Supplements

lladehawk

Was wondering in any of you had used supplements and what your experience with them has been? I was doing Body for Life for awhile but was concerned about the supplements they wanted you to use...so did not continue with it.

RE: Caveat Emptor . . .

Call me a conservative old battle-ax if you want, but I am deeply suspicious of any commercial diet supplementation, regardless of if it's from Body For Life or K-Mart or a doctor's office. The diet supplementation industry is almost entirely, or indeed entirely, unregulated, and my own opinion is that supplements are at best marginally effective, and at worst dangerous, and you as a hapless consumer will probably have no recourse against the purveyor of them.

I never said I wasn't a noodge . . .

Annette

I have to agree with Annette on this issue. I personally feel that supplements are unnecessary if you eat a balanced diet. The only thing I've ever taken is a multi-vitamin, but my doctor told me I don't really even need that. I look at it this way...If you can get all the vitamins, minerals, etc. that you need from foods (and I love food), why try to get them from an artificial supplement, or even an herb? In certain situations, like during pregnancy or for people with serious deficiencies, supplements may be essential, but otherwise I think they are pretty much a waste of money. Just my humble opinion--I'm certainly no expert.
Cruncholi

Hi Lladehawk! I don't recommend the supplements that are used for Body for Life strictly because they contain asphartame. Extremely bad for you. I found that using Bodywise products have helped me tremendously. They don't contain anything harmful and they have wonderful consultants to help with any questions that you may have. Check out the website. I highly recommend these products. They supply your body with a great amount of nutrients and the workout formula will give you a lot of stamina to go longer and harder with your workouts. Take care, Kathy

Now that we are talking about supplements, I have two questions I was going to post as a new thread but since this one has already been started I will ask them here.

I wandered into a Sports Nutrition store yesterday.

Question #1: Green Tea. What is it supposed to do for you? I have read that it is good for you, but how? Anyone drink this often, and if so, has it helped you in any way?

Question #2: L Glutamine. The owner of the store, a goddess who has a body just like Cory Everson's, told me she uses this all the time and has good results. I realize that she is in business to sell supplements so I am asking this crowd what this amino acid is supposed to do? She advised taking on teaspoon of powder an hour before exercise and another teaspoon afterward. It mixes in any liquid. Has anyone ever used this stuff? Has it done anything for you besides lighten your wallet? Any negative side effects?

Thanks so much for your help and feedback.

Marlene

I agree, I don't think anyone should take to many supplements. I was also told by my doctor that if I eat a balanced diet that I don't need to take vitamins except for a calcium supplement.

As for herbs, recently my cousin was taking a muscle relaxant and an anti-inflamatory and he was also taking some herb (I don't know which) and he had a seizure in the middle of the night so severe he broke both of his shoulders. So I would be very careful what you take and what you mix it with.

I drink green tea one or two times a day. I like having a cup about an hour before my afternoon workout. I really have more endurance when i drink it. Supposedly it raises your metabolism and contains anti-oxidants, but who knows if it has increased my metabolism or not!

Green tea is the same plant as black tea, plain old basic English "tea", it just hasn't been roasted. It contains caffeine, that is why it boosts your metabolism, but it is a very small dose of caffeine so is considered more healthy than coffee. Also, because it is a green plant, it has antioxidants. They claim even more health benefits for it, but those are the basic things you can expect.

Hi.
I drink Green Tea every day. I started out drinking black tea to get away from coffee. Coffee really gives me a lot of stomach problems. After I was on the black tea for a while, I switched to green tea. I have found that is isn't as bitter to me. I also add one teaspoon of sugar (i know its bad but I like it). I drink around 2-3 cups per day. I have a friend with cancer and his doctor has put him on 7 cups per day. I drink it chilled too for dinner (decaf). I just prefer it to black tea. I hear it is good for you and has anti-oxidants. It is rumored to help prevent cancer. They also claim that it can reduce aging and wrinkling. I can say that my stomach has thanked me for the switch, I have noticed a few fine lines disappear but this could be the water I drink or vitamin E, I thankfully don't know about its effect on cancer. I've read several articles on it (especially in Health mag) and it always gets positive feedback. I would tell you to give it a shot. It is also good with honey in it and lemon. You might like it but I am just not sure of its real health benefits.

