toning up while breastfeeding?

jcpolsky

Cathlete
My son was born 4 weeks ago. I have already lost 20 pounds but I have about another 10 to go. Most of it around my mid section. Is it possible to tone up and gain muscle while breastfeeding or will I have to wait until I wean to really firm up and get back to the way I was?

Congratulations! My 3rd son was born 7 weeks ago. I am in a similar situation as you as far as weight loss.

It is my understanding that you can tone up and gain muscle to your heart's content while breastfeeding. That has been my experience with all 3, I breastfed the other two for a year, and plan to do so with this one.

I think some have found that breastfeeding causes your body to hang on to some body fat to help in milk production. Mine seemed to also...but it could have been because I wasn't getting my workouts in as often with parenthood, and then kept getting pregnant again!
:) Which is why I have 3 kids under 5!

Somewhere I read about breastfeeding past 6 months help you lose more weight than not, but I can't remember where or when. I will have to look around.

My experience with weight loss & pregnancy was that I lost a lot of weight initially (20 or so) and then it took a more "normal" amount of time to lose the rest...say, 1 lb per week. This after dropping like 25 lbs the first month after delivery (gain of 40 overall).

Hope this helps.
Jen

I don't mean to piggy-back on this post, but I have a similar question. I am still breastfeeding my almost 8 month old daughter and am hanging on to about 10 - 15 pounds. I have a sneaking suspicion it has more to do with my eating habits (I'm the type of person who forgets to eat until my hands are shaking.) I know I need to eat better and also have a wedding in August that I'm in, so my motivation is high to get toned up and slim down a little more...

Does anyone have a suggestion - I was thinking of getting the book, "Eat Well, Lose Weight While Breastfeeding."? I'm working out with Cathe as much as possible, but sometimes I go two or three days between workouts.

Sorry this is long, I just need some feedback if anyone has some suggestions!

Thanks,

Tricia:
Seems like there were some previous posts or maybe on the other forums that mention shaking things up a bit...adding interval cardio work, or changing the type of cardio workouts you are doing. Altho, as you said, probably it is consistency that is needed. Also, I have heard that diet is 80 percent of results, or whatever, but that appears to be debatable. Perhaps consistency really is the issue with you.

I do think our bodies want to hang on to fat to breastfeed...but unless someone was ultra lean before, it seems like the average fit woman (not someone with the ultra low body fats) would have enough fat to make breastmilk without holding onto another 10 lbs on top of it all! However Cathe mentions in her before and after baby picture section that she held onto extra lbs til she weaned...but perhaps her body fat is so low that it was necessary for her..mine isn't. Or perhaps it was just a time factor...seems like she may have weaned before 8 months, unlike yourself (not sure).

My baby is ony 2 months, but as soon as he is sleeping thru the nite, I am going to try for an early am workouts before he wakes up, along with his 2 brothers. Finding time to workout is the biggest challenge to a post partum body!!!

Jen

Hey there! My daughter is 9 months old tomorrow and I'm still exclusively breastfeeding. I am a certified group fitness instructor, personal trainer and HealthyMoms Certified Perinatal Fitness Instructor.

YES! You can tone up and gain muscle while breastfeeding. While I do think I'm holding on to a little fat in my upper body, my body fat is now only 15% which is LESS than pre-pregnancy. I must say though that I am truly challenging myself in my workouts and watching what I eat very carefully.

With clean eating and a good training schedule, you should be able to do just fine and still continue to breastfeed.

Hope this helps! jeni

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.