people, it would have to have a separate entrance and be locked and secured from the rest of my house.

ITA! As someone who gives holistic treatments as a side practice, I only allow people i know well into my home. I will go to other's homes for treatments when I don't know them. Also, if I'm giving a treatment to a man I don't go alone. I take an "assistant."

Tricia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.