At my doctor's direction, I take a multi, vitamin E, vitamin C, garlic, and fish oil during the summer. The extras are immuno-enhancing.
My multi-vitamin is a liquid by Tropical Oasis, called All-in-One. It has vitamins, minerals, aminos, and herbs. All I can say is when I don't take it, for example I went on vacation for a week and forgot it, I immediately notice a difference in my hair, nails, and skin. It's $23 for a month supply, tastes great, and seems to really make a difference for me.
When I used to take the cheapo over the counter tablets, I really did not notice any difference. With this product it is very obviously at a minimum keeping my hair, nails, and skin in great condition.
I think for most people, a multi-vitamin is plenty.

Thanks for all of your input. I think it is basically the same way I have felt...so much of the supplement industry is just in it for the profit...and the health concerns are quite real also.

I did take a herbal class about a year ago from a very knowledgable teacher. Her very first comment to the class was that you have to be very careful with herbs...they are a natural medicine and in the wrong amounts or variations can do more harm than good.

I also would like to share that an Amish friend of mine...a young woman with cancer...treated it totally with natural herbs...I believe green tea was high on her list. That was over 15 years ago and she is a healthy woman today...so perhaps there is something to the claims.

I drink green and black tea, often mixed. I read that black tea has some benefits that green tea doesn't, and v.v.
They certainly don't seem to do me any harm, & I feel more energetic since I started them. They also taste good!
On my Doc's recommendation I take a multi-vitamin/mineral, vit. c, vit. e, 1 aspirin, & CoQ10. I wouldn't really bother with anything else, I don't trust the complicated supplements either. Also my wallet would complain!
Oh, I have started taking glucosamine for my arthritis & the difference is amazing. It's really helped my Dane as well.
Ruth :)

I should try to cultivate a taste for tea, Ruth. I am afraid I am a coffee addict...just because I love the taste ... in the morning especially...guess it is a comfort thing going back to my childhood days at my grandparents...always started the day around the big oak table before barn chores with coffee, fresh cream skimmed from the milk jugs, sugar and homemade donuts!!! And I wonder why I have a weight problem...oh my...those WERE the good old days.

I still have my morning cup of coffee, & don't intend to stop. It's the only coffee I drink all day & I don't drink sodas, so I feel no guilt!
Okay, the fresh cream & donuts have started an intense craving in me! LOL I remember starting every day sitting at the dining room table with Grandaddy & our morning coffee. Unfortunately, he also smoked camel non-filters, which ultimately contributed to his death. I miss him every day of my life. I also smoked for years, undoubtedly due to early "training". At least I am recovering from that addiction!
But donuts...
;-)

How times have changed! I remember being mesmerized by my grandparents when they smoked...they rolled their own...had this little cabinet next to the wing chair with all the supplies...it was like a big mystery to us and we felt honored to make those little white things. Then they started buying the cartons, already made up...now these people had very little money...so this must have been a big expense even back then....and then one day they both quit smoking. These were incredibly hardworking people, farmers and trappers and lumberjacks...I imagine they are shaking their heads in that next dimension laughing at how hard we work at staying in shape and how much money we spend to do it.

Anyway, back to business...I got my bar today so tomorrow morning I will give it a try...the Troy lite with the weight package...after my cup of coffee, of course... : )

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-01 AT 05:45AM (Est)[/font][p]I enjoy reading your posts, like the way you string words together. Read your bio, and, oops! You're a writer "by nature." We have several word-smiths around here, Susan P in particular, who checks in once in a while but is in the process of moving, so she is very busy.

I have a Grandmother (great aunt, actually....it's a long story) who is going to be 96 next month. She has had lousy habits all her life, like eating too much, negative attitude, not being able to tell the truth to save her, and on and on. Pure genetics, that's the only explanation to her long life. She was very heavy when she was younger, but got thinner as she got older. She goes to the grocery store and zips through the aisles pushing her own cart and filling it with Stouffer's frozen dinners(NOT Lean Cuisine, either!) and donut holes.

