Tips on Ace exam?

SunKissed

Cathlete
I will be taking the Ace personal trainer exam at the end of April. Any advice on how hard the test is, how to prepare, etc. I've been studying as best I can between work,family, and the normal household chores. It seems like it's going to be very hard. I'm scared!!!

Thanks in advance!

Bridget

I took the Ace exam in November and it was really hard! I did pass the first time out, but I believe what helped me was taking the Webinar offered by Exercise Etc. it's a great 6 week class and it really did help! Good Luck

Honestly, I didn't think I was going to pass. I didn't study at all. When I took the exam, I just kept hearing things the Firm instructors said and what Cathe said. (At the time I think I only had 3 Cathe workouts.)

I ended up scoring something like 582 and you need 500 to pass. So, I got what I needed to pass. I really have learned much more as I go, instructing, than I would ever learn from a book. Practical learning is best for me.

Take a deep breath and relax! You'll be fine. :)

Amy G. -- You didn't study at all? Holy cow -- I just took the exam recently and if I'd gotten my knowledge from workout videos I'd have failed miserably. Applied sciences was the smallest part of my exam. All the other stuff -- client assessment/testing (protocol, risk stratification etc.), program design/implementation/adjustment, professional role/legal issues, etc -- made up a huge portion of my exam (plus the simulation/practical). I'm stunned you were able to pass with no study at all. Geeez Louise, I studied hard. :)

Bridget,

I took the exam in late December, right before Christmas and passed with a good score. The Exercise Etc. webinar helped me a lot -- mainly to narrow my focus a bit. The ACE manual is more than a study aid, it's also a reference for you when you're certified, so there is some material in there that you don't specifically need for the test. Be sure to check the back of the manual for the exam content outline/breakdown.

You can send me a private message if you'd like any specific help.

Best wishes,
Marla :)

Thanks Marla! I could usse all the help I can get! I know alot but when it comes down to taking a test it can get kinda nerve wracking. ya know?

Bridget

Marla-

I just finished law school so a lot of the professional and legal questions were more clear to me than they would be if I weren't in school. I also have insulin dependent diabetes and have worked for years in medical offices administratively, so a lot of the medical issues were also pretty straightforward to me.

The portion of the exam I did the worst at was the program design/implementation!!!

I didn't do what I consider "well", but I passed and at the time that was all I needed. I was working as a bootcamp assistant. I have learned much more from working than I ever would have learned studying. I don't train one on one.

I took it because by the time I realized I needed to start studying, the rescheduling fee was the same as the retake fee. So, I considered it my "first try of two". Cut down my stress level! :)

So I guess technically you did study, just not out of the ACE manual. I would've done the same thing, rather than pay a retake fee. Good for you. You did great. I still think it's amazing. :)

I'm working now as an ACE personal trainer, mostly one-one-clients. I'm also back in school working on an exercise science/technology degree ... but it will take quite a while (my kids are still pretty young and we are busy). It's all great. :)

Marla

Hey Bridget, have you taken the exam yet? I took it April 11, passed - yeah! (I was previously ACE PT certified, so this was basically a refresher for me.)

Good luck - let us know how you do!

Congratulations, Stephanie!

Did you have to retake the exam because you're certification expired without enough CEC's?

Marla

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.