supplements

Kimenem

Cathlete
What is everyone taking? It seems easy to overdo it when it comes to vitamins and supplements. Right now, I take a hair vitamin and a fish oil supplement. I wanted to add vitamin E and a B-complex.

Kim

I am probably one that overdoes it but I take the following supplements:

Vitamin E
Vitamin B-Complex
Vitamin C
Lysine
Glucosamine

multivitamin/mineral (Fuhrman's "Gentle Care")
vegan DHA supplment
B12 (or a homocysteine spray that contains B12)

I just started taking B-12 (3 weeks ago) 1500mg by Sundown. They say the % of daily value is 25,000%. I asked my doc and he said that was fine. Just make sure to take it with food! I also take a generic form of Women's One a Day and a Calcium + D. I feel GREAT!!!

Multivitamin
Calcium (w/Zinc & Magnesium)
Fish OIl (2000 mg)
Vitamin E
Vitamin C
Vitamin D3

Marcia

Multivitamin
EFA's
Calcium/zinc/magnesium
Coenzyme q
CLA (tonalin)

And then there's birth control pills, my wellbutrin also - it's a gagfest getting them all down in the am?

Does anyone take their's at night vs. in the am? I worry about my am coffee fix and "peeing out" all my supplements (at least Tosca says she takes them at night...)

Heidi

Well in addition to my stuff, I also take BCP, allegra, and Ativan. I also heard that dry Vitamin E is better for your skin that the oil.

I take the following:

GNC's Womens Ultra-Mega's (they got into trouble about their vitamins, and now are regulated to have all the ingredients they say they have, so I trust this vitamin)

Biotin-hair, skin, nails

B-12-dissolving kind-energy

Dandelion-liver

Uva ursi-during that time of the month for bloat

Oxydrene-muscle/tissue oxygenator-the best supplement out there for increasing endurance

Chromium-reduces sugar cravings

Milk Thistle-liver, cleansing

Omega's-heart health, overall health

Vitamin C-everything!

Vitex/Chaste berry-PMS related

Digestive Enzymes-aids in digestion

CLA-may help with bodyfat reduction

Glutamine-aids in muscle recovery

Ibuprofen-after hard workouts!
;)

Glucosamine-joint health

Flax oil-1 teaspoon in my protein shakes

Sorry you asked huh?;) I kinda split mine up, take some in the Am and then some with dinner PM. :7

>Does anyone take their's at night vs. in the am?

I don't, but it's a good idea to take calcium before bedtime, as it can also help with sleep (same with calcium/magnesium blends).

One thing to watch out for is not taking nighttime pills too close to bedtime, as they may not make their way down to the stomach as quickly as they should if you lie down too soon after taking them. I'd say about 1/2 hour to 1 hour before bedtime.

Calcium is the only supplement I take at night (for the reason Kathryn said) and I take it about 1 hour before bedtime.

Hello,

This is just my .02 - it is a bit long, but I hope it helps you out!

I get my supplements from Shaklee. My dietician recommended this brand as they have no fillers in them. She showed me several brands of supplement pills that were placed in an oven at 350 degrees. They all came out looking charred in various spots. Some were worse than others and the Flintstones brand was the worst - completely black. The blackness are burnt fillers - toxins and chemicals used to create the pill cheaply. The Shaklee ones had no charring on them.

If you are looking for a good supplement, I would recommend the Shaklee brand. You can get them online easi and they are not too expensive. I ran all of this by my GP first and he was all for it.

I take the Optiflora Prebiotic and Probitic Complexes. The dietician instructed me to take that 2x per day. I am also using Cinch (chocolate flavor) protein shake for breakfast. This is the best one out there. It is a very dense shake though - have to warn you about that. It is not as flavorful as some of the other ones on the market, but then again there are no added fillers or flavors or sugars either. This shake is about as pure as you can get. I also take their Liver DTX 3x per day and the Alfalfa 2x per day - 6 pills each time.

After workouts I use Physique. I was having a problem with being absolutely famished after my workouts. I would start eating 30 minutes after I was done and then I would still be starving and hour later.I would eat again and then still be hungry an hour later! This was sabotaging my weightloss efforts. The dietician recommend I give this a try. WOW! I was impressed. I drink one of these shakes (also dense) 15 minutes after I work out and it really seems to replenish me and I am no longer starving 30 minutes after I am done my workout. I will be ready to eat a real meal about 2 - 2.5 hours later. That was amazing to me.

I will be ordering a B-Complex supplement from them soon. I am confident that I will see improvements from that as well.

One side note: I asked her about the GNC brand since I was using their protein shakes before. She said they were the worst on the market and advised me not to use them. They have a lot of fillers in them and the body cannot handle the added ingredients. Plus, not all protein supplements are created equally - there is a huge difference in how the body utilizes whey, soy, and animal proteins. Soy is best, but there requirements to how that soy must be treated to be the most effective - there are guidelines on how it must be extracted. I have additional info on this (and other stuff) if you would like - I can send it to you if you email me.

Sorry that was so long winded. I recently discovered the benefits of seeing a registered dietician and taking supplements so I am really excited about nutrition. I hope that helps and good luck to you!

That's a lot of good info! Thanks. Funny you should mention GNC. I was in one of their stores tonight looking around...didn't buy though. I'm going to check out the Shaklee brand. I want to take a b-complex but am already taking 5000mcg of Biotin and all the b-complex vitamins have some biotin. Supplements are hard!

Kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.