Technique to possibly avoid episiotomies and / or tears

Sheila

Cathlete
I have already posted this under the original heading "Postpartum Exercise Progression" but it really doesn't belong there as this is a "prenatal" subject not a postpartum one!

We have had a lot of talk on our forum lately regarding episiotomies and tears. There is a technique, "Perineal Massage," that might help you increase your chances of delivering your baby without the need for an episiotomy. We give this handout to all of our prenatal clients when they join our class. I first heard about it when I worked with a group of midwives in the Washington, DC area many years ago before I had my two kids. It is sometimes given to women in their childbirth classes as well.

The text follows:

PERINEAL MASSAGE

Perineal massage is a technique used to increase the possibility of delivering a baby without an episiotomy. It stretches the perineal tissues, resulting in less resistance to the birth of the baby, and less need to cut into the tissue to make room for the delivery. If the muscles of the pelvic floor are relaxed, there will also be less resistance. Doing the massage helps a woman identify those muscles and learn to relax them in response to pressure. Massaging the oil into the perineum may soften the tissue, again reducing resistance and the need for an episiotomy.

The massage should be done daily for at least five minutes, beginning about six to ten weeks before your due date.

Either you or your partner can do the massage.

Some people recommend wheat germ oil, available at health food stores, but other vegetable oils could be substituted.

Make yourself comfortable, lying in a semi-seated position against some pillows.

The first few times you do this, take a mirror and look at your perineum so that you know what you are doing.

Dip your fingers into the oil and rub it into the perineum and lower vaginal wall.

If you are doing the massage yourself, it is probably easiest to use your thumbs. Your partner can use their index fingers. Put your fingers three inches into the vagina and press downward (toward the rectum). Maintaining steady pressure, slide your fingers upward along the sides of the vagina, moving them in a rhythmic “U” or “sling type” movement. This movement will stretch the vaginal tissue (mucosa), the muscles surrounding the vagina, and the skin of the perineum. You will feel tight in the beginning, but with time and practice, the tissue will relax and stretch.

Concentrate on relaxing your muscles as you apply pressure.

As you become comfortable massaging, use enough pressure until the perineum just begins to sting from the tension that you apply. You will later recognize this stinging sensation as the baby’s head is being born and your perineum stretches around it.

Good luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.