Tough decision - advice? input? (long)

MCunningham

Cathlete
Fellow Catheites,

I have two cats: Maya (10 years old) and Lola (8 years old). I've had them both since they were kittens and they're both rescues. I'm not a HUGE cat person, but I love animals in general and the plight of pets in shelters just tortures my soul.

Maya, the older one, has always been skittish and nervous and timid but is sweet to us. Lola is not timid in any way, is brazen, and frankly has a bit of an attitude problem. She regularly bites me HARD (not playing) and generally does things that I KNOW she knows angers me (jumps up on the kitchen table and on counters, etc.) She's NOT a dumb cat, and trust me, she is very well aware of what she shouldn't be doing.

Up until about mid-2006, however, I never had any serious issues with either cat.

The problem is that about 4.5 years ago, DH and I adopted a Boston Terrier followed a few months later by a Maltese mix (both male rescues). Neither cat seemed thrilled at first, but within a few weeks, both cats pretty much ignored the dogs and didn't seem to care one way or the other about their presence. In fact, they occasionally play together. A few months after that, we noticed that one or both of the cats was peeing in our unfinished basement, right near where I work out, on the cement floor.

I was appalled and surprised because I'd had those cats for about 6 and 4 years at that point and NEVER had seen that happen before. They had never, ever previously peed (or pooped) outside of the litter box. I was scooping the litter box about every other day, so I thought maybe they were annoyed about litter box cleanliness, so I stepped up the scooping to every day (I know I should have done that anyway, but they had a big litter box and neither one really went to the bathroom much, and it never smelled very bad). I cleaned the spots where they had peed and thought that would be the end of it.

Apparently, however, it was just the beginning. Regardless of the new cleaner state of the litter box-- and my addition of a second litter box, just in case-- at least one of them (I had no idea if it was just one or both or which one might be doing it) repeatedly peed in the same areas and stank up the basement. Trust me, there is NO CLEANING PRODUCT that gets rid of the smell of cat pee, even on cement. I spent literally hundreds of dollars trying to get rid of the smell, and while it's significantly better now, it's still lingering. After battling the cat pee specter for about 4 months, we finally decided to put up permanent walls that allowed them to only get to the base of the basement stairs to where their litter boxes were and blocked their access to the rest of the basement. That seemed to do the trick; no more pee outside of the litter boxes.

Now, fast-forward to 2009, where we left the house with the unfinished basement (that we own) and moved closer to work and into a rental home with a finished, carpeted basement. We decided to keep the litter boxes (still 2) in the half-bathroom down in the finished basement, and my workout equipment still went in the basement. I continued to scoop once a day and entirely change the litter every week. About six months after we moved into this rental, I realized that the CAT PEE ISSUE HAD RETURNED!!!! They were peeing in a corner of the basement behind my rarely-used spinning bike and they had SOAKED the carpet and padding. I diligently cleaned the area and kept trying to get rid of the cat pee smell, but it never went away, and they kept peeing there. Eventually, they started peeing in ANOTHER corner of the room and then along one ENTIRE wall. I tried literally every product on the market for about 7 months, including professional carpet cleaning on 3 separate occasions, and the use of Feliway (a cat hormone plugin/spray that is supposed to prevent them from wanting to pee wherever it is) and plastic sheeting over the carpet before I finally gave up-- about 2 months ago, I tore out the carpet and padding in the afflicted half of the basement down to the bare cement, even though this house is just a rental and I know I am going to pay out the nose to replace it. I just could NOT take the stink of cat pee any longer; I couldn't even walk down there, let alone workout down there.

So, I thought that would work because, similar to the previous time, I had removed their favorite place to pee. I also stepped up my scooping to twice daily (morning and evening) after we tried an automatic litter box that was AWFUL, hoping that the added measure of cleanliness would entice them to never again think of peeing outside of them. Apparently, I was wrong. Just last week, I found another place, right by my dumbbell rack, where they are PEEING ON THE CARPET AGAIN!!! To add to that, I'm finding puddles of cat pee on the cement, where I removed the carpet, AT LEAST twice a week.

I think I've finally figured out that the younger one, Lola, the one with the attitude problem, is the one doing it. I know this because I've now caught her in the act TWICE-- once when I was scooping out the litter boxes, she sauntered over to the corner and peed, and a second time just last night when I was working out. I was in the middle of 4DS Bootcamp and watched her walk right to my treadmill and pee behind it!! This was exactly 15 minutes after I had scooped the litter boxes clean and added a fresh layer of litter. I WAS LIVID!!! I chased after her and smacked her on the bum and I was so upset that I broke down in tears.

