STS Journey check-in as from November 2012

Low Gi Diet

Hello All,
Hope Everyone is doing well and accomplishing their fitness goals!!!

Nathalie - thanks for answering my question. Please keep me updated as to how your ab work out is going and if your seeing the results you want. I will have to check out the Horizontal conditioning.

I'm similar in that I want to focus on my abs more too. I just started a glycemic load diet (no starch or soda, sugar's to a minimum). It will be interesting what comes of it. It's supposed to be a good diet for apple shape body type. Hoping I see the results I want and I stick with it, especially through the holiday's.

I just started week 3 of STS Meso 3. Can't believe I'm almost done. I haven't noticed a lot of weight loss on the scale but parts of me are more firm than ever:) I also am a size down in jeans :)

Looking forward to round 2, cleaning up my eating and adding more cardio. Maybe this round I'll be able to do a pull-up;) I'm definitely on the right track with STS and am thankful I have the program.

-Tiffany

Tiffany,

Low Gi Diet is very good. I have been on it for years...It is not a diet as such . It is one of the most realistic nutrition plan for anyone , more beneficial for anyone prone to insulin resistance. I opted for it as Insulin resistance runs in my family. I have not had type 2 diabetes so far:cool::cool::cool: I will visit my doctor just to check though.

Do you manage to easily find wholemeal pasta, rice,couscous etc..in groceries stores?.I remember years ago, in Uk it was difficult to find wholemeal pasta Now it is everywhere.

Well done on some weight loss...dig deep you will get what you want. I have been in such happy term with my scale these days... I have to keep on going, at least for a while. Go for Low Gi, you will not regret it;)

Will report soon,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your gi info. I will have to look for some of the wholemeal pasta. I can't believe the scale has budged 2 lbs. in less than a week! Just avoiding the starches and limiting sugar... One thing I noticed is that I FINALLY feel full after a meal:)

I think you mentioned the core bootcamp style pushups... ugghhh!
Honestly I mentally decided with my first round to just attempt everything and work up from their trying to go to completion.

Some of Cathe's moves: the bootcamp push-ups, pull-ups and chin-ups. I would attempt my best and then do a similar alternative trying to focus on the muscle she was working on. I still can't do a pull-up / chin-up but I think I'm getting close.:eek:

Hope everyone has a good week and manages to squeeze in their STS workouts. I'm gonna have to add in the abs for round 2 and try the undulating pyramid MJ mentioned for round 3!

Greetings All,

Well I am in my active recovery week before I head into Meso 3. I finished up my last disc on Saturday. I had to switch things around last week to get it all done, but I was determined to finish on schedule, which I did. Yesterday I did Kick Max and I pretty much made it through the first and second parts with relatively little trouble, it was hard, but I think I performed better than I did the last time I did this workout. The first part is easy, but those 10 drills can be a killer. I skipped the leg stuff because I did my STS leg disc on Sunday and I did not want DOMS this week, but I'm actually fine. I was also running out of time.

Today I did Cross Fire, which I have not done since my last active recovery week. Tomorrow I do Horizontal Conditioning. I bought this about a month ago but I've only done the disc I have once (I think I bought the first one), as I bought it to do on my last STS break. I liked it. The only thing that I did not really like was that I don't have a weighted bar, so I was trying to figure out how to modify those moves the whole time. I tried to use my barbell bar, but that was not really working. She does a lot of straddle pushups using that as a lever over the step bench, and that was really hurting my hands. I did *not* like that. I think I'll do that tomorrow, but I'm just going to do them on the floor. I have pretty bad form on those, which means I should probably keep working on them, so maybe I'll do them straddling my step with gloves. I don't have a lot to say about the workout since I've only done it once, other than I did find it to be unique, and I could imagine if one did it frequently, that it would really improve your functional strength. It works the muscles very differently than I am used to working out with Cathe, which is a good thing. It was challenging, but not impossible.

I'm curious to hear what you all have planned for your active recovery weeks. Do you plan to take it easy, or do you plan to work out at a high intensity? When I had my last recovery week, I binged on cardio. I will probably do the same this week. I plan to do IMAX this week and Intensity, that HC DVD once or twice, and maybe I'll do Turbo Barre one day. That will give me some good cardio and variety from the workouts I've been doing for Meso 2. Then I'm stoked to go on to Meso 3. I need to buy a set of 30 lbs. dumbbells for the next round, as I'm ready for more weight on my squats and I could do more on my rows and step ups.

Nathalie, you asked what a push-up jack was...those are the push ups that you do with your feet on the gliding disks, so when you go down on your push up, you slide your feet out so that you're kind of splayed out like an X. They are in Cross Fire and I think there are some in Afterburn. There are also some in Slide and Glide. Oh, BTW, I did S&G one day last week and it really worked my legs and glutes nicely. I did not have DOMS per se, but I could certainly feel my rear end more the next day. I've got to add that one to the rotation more frequently!

