The foiled terrorist attack...

Liz556

Cathlete
I am so shaken by the terrorist attack that was broken up by British police. Can you imagince what would have happened if the terrorists had been able to precede with their plan? I pray everday that a tragedy like September 11th will never happen again but the scary thing is that we never know. The terrorists will never give up. Plus all those people stuck in airports! How awful! Thanks to our troops who protect us everyday. Just thought I'd send out my thoughts.

*Liz*

Sadly I don't think it is a matter of "if" but "when." :( What's really scary too is that alot of these European countries are dealing with homegrown terrorists. These are not immigrants disenchanted with Western life, or even terror imports, but young people who have grown up in that culture, be it Germany or Spain or the UK, and still they are going the radical route. Sort of blows the whole "If they knew us they'd like us" theory some folks have.

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

I was shaken all morning long, but then I thought well thank God it didn't happen (and they got caught) and I calmed down. I was watching CNN and they said that this investigation started in December and they were just waiting for the right time to catch as many suspects as they could.

The story is unraveling. Thursday morning the attack was reported as imminent, the explosives were captured and some other anxiety builders.

As the day went on it then was clarified that the perps didn't have reservations or tickets for flights, didn't have the "cocktails" but plans for them.

I'm glad it was foiled but why did the respective governments overhype the news?

Who do you believe the media or the bogus press conferences?

I want to know what the guy in Michigan was planning on 600 Cell phones with the 600 cell phones he was buying with laundered money. That probably has a story to it as well.

dave

The whole thing *is* scary...and you're right, Sparrow, the reality of our times. We also have to keep in mind...Terrorists are everywhere, including here in our midst. It doesn't really matter about the culture they've been exposed to. The religious beliefs for these fanatical Muslims supercede everything else. (As of now, I understand the thwarted attackers are mostly British Muslims, many of whom have Pakistani ancestry.) I must say, though, that the idea that "if they knew us, they'd like us" is a rather ill-informed theory. I'm not sure why some of our fellow Americans don't get it. They - the terrorists - are zealots...there is no rational thought there. They hate the US because of our government's policies and actions throughout the years and because they've been brainwashed about evil Western ways.

Dave, interesting. Ugh, the media. They completely overhyped the ban on carry-on items. The way our local newswoman gasped when she said that you couldn't even take on contact lens solution (!), you'd have thought that was catastrophic. Wow, what will people do if they have to wear their glasses or not listen to their iPods for a few hours?? Hey, I'll gladly take no carry-on and would rather endure the extra hours of wait time if it means my safety is going to be ensured!

Yesterday, CNN.com had an interesting article which described men living in the US who had purchased numerous cellphones and were unsure what they were planning. I find that having terrorists living here is even more disturbing.

The fact that these people could easily disturb things we take for granted (water, electricity) is frightening in itself. I know in our small community, one could easily poison our water supply or do a mulitude of horrible things to upset our way of life.

I believe, as others have said, that we are on a long road with these people. World War III? I think so. I was in the first Gulf War and I have the same sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time the MidEast is mentioned in the news. I clearly remember being at sea on a supply ship waiting for the war to begin. Albeit I was not afraid at the time for myself, I was more afraid of what the future would hold.

Hold on to your families and thank every vet you know. Go to bed every night thankful that you and your family is intact. Lord knows I do.

Melissa
Paragonah, UT

I agree with you Dave. Some of the news has been hyped. During the first Gulf war, my Dad would ask me about "current events" and it would be either overhyped or completely wrong. It is kind of sick. I really feel for soldier's families. I know when I was in my parents were glued to the television...

Well it apalls me.
How can any human being think ang god would want them to blow them selves and others up? I just don't get it. These people must be really brainwashed.
It really makes you not want to travel.
I really think Europe has more of a handle on things than the US.
Like when the bomb in the subway. Thay seemed to get them alot faster.
I just really wish everyone could live in peace. Why does there have to be war and hatred?
Anne

http://www.picturetrail.com/acatalina

I'm shaken also. My DH works in downtown Manhattan, and on 9/11, we couldn't get through to each other... and I was freaking out wondering what was happening to him down there. He was finally able to get through to his mother in FL, who called me to tell me he was OK. He got home later with dust all over him... and my kids wondering what the heck was covering their Daddy. My daughter had to do a "timeline" for school last year, and she added "My dad survives 9/11" on it. Certainly an eye-opener... just think about what the children are feeling when they see and hear these horrible things. How can we protect them?

The media was hyping but then again so were the respective governments in their press conferences. You think that at least the public officials would keep their mouths shut until they had the story correct.
Didn't they learn from the recent West Virginia mine accident?

They're still unsure of the plotters timeline as the reservations/tickets weren't bought.

On a side note what can you mix with "gatorade" to make it explosive. One story has the gatorade being substituted, another has it being added to. Can you hijack a plane with Mentos and Pepsi?

I know on 9/11 I was saddened by the world I was passing on to my kids. In retrospect terrorism, famine, ethnic cleansing, and disease are parts of the majority of the worlds lot, why would I think we were immune?

dave

I'm not really sure what the news is like where anyone else is located, but I am in NEPA and I would say the news hasn't indicated any hype that is less than deserved. The explosive was reportedly liquid hydrogen peroxide (if you are unsure of its explosive properties, google for more info) colored to look like a sports drink and contained in a sports drink container with a false bottom. That seems like pretty specific information to me.

Also, while they had not yet bought the tickets, they were reportedly in the process of perusing flights in order to find a variety that would be in the air at the same time. The attack was alleged to coordinate with 9/11.

I for one am happy to hear that someone in government is doing their job and doing it well. I don't think it was something they stumbled upon, but rather something that a lot of people worked on together, so if they want some hype, I'm all for participating!

Marie

...it's a shame people don't feel this bad for the civilians that have died this past month in lebanon...they haven't lived in the 'fear' of an attack...they've had their whole lives torn apart.

i actually lived in lebanon in the early 80s during the war. i can tell you that living in fear of a *possible* terror attack, and hearing the fighter planes firing above you as you sleep are two different things.

I, for one, was happy that TSA made extra precautions in having those on domestic flights not have anything liquid on the planes. I was one of those passengers yesterday with enough advanced warning to ship back my liquids home instead of standing in a long line to check my luggage. I truly felt badly for those on an early morning flight with NO notice! I heard from a co-worker on a 6 AM flight that he saw someone who had to give up a bottle of wine!

I would rather be inconvenienced instead of potentially losing one's life. I am just saddened by the events in the world and all of the hate.

Lorrayne

Lorrayne,
I completely agree--I don't mind the restrictions...just thought the Philly media was making it sound like a huge sacrifice not to be able to carry liquid items or iPods, of all things. As I stated before, I'll gladly forego ALL carry-on if it means I'll get where I'm going safely! As for the wine, I hope the person "disposed" of it wisely! :)

>
>...it's a shame people don't feel this bad for the civilians
>that have died this past month in lebanon...they haven't lived
>in the 'fear' of an attack...they've had their whole lives
>torn apart.

Don't you think you're making an awfully big, judgmental leap? What makes you think no one here feels bad about the civilians in Lebanon? Or other war-torn countries?

I was able to carry on my iPod, cell phone, and laptop. I just placed my smaller electronic devices in a separate bin to go through the x-ray. No problem as all!

I agree with you. I hope that person with the wine bottle was able to pass it around to those nearby. I bet the security folks went home that evening with a ton of goodies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back