This afternoon, I came home from work and there was a new puddle of cat pee-- right by the treadmill again.

Suffice it to say, I'm really REALLY sick of this. My house smells like cat pee, and there is nothing I can do to fix it or prevent it, apparently. I literally have no idea what else I can do. I've taken her to the vet and they've ruled out health/bladder issues and anxiety because she's NOT a nervous cat and doesn't even flinch at noises or the dogs clumsily stepping on her and even seems totally unfazed by going to the vet. (And she seems to get along with the dogs and my other cat just fine-- no conflicts or anything.) I cannot figure out what is going on with her, but I'm steadily losing it. I am seriously opposed to giving her up to the SPCA or anything (reference my prior comment about my heartbreak regarding animal shelters), but who would want a cat that not only pees outside of the litter box, but is a repeat offender?!?! I would hate hate hate to give her up because I view taking on a pet as a lifetime commitment, but cats can live a LONG time, and I cannot stomach the idea of doing this for another decade or so. My sanity is dwindling and I'd like to think about starting a family soon in a home that isn't being constantly ravaged by cat pee and that doesn't have a constant sickeningly cloying smell of ammonia.

Please help. I am not even sure what kind of help I'm looking for, here... maybe validation that if I finally opt to give her up, I'm not a terrible person? Or any suggestions if any of you have overcome this kind of problem?

I'm just honestly going crazy. :(

(Sorry for the novel... it's just been a long process and I'd like to show that this is not a recent issue that I'm making a hasty judgment on.)

MC

Last edited:
MC,

I'm truly sorry for your problem. I am a cat lover who is married to a cat tolerator. I had a problem with a cat peeing on the cement foor in the basement for no known reason also. I know how frustrating it can be, and you have definitely gone above and beyond with your tolerance and trying to fix the problem.

I don't know where you live, but my only suggestion is to make the cats outdoor cats and allow them inside for short periods of time. That is what I ended up doing (I live in the country and didn't mind letting him outside)because I just couldn't trust my cat not to pee on the floor. He is no longer alive (he had a seizure disorder, which by the way, the vet said was not the cause for him peeing on the floor), and although I miss him, I really, really don't miss having to deal with the peeing problem.

Kim

Kim,

Thank you for your empathy... Actually, both cats are declawed, so I cannot let them outdoors or they might become victims of other animals or cars or something (which would leave me wracked with guilt). :(

But I really appreciate your suggestion. Thank you. Yes, the cat pee problem started out as frustrating, but now it's maddening. I literally obsess about it. :(

MC

i had the same issue awhile back when i introduced 2 new puppies to my 2 cat home. my older cat started peeing in odd places . i found out that the puppies were bothering her while she was inside the litter box so she found other places to go. i now use a litter box called a the clever cat , its bacically a storage tote , so my cat has to jump in to use it. But now the dogs can't get in to bother her or get what i call kitty bon bons. Just recently my older cat started not to use her box again my husband and i thought it was b/c we got another new puppy ( no we'd had this puppy for a couple of months by this time)but , after a few days when the behavior didn't stop i took her to the vet and found out she had a bladder infection . after 3 days on medication she went back to using her box and i haven't had any problems since. maybe you cat is having one of these issues . i hope this helps

Interesting... my dogs are never allowed in the basement. So the cats have free reign of the basement and aren't bothered by the dogs at all in my situation.

And I've had them on the exact same litter the whole time I've had them, so I doubt that's an issue...

*sigh*

Thank you for the insight.

MC

I am sorry you are having to deal with this. I have two cats myself but never had a problem. But my sister in-law has 3 cats that never had a problem until she got two dogs, seems like that's when problem started. The cats started peeing on all the beds in the house and on the floor and on clothes. She kept having to replace mattresses. Now the cats only stay upstairs and the dogs downstairs. I think the cats resent the dogs coming into their space.

Have you ever tried Feliway plugins or sprays. Some people swear by them for this exact issue. May be worth a try. Good luck!!!!!! :) Linda

The addition of the dogs is the only thing I can pinpoint that changed for us, too, but they honestly all get along really well. In fact, the cat that is doing all the peeing is actually really affectionate with the dogs and will purr and do the head-rubbing against the dogs and lay right next to them. I cannot figure out why she'd be so resentful when she doesn't seem to have an issue with the dogs at all!! Argh!!!

Yes! I tried both the Feliway plug-ins (one in each corner) for about 4 months, and it did nothing. I even bought the Feliway spray and sprayed it daily in the basement, but it didn't help. :(

Thank you for the suggestions, though, Linda. I appreciate it.

