STS Plyo legs and marathon training ?

glogal1

Cathlete
Ladies: I am running a full marathon in November. I am in the 2nd week of Meso #3 and enjoying Plyo Legs. I am going to begin my marathon training soon and I want to incorporate Plylo legs into my rotation.

Any ideas? My marathon training has me running 3 days during the week and one long run on the weekends. 2 crosstraining days and one rest day is on the rotation as well.
Should I do plylo legs on one of the crosstraining days or use it as a sub for one of the running days during the week? OR, should I forget doing plyo legs completely?

AnY help from ya'll is great!
Gloria

My take is (as long as it's early in your program, not in the last 2 months) I would use it to replace a run. I'm thinking that plyo legs could be key to increasing speed and endurance based on another Cathe member's results. Maybe she will chime in, but that's what I have planned...granted I'm not doing a full, just a half in Sept. Marathon amnesia needs to set in first before I go for another one...best experience in sports I have ever had but still a bit painful(knee injuries :-()
good luck!
julie

THANK YOU JULIE

I was thinking of maybe keeping my interval run and using plyo legs for one of my crosstraining days. Yes, you are right, doing this early in my training sounds doable. After that, the long runs will certainly tire me out.

I sure hope the member you are talking about reads this and chimes in. Thanks again for your advice and GOOD LUCK with your half marathon in September! :)

Gloria

Hi Gloria,

I just ordered STS and I also just started marathon training again as well (my event is in October). Sounds like we have similar schedules (I run 3x a week: 1 day of track/drills, 1 day of 4-6 miles; 1 day of long run), and I'm planning to use STS as is on my off days. According to my schedule, I'm technically supposed to have a rest day on Friday, the day before my long run, but I figure if I use an upper body workout from STS on that day, I should be ok. I mainly want to make sure I don't fatigue my legs, so I'll do the legs workout first thing in the week (my run days are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, so legs would be on Monday).

I'm also going to add two cardio workouts on my cross-training days. In the past, my cross-training was purely weight training, but my coach wants me to add cardio to increase my endurance (I always seem to hit the wall around mile 16 or so). Mondays and Wednesdays are going to be 2 workouts a day for me--STS in the morning, then swimming on Monday nights and spinning on Wednesday nights.

Hopefully I can make it work! I get STS on Monday, so I can try it out then and see :).

Jennifer

THANKS!

Jennifer:
Thanks for your input on my question. Love how you have planned out your schedule with STS and the marathon training. It's pretty neat that you have a coach..wish I had one! ha! anyway, if I may ask...how exactly are you doing your day of track/drills??? That intriqued me!

Good luck and I hope to hear from you soon!
Gloria

Just to chime in here - Julie and Jennifer are 100% on target - plyo legs has definitely helped me increase speed, but I would do it early on in training and then taper off by end of Sept if your marathon is in Nov. From a weekly perspective, doing it early in the week prior to running sessions is also ideal - even with a 2 to 3 day spread between doing it and running long runs or even short races (10ks), you wouldn't believe how it could hamper your performance due to fatigue.

Going to guess that Jennifer is doing speedwork at the track ......

Good luck to you :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.