Too lazy to post three different threads....

morningstar

Cathlete
Okay, guys, I have two questions that are completely unrelated to each other, except in my own twisted mind:

1. What the heck is a "tempo" run?
  2. Does anyone know of a really good, free, spyware-free, music download program?

By the way, some time ago someone on this forum recommended Runners World magazine. It was really hard to find, but I did and now I love it. So, to whoever you are, thank you!

All can be revealed at runnersworld.com! A fabulous resource. I think basically it is a run that you do consistently at race pace, no slacking off! It helps prepare you to run the race at the pace you want and to keep up that pace over the desired distance and to train your body to know what that pace feels like and recognise it once you have hit it. It's not as fast as a sprint, but faster than the pace you use for the weekly long run.

Clare

"The Heart Monitor Training for the Complete Idiot" puts a tempo run at 80 - 85% of mhr, he sandwiches it between a mile or two at 65%.

and
Runner's World -
Heart Rate: 85 to 90 percent of your maximum heart rate

Perceived Exertion: An 8 on a 1-to-10 scale (a comfortable effort would be a 5; racing would be close to a 10)

Talk Test: A question like "Pace okay?" should be possible, but conversation won't be.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--11909-2-1-2,00.html

Hmmm- the tunes - I'll ask around.:cool:

yep - you're a fast girl - but i promise I won't spread that around town. :D

I asked the dudes about tunes and I got two responses:

older ds - "you've got itunes mother" Not sure I liked the tone of mother, sounded too much like an expletive!

middle ds -"ain't no such thing as a free lunch"

For tempo runs I do not have an HRM so I use the Runner's World perceived exertion test that Janis mentioned.

For music, Limewire has the best free service. The problem with all free services, is that these are not official releases, they are whatever people have made available, so you must be careful with what you download. This is because downloading free music is ILLEGAL. I will download songs that I want to hear, and am sure to delete them after a day or two. (not entirely legal, but not much different than hearing something on the radio). Anything available for download on an artist's website is also fair.

Amazon, Walmart, and iTunes have excellent services that cost about a dollar to download most songs, and often you can get an entire album for $8-10. This is the legal way to buy these songs. Also, any physical CDs that you own can be legally converted to MP3s for your own personal use.

Limewire, the "program" itself is not illegal. However, using it to download music that is copyrighted (anything more recent that 100 years old) is - Basically making the program useless unless you are willing to risk getting caught or you're only using it to download Bach.

http://islimewireillegal.com/

I use Napster. It's a paid service - $14.95 a month for unlimited downloads and it is completely legal.

1. Does anyone know of a really good, free, spyware-free, music download program?

Morningstar - Stick with the "pay for" music services. A lot of the stuff that you get for free through P2P software is virus/spyware infected (not to mention copyrighted).

A security outfit Published an experiment they did a few years ago where they set up a machine with P2P software (Limewire, Kazaa, etc) and started downloading. I believe something like 60% of the MP3's they got were either were virus or spyware infected.

I like iTunes. :)

Seriously, stay away from Limewire. Any time we have had computer trouble (there are 4 of us in the family with a computer) the first question I get is "were you on Limewire?". Apparently you are more likely to catch a virus on that site than you are in a preschool classroom.

I also agree don't use limewire. We tried it and it is not worth the hassle nor is MP3 suite.

Itunes or anyother legit site where you pay per song is much easier.

As for your first ? I have no clue.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.