I did do the push ups in Meso 1 with no modifications, including the boot camp ones. I've had a mission for the last year to really kick some push up butt, so it's been a project of mine for a while to really get much stronger and to do more of them. STS helped a lot, but the push up jacks were my nemesis. Now that I can do those, I'm happy. I still stink at the straddle push ups, but I can do a "regular" one on my toes and I can pretty much do 3 or 4 sets of 10-12 at a time. I can do 16-20 in a row sometimes, but my form gets pretty crappy towards the end. I just need to keep working on them. I love that Cathe incorporates a lot of different kinds of pushups in her workouts. They're all hard, but in slightly different ways. Pushups are definitely super duper hard for me.They are such a pain in the tuckus. Since I don't have a pull up bar or anywhere to do the bands where I workout, I subbed push ups and push up jacks for those sets.

Take care!
Eva

STS check in week 3

Happy Weekend and Holiday week Everyone,

Today w/o was Disc 9 legs...The bonus burn was great. Loved it.

So far, this week3 there has been a lot of push up and I will not complain about them being in the program. I am 100% sure they have been put in for a purpose. Nothing has defined my upper body muscles in a short period of time as push up. It is a compound and I like the challenge I get for my core muscles. It pump my upper muscle and most importantly it does pump the most precious muscle of my body HEART:):):) Honestly the more I do better I get, Less modification I gradually do. so far there are two type I can not do:

[*]Push up elmo style on week 3.Exercise #350 - Pushups on Stability Ball Elmo Style - YouTube
:mad::mad::mad:
[*]Straddle push I do modify to intermediate level.

Good news for those who dread push ups there is not any on Meso 2 and 3. What I liked this week was the use of weighted gloves for the microloading technique. This perfectly work for shoulder exercises. I love it. Are you ladies using weighted gloves? Drop set are so fun fun fun. I love feeling the pump during each rep.

I loved this:Exercise #236 - Seated Barbell Isolation Curls - YouTube

To Eva, to reply to your question regarding recovery week. I have a "try-out" list of workout to do. I will ,mainly, be doing pure moderately intense cardio. On my to try out list: CTX, drill max, high step circuit, high step training etc...

Muscle need to grow and need to recover. I will not do circuit...I will stay away from any weight. Eva if you want my opinion, let your muscles rest. You will get back to good serious pump doing Meso3. You will not loose any definition.

Thanks for the mini review on Horizontal conditioning. what volume have you purchased. Is it the beginners one? I reckon this is going to be my next project. I like your "project approach"... I am thinking the same!;););) Me and you are on the same approach/page. I am wondering what is the perfect substitute to body bar? I would use a barbell as well. I am not keen on adding a body bar as equipment. I do not think I would be using it often.

Next week is transition to meso 2 which means 70% one rep max.
Hope to hear from you soon,

Warm regards everyone;),

Nathalie

Hi All!

After some unplanned time away from STS I am back in the saddle. Just completed Meso 2 Disc 17 legs.

Not much else to add as I am struggling to just stay on track.

I am doing the longer version so there is a lot of time between my rest weeks.

For those I do whatever cardio looks appealing but I also avoid any weight work at all.

Hope everyone celebrating the holiday has a fine time with friends and family.

Greetings,
Well, I am back on STS, having just wrapped up my active recovery week. I ended up doing Turbo Barre, Horizontal Conditioning Vol. 1, Rhythmic Step, CrossFire, and Amy Dixon's Breathless Body 2. I did not do any real weight work, but light weights with HC2. Nathalie, I used a 10 lb. dumbbell for that as I am concerned about my barbell scratching my bamboo floors. It may not be ideal, but I think it works fine. I just use one hand when she uses two, and the way the exercises work, I think it's fine to use the dumbbells.

I've decided that, instead of buying more dumbbells I am going to do Meso 3 at the gym, at least the chest and back workout. I have sufficient weights here to do the leg and biceps/shoulders/triceps, but I would have to buy at least two more sets of dumbbells to do chest and back and it's just not worth the expense to me right now. I can probably handle more weight safely if I go to the gym, since I don't have a bench here and I need to be able to rack my weights. I hate going to the gym, but I'll survive.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next four weeks, and I hope I see some progress at the end of this, like more definition. I have seen some changes over the last 8 weeks, so I'm curious. I'm going to try to work as hard as I can and see what happens. That may mean lighter cardio workouts for me if I'm super sore, but we'll see what happens.

Because I am super impatient, I'm already contemplating my next rotation. Four weeks will go by fast. I think I'm going to do the rock bottoms rotation after this, and then I'm sure Xtrain will be out by then and I'll start working on that.

Nathalie, I hear you on the Elmo push ups. I don't think I really mastered those either. I had forgotten those when I mentioned I was doing the pushups without mods. I lied. I did not like those. I was afraid I was going to hurt myself by falling off the ball, and it was not worth it to me. I substituted seesaw pushups for those, since that also works the triceps.

