Time in Heart Rate Zone?

Jessie

Hi Cathe (and everyone else!),

Thanks to the kind women (and men?) at VF and here I recently ordered a Polar Pacer heart rate monitor.

I have been alternating kickboxing 3x weekly (non-consecutive days) with strength workouts (usually PS lately). When you say aim for at least 3 cardio workouts a week, about how long would you recommend being "in your THRZ" for fat loss?

And can you or someone post here the method for determining your heart rate zone with the resting heart rate incorporated? I know the 226-age method, but am looking for something more specific.

Thanks in advance!
Jessica Niles
Charlotte, NC

Karvonen Method

There's a website that computes your zones using both methods, but I didn't make a note of it. Maybe someone here has it & will post. So here's the Karvonen formula:

1) Subtract age from 220 (to get estimated max)

2) Subtract resting rate from step 1 result

3) Multiply result from step 2 x 50%, & add resting heart rate back in to get the low end of your target zone

4) Multiply result from step 2 x 85%, & add resting heart rate back in to get the high end of your target zone.

Depending on your fitness level, you might want to use 60% as the low end (rather than 50% in step 3). If the numbers look strange, I can run thru a numeric example.

One burns more glycogen than fat for the first 20 minutes of exercise, so one of the benefits of exercising for at least 20 minutes is immediate fat burning. But what really matters is the total calories burned, not really whether the fuel source during exercise is fat or glycogen (carbs). But, there are other benefits to working longer since you're working my favorite muscle - the heart.

Have fun with your monitor!
Debra

RE: Karvonen Method

Thank you Debra!

One more question...how do I determine my resting heart rate? I have heard to put on the monitor as soon as I wake up in the morning, but I am usually woken up by a barking dog, panting to go to the bathroom at 5:30 a.m.! Not very RESTFUL!

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

my alarm clocks scratch the bedroom door

If you have the opportunity to go back to bed & lay quietly for a few minutes after your dog has taken care of business then do that. Just don't grab a cup of java on your way back to bed! If you have a relaxing bedtime routine that would work too. You really just need a time when you're non-stimulated & haven't been moving around.

RE: Heartrate Zone

Okay, I think I have figured out that my resting heart rate is around 67 right now.

So that would make my 50-85% range between 130-174, which seems about right.

So as to TIME in zone, I usually use my monitor during a 60 min. kickboxing class. What would be a goal to shoot for as to time in zone??

And what about during weight workouts such as MIS? I know Cathe always says that you don't want to keep your heart rate high during a weights only workout. Should I even bother to wear my monitor during workouts such as MIS or PS Legs?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica

RE: Heartrate Zone

I'm still learning, but will share what I've learned. I believe a variety of cardio workouts is best, some steady, some interval work, some endurance. I usually just go with the instructor during spinning classes which is probably similar cardio wise to your kickboxing. This usually means working at the high end of the training zone. Many people find they're not working as hard as they "perceived" which is why the instructors want people to use monitors. Much depends on your current fitness level. You may or not be able to work at 75%+ for an entire class. So the first few times you may just want to get a feel for how you feel at different heart rates.

Remember that your heart works harder when it's pumping oxygen to the bigger muscles. That means that your HR will probably drop if you do punching drills with stationary legs (even though you're working hard). Didn't want you to get frustrated during the punching drills.

The HRM is also great for checking recovery. If your HR doesn't steadily drop after the workout then talk to your instructor.

I think it's in PS Legs & Abs where Cathe talks about your heart rate. It will sky because you're using those big muscles, but you want it to drop down between sets so that your form isn't impaired. As she says, save the elevated HR for your cardio workouts. So the only reason to wear the HRM would be to make sure your HR has dropped sufficiently between sets.

I use Ed Burke's book "Precision Heart Rate Training". Most books are specific to either cycling or running, this has chapters for a variety of sports. Jay Blahnik wrote the chapter for Group Exercise. The primary problem I have with the training plans is that class instructors have their own workout plan that isn't necessarily in sync. It seems silly to pay for a spinning workout & then ignore the instructor, so I just go with the instructor.

Sorry to be so long winded. Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.