The "name our puppy" contest - any ideas??

RE: Everyone, BUT Briee!

Also Caesar, Luke, Moses( I do like this one too!), Zeke(short for Ezekiel), Zion(for Mt. Zion), Gabriel, Abel, Abe(Abraham),Amos, Bart(for Bartholomew),Ezra, Simon....
Have fun choosing and loving your new puppy! Susan

RE: The "name our puppy" contest - any ideas??

Okay guys, we left yesterday at 6:00am and didn't get back until 7:00 in the evening. We were grilled for hours before she would let the puppy go home with us...whew. Mastiff people are intense (we are too so I understand). My husband checked the forum when he saw that I had like 32 cathe notices by email. He was excited about the name Shiloh and we did a search on the meaning and it is really cool ("where the Israelites met with God" and it goes from there). The only thing the kids didn't like was that there is some video out about a beagle named Shiloh (oh brother, name associations of all things x( ). We were calling him this for a few hours just to try it out (he's really confused now!!).

I want to thank everyone for the great suggestions, this really did help. In our past are the names (some of these were given to our puppies at placement) Ezekial (became a champion in one weekend - he's our star puppy), Goliath, Zach, Apollo, Max, Boris is this puppies grandfather and I love him, Winston, Reggie, and the greatest Samson. He was our male that we just lost. And DEBBIE (yes you who weren't supposed to post) our daughter's name is Hannah and we are always calling her Hannah banana which would be quite confusing with Tanana banana, but I loved your other suggestions. I'd love to name him Ezra, but may name our baby this if it's a boy.

Now don't get mad at me because this wasn't my decision....they named him Aslan which is the Lion from the Lion, the witch and the wardrobe.....kind of neat as Aslan's character is an allegory of the life of Jesus Christ. There is also a saying in the Mastiff world "the lion is to the cat, what the mastiff is to the dog" and they have a drawing of the Mastiff standing in an outline of a lion. Our names are very important to us as we are showing them. Thanks so much again. If you leave your address I will send doggie bones to each of you in appreciation:7 :7 :7 :7

Briee

Briee,

Aslan sounds perfect...one of my favorites by C.S. Lewis! Have fun with your new Mastiff pup! My husband and I will probably get a Mastiff sometime in the future. Hopefully, you can post a pic!

Dawn :0)

I always liked the name Cyrus for a big male dog. We have a female black lab and her name is Nittany (my husband is a die hard Penn State fan).

Kim

Thanks Dawn...let us know when your ready for a puppy, we just may have one at that time possibly. I can't believe....we brought him home and within a day our two females who are about 3 months late coming into heat are standing for him already...amazing what the scent of a male can do (he has a long way to go and much testing before he's ready for that - but try to tell them that!!)

Briee

doggie bible names:

boaz, which in hebrew means "in him strength." a perfect name for such a huge dog!

Yitzhak (or in English, Isaac), which in hebrew is "laughter" for all the laughing you will do with your dog

non-bible names

Tiny. Well it just seems funny doesn't it!

i named my big dog "dogma" because like most dogma's he is absolutely cute and cuddly but dumb as a rock!

Briee, I love the name you chose!! Aslan is beautiful and probably very fitting for your mastiff puppy.
The C.S. Lewis story portrays him as just SO BEAUTIFUL !! (If I remember correctly---it's been many years since I read that series.)

Great choice. I hope you all are really enjoying 'Aslan' a lot. Do you raise dogs?

Linda;)

Well I love the Grendel suggestion- my doggie's name was Beowulf (newfoundland). Only Grendel is female. What a great suggestion though!!

How about Apollo?
Or Baxter?
Or Eddie?
I lost my train of thought so those are it from me!! :)

Thanks Linda, yes we do raise mastiff's occassionally and occassionally show them. They are a major love for our family!! Our puppy is such a sweetheart, only two accidents in the house, not too bad for a mastiff. They are typically a little slow in development. Bodily development is extremely fast though!! He is about 65 pounds now and gaining weight almost as fast as DebbieH's posts are going up!!

Thanks to everyone for all your wonderful suggestions...they really were very appreciated!!

Briee

bummer I missed it. I was going to suggest silly names like "Tiny" or "Kitty." DH & I want to get another Boxer & name it "Kitty." Can't you just picture calling your dog "Here Kitty!" LMAO

This probably won't help, but I think it's funny...

I have a friend who wants to get a dog and name it Stella. So when he calls it he can yell "STELLA!! STELLA!!"...think Brando. Hey, Brando could be a good name! :p :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.