Too much, too soon??

Shannon

I have recently started a weight loss program (Weight Watchers)and have about 30 lbs to lose. In complete disregard of common sense, I ordered BodyMax, thinking I could just jump right in. Not surprisingly, I find the tape too long and too intense for my fitness level at this time. I have also read the other discussions regarding recommendations on working out (for example, one should do 2 high intensity workouts, 2 lower intensity workouts, 1 total strength, and 1 interval). My question is what is the recommendation for an ambitious beginner? Also, can I divide up BodyMax into different workouts? Is an approx. 30 minute workout/ 6 days a week enough? Should I also try to incorporate four DIFFERENT cardio workouts in a week (as a beginner) in order to shock my system (its already in a state of shock!) If you have any advice, or could refer me to an earlier forum, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Hi Shannon!

Lots of luck to you with your Weight Watchers program. As for your fitness plan, you are so right, Bodymax is not the tape for a beginner to jump into. I think that 30 minute workouts are wonderful for an ambitious beginner. However, I do not advise starting with a six day per week program. I would advise 4 days(three cardio and one strength training)per week. Your three 30 minute cardio workouts should be non-consecutive and include warm ups and cooldowns(for instance a 5 minute warm up, 20 minute cardio session, and 5 minute cooldown). You may incorporate all different cardio workouts or you can stick with one for about three weeks and then another for three weeks etc. For your one day of strength training, I would do a total body workout(I recommend MIS)and do all of the exercises with a light weight. Gradually increase your lifting weight in small increments over weeks at a time. The weight workout, as well as any workout, should always challenge you but not overwhelm you.

As far as Bodymax is concerned, yes it can be divided so that the upper body weight section can be done on a separate day, however, for now, I recommend putting that tape on hold until you feel that you are more of an intermediate to advanced exerciser(obviously modifying the intensity of Bodymax to match your fitness level). I also DO NOT recommend doing any interval tapes until you are more of an intermediate to advanced level exerciser.

After you have completed your initial 12 week beginner period, I would recommend making one of the following changes on a monthly basis. Each month you should either increase the duration of each workout, increase the frequency of your workouts, or increase the intensity of your workouts. All of these changes should occur in small increments so that your body has an adaptation period and therefore is less prone to injury.

Good Luck!

One more question

Cathe (or any one that can help me!)

First, thank you for your response! I am ordering MIS this week, and would like a recommendation on what I should do for cardio the other three days. What tape(s) or activities do you recommend? Also, what constitues "light" weights?

Thanks again....this web site and all of the other discussions have kept me motivated!

Shannon

Hi Shannon!

You should select cardio activities that appeal to you because if they appeal to you, you will continue to do them. You will therefore be more committed to your fitness program. Some samples of cardio activities: Step Aerobics, walking, jogging, walk/jog combo(on treadmill or outdoors), stationary bike riding, outdoor bike riding, kickboxing, hi/lo impact aerobics, hiking, non-stop swimming for atleast 15 to 20 minutes, to name a few.

Light weights is not an exact poundage. It all depends on the exercise you are doing. For instance a three pound set of dumbells would be considered very light to use for squat work(leg exercise)yet it would prove to be quite challenging when doing reverse flys(shoulder exercise). I would say that generally speaking, light weights fall into the category of 3,5,and 8 pound dumbells. However, the true definition of using light weights is to select a weight (for each exercise) that gives the targeted muscles a warm sensation by the end of the set but does not challenge them AGGRESSIVELY.

If you like step aerobics and you don't mind listening to a litle bit of wedding chatter, I would strongly recommend my "How To Get In Shape For Your Wedding" video. This video contains two workouts. Workout one is a pretty basic yet challenging step aerobic routine. Workout two is a "light weight"(3,5,8 pounders)total body weight training routine. The way to use this video is to do the step aerobic workout 3 non-consecutive days(ex: Mon/Wed/Fri) and the weight training workout two non-consecutive days(ex: Tues/Thurs).

Hope this helps!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.