The stepping learning curve

noraw

Cathlete
Sooo, I am new to Cathe's workouts, new to stepping altogether. I don't want to get discouraged, so, how long did it take you to follow some of Cathe's more complex step moves? I did Basic Step today and tried a couple of combo's off of Athletic Step, and it was difficult to follow at times. Please tell me it gets better? How long did it take you to officially become a "stepper" :cool:

Thanks!

I consider myself someone that's still learning, too. I've stuck to Cathe's low impact stuff, mostly, because I prefer it and the choreography seems a bit easier.
It usually takes me 2-3 times of trying/viewing a DVD before I get it. I can say now that I've mastered Step Moves, and I was really proud of myself for that. It's the most complicated DVD that I've done so far.

So I would say, just stick with it! Practice a DVD a couple of times, and if there is a move that seems more complex, take the time to learn it outside of your workout.
That's been my secret! :)

Thanks Melissa, that gives me some hope! I usually work out first thing in the A.M. before work, so I think I will preview and try some steps the evening before, maybe that'll help. I don't want to count myself out of stepping just yet :D

I've been doing step workouts for six years and I STILL can't get some of the complex stuff - but then, I'm choreography challenged.

I'd suggest trying more straightforward stuff - like the IMAXes - which have short, easy step sequences. Once you get the hang of those, it's a lot easier to do more complicated stuff.

Another trick: Cathe always works to an 8-count beat. If I get lost in tricky choreography, I just substitute a really simple 8-count sequence. So, if Cathe's doing some sort of flying angel-switchback-jump-pony-mambo-chacha thing, I might do an easy L-step sequence and watch what she does a few times. Then I'll ease into the trciky combo. If I get really lost, I can always just do "knees around the world" with a jump to keep my heart rate up until she starts into something more familiar.

Thanks, Afreet! That was one of my concerns, my heart rate dropping when I can't get some of the moves down. I makes it so I'm not getting such a great workout, but if I keep moving, that will help with that issue. The parts I find most difficult is when I would actually have to face away from the tv in order to follow exactly what Cathe is doing LOL

Hang in there Noraw!!! It does take a few times.....I remember the first step class I took years ago....I was so frustrated that I almost didn't go back! but someone told me to hang in there. By the time the second class ended....I was getting it! So don't give up.....You'll have it down before you know it. :p

Thanks Spicegirl, I needed to hear that :) I will definitely give it another go, hopefully will notice improvement!

Afreet is totally correct. I still substitute some more basic easier to master moves when it gets too dancy or confusing or if I am feeling especially uncoordinated that day. Not only does modifying help with your confidence, it keeps your heart-rate up and it is frankly safer until you get comfortable with the moves. My best advice, just have fun and you'll get it!! Welcome!!

I've been stepping with Cathe since around 1992, and I learned as I went.
I'd been doing some other step for several months before that, so I wasn't completely new to step, and I'd learned about mirroring the instructor, and some of the basic steps from that.

That being said, from 4DS step onward, I've had to put more effort into learning some of the moves (a combo of more complex moves and cuing not being what it used to be). Some of the workouts are not keepers for me, because I don't have the patience or time or interest to keep working at step moves that take me more than some previews and a couple of times to "get". If I can't get about 85% of a step workout the first time through, I usually get rid of it or never do it again (4DS HIS is one of the latter), especially if there are other factors that make me not like it.

I personally wouldn't want to start Cathe with STS Cardio step, as it would be harder to get, especially if you haven't done her previous workouts.

The "Classics" and "Cardio Hits" workouts pretty much introduce most of Cathe's basic moves, and would be a good place to start with her step workouts (Cardio Hits is on sale right now, but the shipping is high. It's possible to pick it up elsewhere for less).

The outfits are a bit dated, but the workouts are solid: mostly longer, steady-state workouts, but some with little intervals and/or some step-based leg toning. They are more athletic in nature, IMO, with simpler, but not boring, choreography. Though depending on my mood, some of the segments seem to go on a bit long.

I am not new to stepping. But fairly new to Cathe. I choose to start at the beginning with Basic Step. I also like Low Impact Step.

Thanks so much for sharing your tips and experiences with me! I think I will do Basic Step a few more times before I try something more complex. I guess like anything new, it will take practice :) I was hoping it wasn't just me LOL

Learn without the step, its safer;) Also, while you are learning the workout you don't have to keep your heart rate up, its a learning session not really a workout. Also, you can learn just a little bitty four count or 8 count section at a time, not the whole thing. I use the slow play back feature on my dvd player and I always preview without doing the workout, feet up, protein shake or coconut milk in hand.:p

I can relate!! I did Basic Step for the second time today and I was MUCH better but still do not have it mastered especially when I add my arms in. I also have to pay close attention to what foot I step up and down with. I'm not sure if stepping will be my thing (I am usually a running and elliptical girl) but I am going to keep trying. The time flies and I get a good sweat going so I really hope it is something I can catch on to. I wish you luck! I'm right there with you.

Thanks RapidBreath, great idea to have a "training session" before the workout.

Jancpa, I am sooo glad I am not alone! Good luck to you as well. We will have to revisit this in about a month and see where we are. Happy Stepping!;)

Noraw: Kudos to you for not giving up! Step is not the easiest format to learn and can be very frustrating. I second what Afreet suggested: use a basic but big move to keep the heart rate up during those times when you get lost.
As step instructor, I always tell new people in my class to go back to alternating knees or a running basic step if they get lost in the choreography and join in when we get past the stuff that confuses them. I have observed with my classes there is a learning curve for brand new steppers of about 4 classes: it takes a lot to remember the step vocabulary, stay on beat AND keep up with the choreography.
I always review any new workout dvd first before actually doing it just so I can familiarize myself with the workout and do a "dry run" on any of the tricky stuff. I find this helps me keep my heart rate up during the workout, avoiding the frustration of going cold during the workout.
As far as Cathe's dvds are concerned, the older ones are great for new steppers because the choreography is much simpler. While I love complex step moves, I have found that a more athletic, basic step routine often is better for getting the heart rate up there. I second the IMAX suggestion- easier step combos and wonderful interval drills are the perfect recipe for a great workout

I'm just learning step too. I make it a goal to build on my step routine every other day. So, yesterday I mastered the warm up of Low Impact Circuit and practiced combo #1. Then I did the weights part of the DVD to get a complete workout. Tomorrow, I'll try to do the warm up, master combo #1 and practice combo #2 before completing the rest of the weights exercises. By do it little-by-little but finishing with weights, I feel as if I'm still getting a full workout while I learn.

Another thing I've noticed is once you get it down, the move knowledge is transferred to her other DVDs. So I don't think it'll be so hard when we move on to other Cathe step workouts. The routine in High Step Circuit is also very easy to master, but you need a high step.

So I took your advice, Ladies, and after my Hiit 40/20 workout, I popped in Athletic Step, and practiced Combo #1 and part of Combo #2, and what do you know? I actually got better at it and had so much fun with it!

Lor, I think you are absolutely right. Once you get used to some of the moves and the cueing (sp?), other step workouts may be a little easier to follow.

Serene, thanks for providing the learning curve for your new step students. I can see how after about 4 tries, it would get a whole lot easier!

I think I see IMAX workouts in my future ;)

I find previewing (once before and then once after I've tried the workout to go over any tricky moves) helps me a lot. But sometimes (even after several years of stepping) I just don't get a move. In that case I just keep moving! I figure that it's not a dance class, the point is to keep my heart rate up. Once I started being a little easier on myself, everything fell into place. My favorite Cathe step is still IMax 2. Oh I just love, love, love that one.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back