Suggestions for a Versatile Turbo Tower Alternative?

mmis29

Cathlete
Hi Cathletes!

i've been hoping to purchase a turbo tower for quite some time now. it has been a really long time since SNM mentioned anything about the redesigned tower coming out, and the further i progress into STS, the more I realize i need a tower. i can't do pull ups in a door frame because they don't fit my frames, and i am getting to the point where my chest press barbell weight makes it awkward to get it off the floor and above me.

I searched the forums, and several people have purchased alternatives like the valor bd-9 or bd-3 squat stands. i'm looking for a stand or rack that can be used for modified pull ups like the turbo tower, as well as a rack for heavy chest presses, that i can use with a step and slanted risers. squats would be a nice to have too. i'm not sure if the valor stands, or any other product, fit can do all of those things? any suggestions? does anyone have experiences with these products they'd like to share?

Thanks!

I have the Valor stands and they work wonderfully. I can't do a pullup/chin-up to save my like, so the modified ones are all I can handle. I use the Valor stands with a weighted barbell and the setup works just fine for me.

I have the older version of them, so in order for them to fit around the risers and be far enough down my body for the bar to be positioned correctly for chest presses, I have to take the rubber feet off of the ends and they fit just fine. It's my understanding with the later models they're that much wider at the base that removing the rubber is not necessary.

I have the equivalent of six risers on each end of the step (including two slanted risers), and with the barbell hooks down at the lowest level the barbell is the right height for me.

And, of course, they're great for squats with a barbell, which the Power Tower is not designed to accommodate.

MMIS, thank you for posting this and Nancy, for responding. The Valor stand look like a good investment, will be easy to store/move around, and can nicely accommodate a Troy Lite barbell. The reviews I read were all positive, as well. Nancy, you enabler you, I just ordered it from Amazon (got free shipping and saved $50!).

I have the same issue hoisting the heavy barbell into position from the floor, and I would LOVE to use a squat rack for STS legs. I'm also looking forward to trying pull ups, although I really do enjoy using the tubing option for them, like Cedie! I guess now I'll have no excuses, eh?

Last edited:
NancyAZ, thank you so much for the information! Which model of the valor stands do you have? Swimmer, what did you end up picking up from Amazon?

I'm glad I could be an enabler -- er, helpful! I don't remember off the top of my head the model number of the stands I have, but I'm not sure they make them any longer. Maybe the BD-3. They do not have the option of adding a weight plate to the peg at the bottom for more stability like the later models do, and obviously have the narrower base since I have to remove the rubber feet to make them fit around the risers. I'm only 5'2", so no matter how tall I raise the height on them, they're stable for me.

Oh, and I also have the Troy Lite bar, so know it all works together just fine. Now you're making me think about doing STS again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.