I am taking my turn at chauffering her around today as she gets her "hair done" and does her grocery shopping, all the time complaining about anything and everything. Don't get her started on politics and foreign golfers! Yikes! I'll need a box of Twinkies to recover from that later!

HB

Glad you enjoy the writing...I type fast and it is nice to air our thoughts sometimes, isn't it? I probably wander a bit but it is my excuse to actually write. I do some editing in the morning for a professional writer friend of mine...and was thinking yesterday morning as I sat here on my mountaintop with the sun streaming in through the big window how nice it would be to do this full time. I am a mild-mannered accountant by day...but it certainly doens't fulfill any creative genes in myself...BUT it does pay the bills.

I love reading all of the posts on this site...it is really one of the first sites I have found where all seem so genuine...and supportive...no hidden agendas.

Your aunt sounds interesting to say the least, HB. I am blessed to have had a lot of very strong wonderful hardworking women in my life from my mom to grandmothers and great aunts! They were pioneers in the old sense...and I think that spirit helped me survive thirty years of an abusive marriage. I wish the males in my life had been as supportive but I look at that part of my life as a lesson and compress it into a small enough space so it doesn't seem overwhelming at all anymore. I have a 90 year old aunt as well...probably the opposite of yours though HB...she still lives on her dairy farm, alone, takes her aspirin when the aches and pains get to be too much, dances every weekend and two years ago was hand gliding in Hawaii...GOD!...I hope I am like that in 40 years!!! These ladies all live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan...very hearty stock!

As to weightlifting and exercise (back to the main topic... : )...)...they can empower you not just physically but spiritually as well...I am certain most of you find that to be true. Not in a superficial sense at all...but the feeling of well-being one receives from it. I have found when I am in relationships that are demeaning that my body follows a downward spiral...I lose interest in life, etc...but when I am free of that pressure that little light starts shining again. I guess the wisest thing to do is to listen more carefully to ourselves and learn from the past...

Ah, early morning philosophy...

And I enjoy reading your posts as well HB...feel free to share anytime. Thanks again...have a good one.

Kathleen

I enjoy reading BOTH your posts, you are both so interesting!
My grandmother who raised me is 92 now, almost 93. She smoked for about 5 years, never "exercised" (although she did used to walk a lot, but now is afraid to fall), eats cheese & doughnuts & high fat foods (all meat fried!) like it's going out of style.
You just never know, do you?
Ruth

No, you really never do know, Ruth. Of course, our foods today have so much in them we don't know about and our lifestyles are much different than our grandparents also. It is nice having a strong body but I will take a loving heart any day of the week.

What is lovely to look at and beautiful is not always good...but what is good is always beautiful.

But, I do know how much better I feel when I exercise and keep my weight down...like I can take on the world...and that is a very nice feeling.

I also love to write...it release a lot of tension for me being able to "talk"...it took me almost 50 years to find a voice. I am one of those very very quiet people...although I find that I am getting more outwardly vocal in some instances...standing up for myself, etc...but I still feel much freer writing.

I was also going to post a question about teenage children...I am certain some on these boards probably have a few...so perhaps I will pause here and do just that...

Kathleen

Northwestern football player & supplements

I almost started a new thread since this one had taken a wonderful turn, but I'll just jump back to the original discussion of supplements.

The Northwestern football player (Rashidi Wheeler) who died last week was a supplement user. He used 1 or 2 products that contained ephedra (ma huang). This was especially dangerous for him because of his asthma medication. Ephedra has 2 dangerous side effects for athletes: 1) it increases blood pressure, & 2) it constricts blood vessels which makes it more difficult for the body to disperse heat. The risks of taking ephedra are increased when it is combined with caffeine, as it often is. If you're going to take supplements (& I hope you don't), please read the label. It isn't obvious that some products such as "Ripped Fuel" "Hydroxycut" & "Ultimate Orange" contain ephedra.

Chris Carter (Vikings) has spoken out this week about supplements & their widespread use in the NFL. One has to wonder about Cory Stringer - he apparently lost a lot of weight during the off season.

Supplements are not subject to FDA approval or monitoring (thanks Senator Hatch). They scare the heck out of me.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.