Thursday Jan 29 2015

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
Attention Cathe Live subscribers:
Tomorrow January 29th 9:15am EST class will be Barbell Upper Body Live. This class will tone and define all the muscles of the upper body with just the use of a barbell. A full-size step will also be used as a bench when exercising lying down. For the best comfort with the lying exercises it is advised that the step height be no lower than 8 to 10 inches. I will be using 10 inches (3 risers under each side). Your barbell will need to have a small plate (2.5 to 3 pounds) medium plate (5.5 to 6 pounds) and large plate (10.5 to 11pounds) on each side. Your unloaded barbell weighs roughly 3 to 5 pounds. When all of the plates are loaded onto the barbell, it weighs roughly 40 to 45 pounds.
If you have additional plates that you want to add on (or keep off to the side to use for some free standing exercises) so you don't have to constantly switch your barbell weight, that's fine too. If you prefer to substitute dumbbells in place of some or all of the barbell exercises you will need a set of weights ranging from 5 to 15 or 20 pounds.
Get ready to "work work"! See you in the morning! PS..You also need a mat :)

Last edited:
Cathe,

Thank you for the very detailed description of equipment needed. That really helps to prep for the workout.

Can't wait to try this one! I did Strong Upper Body + Core (10/23/14) today based on the recommendation of other forum members. I got such an amazing pump from it and really enjoyed that triset / giant set format. I'm sure today's upper body workout will be just as fun and effective! I am loving Cathe Live in a crazy, ridiculous way! :)

Lisa

Last edited:
I just did this workout this morning, and it's giving Strong UB + Core a run for its money as my favorite Cathe Live strength workout so far. Outstanding!
It feels a bit like STS Total UB crossed with a Jari Love w/o like Slim & Lean, where she plays with the rep patterns a lot. Here, Cathe uses supersets/giant sets, or just really long sets that rotate through a bunch of rep patterns. Let's just say my muscles were like, o_O... beyond confused.
Cathe has a small (2.5 lb), medium (5 lb), and large (10 lb) plate for each side, but changes the load a few times. I used the same plate loads, but my bar is 15 lbs (hers is ~4 lbs) and I added my 4 lb microload gloves (4 lbs total). So I was, for the most part, ~15 lbs over Cathe's weight. I guess I was just ready to pump it up! ;) I found that I could manage this load while maintaining form, but did need to throw in a few quick breaks (as well as more than a few expletives -- for that reason, I don't recommend doing this workout within earshot of the very young or the very dainty!). I will certainly repeat this workout in the future with weight loads closer to Cathe's and no breaks for a different challenge.
I removed the loaded gloves (so 4 lbs down) for the second round of uber-sets for tris (lying extensions) and bis (almost like crazy 8s with pulses? let's just call them insane 96s, OK?) because my arms were obliterated. In the best way.
There's a very brief (5 minutes, max) core segment at the end (what? the whole workout is a core segment...) where Cathe pretends her barbell plate (off the bar) is a steering wheel, and she's driving. How could you not love this woman?
It's entirely possible that I'll get DOMS like I haven't felt in... a long time. TBD.
I'll be doing this one again soon.
Roz

great review - thanks Roz. I realise I need to go heavier next time - whether I'll manage 15lb over though??????? Well done!
Hi Justine,
Don't get me wrong, I needed to hit pause for those added rests. And I dropped a rep here and there. But that's what I love about the Live workouts: their flexible flow. Obviously Cathe comes prepared, but ultimately, she's jamming. (I'll skip obvious 'set list' jokes.) Sometimes she's flying by the seat of her rhinestone-studded capris. Sometimes she loses count. So if I lose a rep or slow down, no biggie. It's all a dance. On the other hand, if I miss a rep at the top of a set in, say, STS, I feel compelled to add it on to the end. I suppose it's all my own mindset/approach, but I enjoy both paradigms.
But yeah, if you find the right weight loads, this one's a real winner.
Roz

Yep, I always get to the EXACT rep count in STS etc - even in Tabatacise / PlyoHiiT etc. OCD??? Yep, probably.
When I did Barbell UB Live, though, I did feel I could have nudged the weights up - it's never exact, anyway, as my weights are in kg not lb. I loved the workout - flew by. Perhaps I'll repeat it and add 1kg gloves. Or maybe use my (heavier) EZCurl bar. Or both (if I'm brave).

Thanks for all your imput, ladies. This is on the schedule for Saturday!!! Loved the last "Live Upper Body." I'm with you Roz, she had me at barbell.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.