I feel so much despair over this situation. :(

MC

I just re-read your post and see that you had already mentioned the Feliway-sorry.:eek: I wish there was something I could suggest, I would hate to see you have to get rid your cat. But I know how frustrating it must be for you. I'm dealing with a cat with allergies, and i am very frustrated. I feel so bad for her. She chewed all the hair off her belly. Hopefully someone else will have some good advice for you. :) Linda

Linda, thank you for your kind words. I've been dealing with this cat peeing issue for about a year now at this place and about 6 months at the other place (and it's pretty much daily).

I'm so stressed about this because if I gave her up, there's no guarantee she wouldn't pee in her next home, and what if her next owner decided to put her down because she won't stop? (A common thing in cats that won't stop peeing everywhere.) And if (god forbid) I feel cornered into giving her up to a shelter, apparently the euthanasia rate for cats of her age is 50% or higher. So, basically, it looks like I'm looking at 3 potential options:

a.) Keep living in a house with a cat who pees everywhere and accepting everything that comes with that for probably a decade or more
b.) Give her away (if anyone will take her) and always wonder if she did okay or if they ended up "getting rid of her", too
c.) Face the awful idea of putting her down myself

I feel like all 3 are awful options. I just cannot stop crying and stressing about this. I realize there are bigger concerns in life and all, but I take my responsibilities as a pet owner very, very seriously, and I just feel like anything but the first option is letting her down. :(

I just have no idea where to go from here.

I just don't know what to say, I feel so bad for you. I know how stressed I get over my pets. All 3 options sound awful. My SIL is debating the same thing with the one cat she knows is doing the peeing. Should she return him to the humane society or keep him and deal with it. Her DH says keep him. But of course he also doesn't do all the clean up she does. Also her cat weighs 26 pounds :eek: and no one will ever take him. I wish I had a solution!! :( Linda

I had a problem last year with one of my cats pooping outside the litterbox. I finally figured out which one it was, and apparently something had happened to make her not like their litterbox anymore (it was a big corner one with a lid and a door). I ended up getting them a big one with no lid. She also became a fanatic about having it clean...she will actually come and fuss at me if it doesn't meet her specifications. I scoop it out 3 times a day, and the pooping outside the box has stopped. At least poop is much easier to deal with than pee.

The only thing I can tell you is to take her to the vet and have her checked out. Bladder and kidney problems can make them not use the litterbox. I wonder though, if somehow, the dogs have something to do with it. Maybe not, it's hard to know.

I hope you don't have to give them to a shelter. They will put them down. Is there a cat rescue place where you live? They might be able to help her deal with the issue....maybe try her out in a new home with no dogs and see if she stops.

Hope things work out...I feel for you.

I am curious as to why you had your cats declawed. I would also ask - what if it was your child that had this problem?

Well, I highly doubt my child would be peeing around the house... I could diaper them, at least. And no normal person (without disability) ever made it to adulthood not being potty trained. This cat is an 8-year-old adult who didn't start this until about 5 years ago.

I'm agonizing over this decision. As I said in my original posting, I view taking on a pet as a lifetime commitment. But I think you'd have to walk a mile in my shoes to understand how maddening/disgusting this problem is. I've spent hundreds and hundreds of dollars on every cleaning/repellent/calming product out there, I've become obsessive about litter box cleanliness, I've torn up carpet I don't own, I've but down plastic sheeting everywhere I possibly can... I'm at an absolute loss as to what to do now. I cannot live in a home that smells like cat pee all the time. It's disgusting and unsanitary. I would feel awful and guilty and horrible giving her away, but I am starting to feel like she's not upholding her end of the bargain here. I work 50+ hours per week plus I'm going to school in the evenings, and I have to come home every day and find out where else she peed and stunk up the house.

I had them declawed because they both had horrible scratching problems as kittens-- furniture, curtains, carpets, bedspreads, you name it-- and the apartments I lived in were ruined, so I had to pay several thousand dollars to replace the carpets and fix the door frames and screens. I tried everything on the market at the time to stop it, sprays and scratching posts and weekly nail trimming (at the groomer, not myself because they would rip me up when I tried). And my older one had repeated eye infections when she was a kitten (the vet guessed it was an aggressive strain of infection she got from the shelter) and she literally tore my arms, neck, and face up every time I had to give her eye drops twice a day. At the time, I didn't know about things like nail capping and stuff like that and the two vets I consulted offered me no other options.