Ok, I'm off to preview M1W1 so that I have a clue at the gym tomorrow. Happy Holidays to those of you in the US!

Eva

Hey STSers,
I started week 2 this week and it's going well so far. Theoretically I'm going to go to the gym this week to do my chest and back but we'll see how that goes. I really, really hate going to the gym, but I should if I want to get the most bang for my buck out of this workout.

What I have found is that I am really able to increase my weights significantly during this portion of the program. For the first and second mesocycle, it seemed like the weights on my charts were pretty accurate, maybe a little off here and there, but they were mostly on target. Now, for this meso, I am finding I can add significant weight to some of the exercises. I'm doing 21#s for biceps with dumbbells and 35# with barbell, which for me is a lot. I did 30# for overhead presses and I will probably try 35# next week to see how it goes, because I think I can do more. The low rep approach is allowing me to really push my weights up. I'm feeling very strong and definitely getting some muscles. I'm thinking about repeating meso 3 to see if I can really get some definition, but we'll see what happens.

I hope the rest of you are plugging along. How are your STS journeys coming?

Take care,
Eva

Embarking Meso2 hypertrophy

Hello fellow check-in buddies,

Hope you are all fine and are still sticking to your plan.

This week was my rest week having completed Mesocycle 1. I did not have an active recovery week. There was just too personals happening. I had to say goodbye to my sister who is emigrating to Botswana with DH (to use forum jargon :p) and 4 daughters. It has been emotional. I helped out with packing, shuffling stuff around in my flat...On top of that I started a new job.
Anyway, I am glad i managed to do a workout today...kickbox from 4DS, tomorrow it is going to be kickbox from CTX and Monday I will back on 2upper 2lower per week plus cardio carrying on with my STS journey.

To Eva, How are you getting on working out STS in the Gym? I agree with you on Low reps/Heavy load. I have gained definition doing meso1. I can not believe the feeling touching my arms. They're definetely strong. They look and feel strong. I have not even started meso2 as yet :p:confused:

To story1267, Are you back on the saddle? ;)

Tiffany, Hope you are enjoying your Low Gi nutritional lifestyle :)

Gammon, Hope you find your way through pull and chin-up modifying them to the best of your abilities. All you need to do is go from there building up the strength.

From next week I am starting my very early bird working out shedule starting at 4:30 am.

I will be posting my check the week end,

Have a good week everyone,

Nathalie

Last edited:
Meso2 first week completed

Hi Everyone,

Hope you are well...

This week was my first Meso2 week... Today was leg day Disc 14 applying Triset technique, it was intense and I am feeling it now. I am loving and enjoying STS. Narrow squat with 12kg dumbbells feels great along my legs. Wide squat target glutes better but I have a "soft spot :p" for narrow as it works my outer thigh better.

Drop set on chest routine were challenging and I loved it...My chest was on fire :D:D:D. Am I crazy admitting i love the burning feeling on my chest lol...
Come on I am sure I am not the only one.:eek::rolleyes:

Hope to hear how you are getting on with your STS journey soon,

Have a good week,

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

Hi Nathalie and all!

Yes, I am indeed back in the saddle. I feel so much better when I'm working out. I've decided to accelerate my way through the rest of STS and do all the discs once rather than twice. So I just finished Meso 2 Disc 20 - legs.

I received a set of squat stands as a gift and I LOVE THEM!! :D What a terrific and versatile bit of equipment.

And I am 100% with you in loving the feeling. If DOMS were visible I'd look like a muscle animation since I'm still feeling chest, tri's and shoulders from the other day...add my talktative hamstrings and woohoo!

Hello story1267

Hi Nathalie and all!

Yes, I am indeed back in the saddle. I feel so much better when I'm working out. I've decided to accelerate my way through the rest of STS and do all the discs once rather than twice. So I just finished Meso 2 Disc 20 - legs.

I received a set of squat stands as a gift and I LOVE THEM!! :D What a terrific and versatile bit of equipment.

And I am 100% with you in loving the feeling. If DOMS were visible I'd look like a muscle animation since I'm still feeling chest, tri's and shoulders from the other day...add my talktative hamstrings and woohoo!

Hi Story1267,

So glad to hear you are back in the saddle. You are so lucky having a squat stands as a gift...I am actually lurking around and eventually will end up purchasing one.

I am doing STS disc twice as well , within 31/2 months though. Six months is too long for me. I need variety and would seriously miss my other favourites:p

Enjoy your squat rack---Please let us know how you're getting on with your new toy. Talking about muscle animation lol my left shoulder is internally animating!!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: I am loving my new definition. My shoulders are getting somewhere now...It is all fun fun fun

Off to get organised and go to bed early...Trying to have some sleep has I have not had enough lately...To much going on and too much excitement on top of STS!

Will definetely check in Week end.

Good week everyone;)

Nathalie

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.