Tips for integrating a weighted vest?

Shadowpup

Cathlete
Hi all,

For Christmas I decided to get a weighted vest. My lower body strength improved quite a bit with the last two months Cathe-rotations but I am discovering that holding heavier dumbbells for a full workout is quite a challenge, especially for grip strength (and I don't feel that my arms are getting a true break any more). I am hoping the vest will help me reduce what I have to hold in my hands ...

How are all of you integrating your weighted vests with your workouts, especially your lower body workouts? Any particular Cathe dvds that are especially good fits, right at first? I've used wearable-weights before - this past summer I used a weighted backpack (the weight was rocks and old smaller dumbbells!), and I eased up to 29 pounds for hiking on hills over the course of three months. For that, though, I was wanting to get ready for a backing trip and was not thinking about regular strength training.

BTW, my vest is the xvest, and the one I picked goes to 20 pounds. Washable, too. I picked that weight because much of the online information suggested that both men and women avoid using a weighted vest that is over 10% of their bodyweight. And it seemed like a reasonable place to start :)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions :D
Deb

Hi Deb: I don't have any tips on where to start with the vest, but can I ask where you got your Xvest that is adjustable AND washable? I have been stalling on buying the Atlus/Cathe vest for those very reasons and feel that I would outgrow the 10# one fairly quickly... if you could divulge this info I'd love it :)

Deb - I use my vest for plie squats when I use DBs b/c my heaviest DB is 30lbs. I can build heavier ones but rather than that, I just put the vest on. Also use it for squats when I don't need to go as heavy as possible but yet, don't want to get my rack out, and for lunges and walking lunges. In addition, for cardio, I use it on the TM and the stepmill. Mine is the 10 lb Cathe vest and it is the perfect weight. I was glad to read what you mentioned about not going over 10% of body weight for the vest!

Shana, thanks for those suggestions - that sounds like a reasonable place to start. It is on the squats where I really noticed that my dumbbells are giving me trouble. I had just gone from a pair of 20s to a pair of 25s, and wow! what a change. I hit that third set and thought I was going to drop one. Nice to know you are also using your weighted vest for cardio. That sounds like a great idea!

Dani, this is where I found my vest: http://www.thexvest.com/

I was googling around, looking for one. I would have preferred to get one from Cathe but wanted to go to at least 20 pounds, and washable. BTW, the instruction dvd that came with mine showed it being washed! Apparently you just take the weights out, pop it in the washer, and then either line dry or air dry in the dryer.

I've used a weighted vest for squatting over what I consider a safe weight for my shoulders (when cleaning the barbell from the floor, as in most Cathe workouts).

I've also used it for doing Slim Series "Firm it Up," which is an unweighted lower-body workout.

Last summer, I did power walking with my weighted vest as well.

Thanks, Kathryn! I used the vest today, for the first time, starting with just a tiny bit of weight to get used to the change in balance (6lbs), and slightly reducing my dumbbells to compensate. The dvd was gym style legs.

I really like the way the vest works; it is comfortable and does not bind anywhere. The weight never shifted. Next time, I'll try ten pounds with a different strength dvd, and perhaps stick with 6lbs for a cardio routine, and see how that goes.

I use the vest to add weight to squats,step-ups and especially lunges. I find with lunges, I have better form with the vest, than a barbell. Also, sometimes my shoulders, upper body are fatigued from weights or swimming, and it is nice to be able to work the legs, without loading up the upper body. My vest goes up to 40 pounds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.