Sweating too much?

I have a question for all you Cathe fans....I was just wondering how much you all sweat during exercise?

I know I know, bit of a weird question but the thing is I went to a new Spinning class yesterday and (as usual) I was sweating abslute buckets - I was literally dripping all over the bike (sorry to be so graphic :p). The thing was though, no one else in the class was sweating anywhere NEAR as much as me and I felt really self-conscious and kind of embarassed and I've started to wonder if maybe I sweat more than a 'normal' amount....Generally I start sweating a few minutes into a warm-up and by the end of a 30-60minute session my workout clothes are soaked!

So, if you don't mind sharing, how much do you sweat and what is a 'normal' amount of sweat?

Sally

(PS - I have read that the fitter you get the more you sweat, is this true? I find it hard to believe that I'm fitter than the spinning instructor who took the class yesterday and he wasn't sweating anywhere near as much as me so I'm a little dubious about this claim - I wonder if my copious sweating is more because I was the LEAST fi person in the class?)

I thought that I had heard that the fitter you are the LESS you sweat. But, really I just think that everyone is different. My DH and I will go out for a run and he'll be sweating like crazy, while I am nearly dry as a bone. I think that is just the way we are.
Then the other day we were having lunch with friends at an outdoor restaurant and it was probably 95 in the shade. I was drenched (YUCK!x( ) and looked around I thought I was the only one like that! Go figure!

Gin

When I used to go to the gym and take step and kickboxing classes, I looked like someone poured a bucket of water over me when I was done. Just tonight, I did the Cardio Blast premix of BM2 and during the strecth, was DRIPPING all over my mat. I would literally slide around when we changed positions.

Kim

I sweat a lot and always have. I look liked a drowned rat when I finish working out.

The other evening I was so warm from working out, I took off my top and finished the workout topless.....fortunately I am not busty at all.

And I have heard the fitter you are, the more you sweat, but don't know how true that is.

I sweat a lot and always have. I have also heard that the fitter you are the more you sweat and that you will start to sweat sooner than the average person. It's like your body saying, ok you're going to work out now and I need to start cooling you off since sweating helps to keep your body temperature regulated.

I used to workout with a friend of mine and I swear she was bone dry and I was always dripping sweat. She was working out just as hard but I guess she doesn't have the same number of sweat glands that I have.

I was taught that horses sweat, men perspire and women glisten....well I glisten like a PIG!!:+ :p :7 I've been very fat and I've been very fit, either way I sweat profusely. Fitness doesn't make much difference, we are hardwired to sweat through our individual physiology. Like you I used to wonder if I was normal or if I had more 'toxins'; now I'm Zen with it...it is what it is...just don't forget your towel :)

Take Care
Laurie

Count me in as someone who sweats like a PIG!!! Anyone that was near me in class on the RT will attest to that. I teach Cardio/Sculpt classes and let me tell you, I have two towels with me, one for me and one for the floor. I literally drip all over. My students are pretty used to me by now. I am pretty self conscious about it, but what can I do. It's just a trade off I guess!

I've never been a big sweater but since working out with Cathe for the last several months I sweat more and quicker than I ever have, unless I'm running outside. Everyone is different, I would think some of it has to do with the temperature of where you work out and the intensity of your workout. Generally if I just start out with a warm up whether it be Cathe or running on a treadmill, I don't usually break a sweat until I'm about 12 minutes into the workout, then it never stops. In Dallas it gets pretty hot outside which is why I stay in for cardio unless its early in the morning.

Horray for Fall!!

Annette

You can wring out my clothes after a work out (and I am not kidding). I sweat like CRAZY!!! Unfortunately, short of not working out there is nothing I can do about it. I only wear black cloths to the gym to avoid embarrassing stains.

>I thought that I had heard that the fitter you are the LESS
>you sweat.

I've actually read quite the opposite. The fitter you are, the sooner you start to sweat because your body gets used to the fact that you are going to raise your body temperature, and gets ready to cool down faster.

I sweat alot also, always have when I work out. If it makes you feel better, Cathe sweats alot too! I think that's why you'll usually see her in dark pants/shorts. And she never seems to be embarrassed by it ... another role model area for us! DEb

I sweat alot too, and for some reason circuit workouts make me "glisten" ! the most, which is weird.

I'm with you other black pant/short people.. I've long given up wearing lighter colored bottoms to the gym.. didn't want anybody to think I was incontinent.. yes, my butt sweats alot too! :(

PS.. Laurie... I laughed out loud when you said you "glisten like a pig"!

Take care, Lynn M.

LOL! My butt sweats too! Sometimes, I tie a bandanna around my head and it will be soaked with sweat! It all pours from my head and drenches everything from the neck down. But, like you other ladies have said, there is nothing you can do about it!

I've got hyperhydrosis, so sweating alot is something I've grown used to. Maybe that's one reason why I started working out at home. I remember bumping into a friend once when I was out running, and she was so concerned about my sweating.... I think she thought I was going to have a heart attack or something. I had to keep assuring her that it was normal, that is, normal for me! Every once in a while I think about getting botox for the underarm sweating... but that's not going to do a thing for all the sweat that pours off my head! If you sweat alot, but feel fine, not light headed or anything, I would think it's just a natural way for your body to cool off.

I am another who "glistens like a pig" when I work out hard, and I'm "Zen with it" (your whole post made me chuckle, Laurie).

What I DON'T like - and this is kind of strange - is that whether it's warm or cool, I seem to sweat when I'm wearing Oxford shirts, for some reason. Only Oxford shirts are the problem. I once tried those sweat-absorbing stick-on pads that go in your shirt but now just use baby powder. It seems to have helped. But anyway, that's the only time I'm self-conscious about my sweat.

[font face="heather" font color=brick red size=+2]~Cathy [/font face] http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif
"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

I sweat a lot too, my shorts usually look like I peed my pants when I have a good cardio session. I have to wear a T-shirt to collect my sweat too, even though I'd be more comfortable without one. I also in daily life can not wear white T-shirts, something about my alkalinity turns the "pits" really yellow. Yuck!

Sally

Another big sweater here (raises hand)...

That's one reason I work out at home. I know I would be too embarrassed at a gym looking like someone dunked me in the pool!

I used to sweat a whole lot from my armpits during everyday activity (especially during puberty). It was really awful.

What really helped me was a product called Certain Dri. You put in on at night and let it dry for about 5mins before putting on any clothes. In a few days, my sweating was almost completely gone. It doesn't interfere with necessary sweating, like during exercise.

I still go through times where I sweat more than usual. I just use the product for a couple of days and it clears it right up.

Now if only I could solve the "under the breasts" sweat. Yuck...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.