Supersets anyone else....

nkuangel

Cathlete
Hey all,

Just did my brand new Superset DVD and I was a little disappointed. I loved the moves and the new twists she puts on very basic exercises but I guess since this was my first time I had to pause and rewind so many times it just killed the momentum of the workout. I know that I will have to keep doing this to work as efficiently as I can, but I guess all the other Cathe videos I have I fell in love with instanly. This workout I liked and I think i will like it better once I am more prepared for it but for right now I wish I would have gotten gym style series instead of pushpull and supersets.
Also I think a big part of the reason is that I love cardio. I guess that is when I feel that I am working my absolute hardest and the slower pace of supersets wasn't really enough to keep me totally engaged.
Has this happened to anyone else and did you end uf liking loving or even hating the workout?
Oh yeah and it was 8:30 in the morning which is not my usual workout time either and I think I am a little cranky:)

nkuangel

nkuangel,

I have this DVD and I treated with the same disdane as Slow and Heavy, I put it to one side after using it once. I have done Superset before and thought it was OK, but for no reason at all I have not picked up this DVD again.

I have heard that this DVD has great premixes, so I will use again. Right now I am doing Slow and Heavy and loving it. I know if I give Superset another chance I will like it too.

Try the premixes or use it as an add-on after your cardio. It is short so it can work as a split workout.

Yen

Thanks Yen,

I had the same thought about using after my cardio I was planning on it today but I have a really long day ahead of me and after being bummed out and frustrated I just couldn't do cardio. The one thing I will say is that with all the premixes I am sure I will be able to find something that I love so I am not really worried but like you said if I give it another chance I know I will like it better.
nkuangel

Before I do a weight workout, I always write down what weights I'm going to use for each exercise. If I haven't done the workout for a while, or can't find my previous notes on it, I will review the workout (fast-forwarding or chaptering forward to do it quickly) and take notes on what exercises there are, and the weight I plan to use.

A bit of preparation will keep you from having to pause and rewind.

Good advice, Kathryn. Before using Slow and Heavy yesterday for the first time, I watched the tape and wrote down what weights I anticipated using. It made the workout go much more smoothly.

I *love* Supersets. It's not Cathe's most advanced workout, but the time flies and it lets me get a total body weight workout done in under an hour. It did take me a few tries to figure out the best weight to use, but please don't give up on this one! I think it's one of Cathe's most underrated workouts.

Just my $.02.

anne

I love this workout, but I always do the pre-mixes, that is a great part of these series. Push/Pull which is on the same dvd, is my absolute favorite, again, I do the pre-mixes. I love the 3 sets, that is a real burner for your muscles. Weight training and cardio are two different aspects of fitness. We need to incorparate them both for better results. I like doing a 30 minutes cardio workout before the weights, and I do the pre-mixes upper body one day, and lower the other. This DVD is a real gem.

Thanks everyone,

You have made me feel much better. I agree with you Kathryn that I need to make notes for this one and I think that will help tremendously. I definitley am not giving up on this workout but I just didn't have that initail knee jerk I friggin love this workout reaction, which is what I have had with all of her other workouts.
I am really excited about the premixes though and I know this dvd will take some getting use to but I think I will really enjoy it once I am better prepared.

Thanks you guys made me feel much better.
nkuangel

I actually really like both of the workouts on this DVD. I haven't done the pre-mixes, but I like these workouts as is when you have a weight day scheduled and really don't feel like doing it. These are short, sweet and effective. Plus the music is good! Let us know how it goes the second time through.

You'll grow to like this and Push-Pull if you give them a chance.

Try it again - you'll know better what you need. Premixes are great on this DVD, too. This is really Cathe's sleeper series - it has great premixes. If you like splits, try Push-Pull's 2 or 3x upper body - WOW!

Jusy (JAFitMama) put together an upper body blast with PP/SS that is guarateed to leave you shaking like a Chihauau. But seriously - do PP Upper or Lower x 3 and see if you still think this is a basic video. Holy Cow!

I didn't like SS or PP much when I first tried them but have learned to like them. It took some exposure for me...my body thought the moves (some of them) were strange and awkward, but after awhile it was fine. They're still not my faves &, frankly, I would rather do Gym Style for the most part, but they have their place along with all the rest of the workouts for me. I'm sure you'll get used to them & learn to at least like them.
Ruth
:)

I really love this DVD- both workouts! I definitely do the premixes on this one though because alone neither one challenges me enough. I especially love the Supersets premix: 2 sets No Core- it's a real burner for me and I can use moderate to heavy weights to really fry my muscles. I especially like it because it doesn't cause my heart rate to soar like some of her other full body workouts (therefore I can go heavier because I don't get anaerobic so much).

I also really like the premix Upper Body Blast on Supersets- it is super tough!

Push/Pull has a premix Upper Body 3 sets- very heavy weights, moderate reps and LOTS of sets.

I definitely turn to this series if I'm looking to do an upper/lower split that week (so work my whole upper body in one day).

I prefer weights over cardio any day. I don't have slow & heavy workouts (getting them) or push/pull (no, only interested in 3-day splits) but I LOVE the Gym Style 3-day split series so much I'll get any 3-day split Cathe comes up with from here on in. I got nothing from 6 months of circuit but saw immediate results from this group of three workouts. I still cannot believe the definition I continue to see EVERYWHERE! Can't say enough about it. I'll snap up any 3-day split Cathe comes up with.

i did this workout this morning. i usually get in a full body workout once per week on fridays. i haven't done it in a long time. yes, i was disappointed. even though i was lifting heavy it wasn't at the intensity level that i like b/c of the lack of sets. i'm so used to running myself into the ground doing GS and S&H that this workout was not challenging and boring. I did 30 min of hard intervals on the treadmil after. At least my cardio kicked my a** today:eek:

P/P is similar, in that it's a shorter workout, with fewer sets per body part than a typical Cathe workout. I did it a few days ago--and it was a great choice for a day when I felt like doing cardio and weights, then didn't feel like doing weights, and didn't feel like doing another tougher weight workout. But when I did it again yesterday, I doubled up the legs/chest/back section, going through the workout until the end of chest/back, then chaptering back to start again at the beginning of the leg work, and continuing on toward the end of the workout. Maybe you can do something similar with S/S.

I really like Supersets and Push Pull. They go by so quickly that I'm finished before I know it. I also love the music. I am a big fan of the whole Body Blast series!
Ellen

It takes a while to have things ready to go... but don't give up. remember that the DVD has some AWESOME premixes on it... I wasn't impressed with either workout the first time or 2 through, but they grow on you. A while back I finally did some premixes (haven't done 3x upper body Push-Pull yet but I have done 2x and WOW does it work!) and they are great. Give it some time.

I have to say I love this dvd. I have never done it as is though. I do Superset blasts upper and lower as a split, Push Pull 2 or 3 sets as a split. I also do SS lower blast and add the floor work from PP as many times as I want with the workout blender option. I think SS total body 2 times is also a great workout. Took me awhile to try that one:) Like Kathryn says if you log what weights and equipment you need it helps you move through it much more quickly.

http://wd.1ww.us
http://1ww.us/logo2.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.