I'm taking her to the vet AGAIN today in a last-ditch effort to find out if there's anything further I can do. Last time they said she had no urinary infection and was perfectly healthy and that anti-anxiety meds would do nothing for her because she is always far from anxious. I am finding myself PRAYING-- even though I'm not religious-- that there is something wrong with her that we can fix that will end this problem.

MC

LastTango, I would much rather deal with pooping outside of the litter box!!! We have two large, uncovered boxes that are in a half-bathroom (in the basement) for "privacy". That half-bathroom is their own bathroom; DH and I do not use it, and the dogs are not permitted in the basement anyway, so I know they're not being chased away from the litter boxes. I tried 3 different types of automatic litter boxes because I work all day and can really only scoop twice a day so I thought they'd do a better job of keeping the boxes clean when I'm not around to scoop, but they stank really bad and clogged up and appeared to make the problem much worse.

The addition of the dogs is the only thing I can think of that changed, but it seems so odd that she'd act out because of that since she truly and genuinely seems to actually like them. I even stepped up giving her attention (even though she's not much of a cuddler/attention seeker) because I thought maybe she felt ignored or unloved... that didn't help. :(

I might try to find a cat rescue. I'm so utterly upset and broken-hearted about this... I cried for like an hour last night to DH about this issue.

MC

I don't have any great advice, once this starts, it's a difficult thing to stop. I completely understand your dilemma as I went through it too. We ripped up the carpet, but down pergo in the area my cat was peeing on, the smell went away, and oddly, he stopped and did not bring his activities upstairs where we still had carpet. He was also a very aggressive, biting cat, kind of a bad seed from the day we adopted him, at night when I slept, he would sleep on my feet, so there was some affection there, also declawed (I understand the mistake now), but he was an only child. So not sure what made him start doing this, it probably started when he was about 4 yo. He ended up getting very sick and we put him to sleep.

Dela, thank you for the reply. Yeah, we thought ripping up the carpet would help, but she still keeps peeing on the cement and now she's moved over to also peeing on the half of the basement that still has carpet (an area she never touched before). I would put some other flooring down if it were my house, but since it's a rental I don't have that leeway. :( As it is, I am going to have to re-carpet the whole basement now when our lease is up next year. And our fear is that even if we could get rid of all the carpet and go pergo in the basement, like if we got permission from our landlord, what if she just started peeing elsewhere?

I actually think she has started peeing on my dining room rug (not carpet, just a rug over hard wood flooring) now, too, so she's moved on... :(

It's a hard decision but when an animal is causing your life to be miserable then it's time to rehome it. It's not your child, it's a cat. Life is too short for this kind of misery.

Your upset, the cat is upset. Rehome the cat and it will be happy and you will someday realize that this was the right thing to do. Don't let the people who think animals have more rights than people make you feel bad about your decision.

Kewl,

Thank you for the input. I think this is partly what I was looking for-- validation that I'm not a bad person for feeling like I cannot deal with this anymore. :( (Who am I kidding? I'm still going to feel terrible regardless...) But it's nice to hear that there's someone (even if it's not me) who doesn't think I'm a ghoul for considering giving her up.

But, please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm totally open. (Chances are that I've done most of them already because I've tried EVERYTHING that I've read on cat forums regarding this issue, but you never know...)

MC

I actually have been there myself - for many years (up to last fall) I had a cat that pooped and peed everywhere - partly for psychological reasons and partly for physical reasons. She died naturally last year. It was a huge pain in the butt. I never considered getting rid of her, but I am less invested in having a clean house than most (as is very evident upon entering my place).

To be brutally honest, pets are not always what we want them to be. They are living beings that sometimes have health and psychological issues that sometimes cause headaches for us and we are expected to take that risk when we adopt one. Perhaps a different type of pet might be a better choice in the future- fish come to mind. Still lots of work, but are unlikely to pee in an unexpected place or rip up your furniture.

Last edited:
Morningstar, I understand that pets aren't always what we want them to be. I have to tell you that your comment about fish being a better pet for me in the future sounds a bit condescending. I have a second cat who is fine and 2 dogs that are just fine. I take my responsibilities as a pet owner very seriously and this decision is tearing me apart and your (perceived) tone and judgment is most unwelcome. Just because you do not place a priority on a clean home does not mean no one else does. I'm not a clean freak, but I hardly think it is unreasonable to expect an adult, previously housetrained cat to use the (very clean) litter box instead of the carpet in my workout area. I don't exactly expect miracles from my pets and I have tried a LOT of different things to resolve this issue.

MC

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.