STS DEAL OF THE DAY!!!!!

Hey ladies I was wanting to know what kind of changes u r seeing? Is it possible to lose weight on this program?

Hi Renee,

I'm not an expert here, but I would say YES, it is totally possible for you to lose weight on STS and see a noticeable difference in your body composition and lean muscle mass, while reducing body fat. I think a very common misconception/fear for most people is gaining weight/becoming bulky while on a weight training program. As long as you stay within your caloric budget and include some cardio (walking, swimming, biking, workout dvd's) you will most definitely see results as long as you are dedicated and consistent.

Personally, I have seen drastic changes, not just from STS, but weight training in general. To give you and idea, in my early 20's I weighed a lot less than I do now, but I rarely lifted weights. I'm in my 30's and weigh more, but look leaner and fit into smaller sizes. My pear-shape is being transformed from a "big pear" into a "smaller pear", which I was never able to do previously. My thighs are slimming down, my glutes are firmer, and my upper body is gaining some nice tone and muscle definition with STS. All this after having a child (which I gained 65lbs from!). People told me I would never look the same after I gave birth and to just accept my bigger, flabby, mommy body :rolleyes:. The were right about one thing...I don't look the same...I look BETTER :D.

I think the ladies in this thread will also give you very positive feedback. They are WONDERFUL!

Hope you find some encouragement from my story Renee. I wish you much success, health & happiness :).

Natasha

Last edited:
Hey ladies I was wanting to know what kind of changes u r seeing? Is it possible to lose weight on this program?

Renee,
Like Natasha, I'm sure that folks can lose weight with program if they are careful with their eating habits and stay true to the STS program. I haven't lost or gained any weight, but my main focus was to get leaner and more defined, and stronger. I have NEVER been challenged like this before. I am not naturally athletic, but I feel like an Olympian with this program (must be the endorphins :D)! I think I must be burning off fat and gaining lean mass at the same time. I wish I would have measured myself before I started! My clothes feel a bit looser around the waist and hips, and (miracle of miracles) I am gaining muscle in my puny arms! So I guess you sort of erase your body in some areas and fill it in in others! I think that everyone should try this program at least once to really see what they're made of! It is as easy/hard as you want it to be! I hope you hop on board and join us!;)

Oh my Gina, you REALLY ARE training like a warrior!!!! STS M2 W3 back to back in 3 days? I am humbled. I am awed. I am definitely not going to follow suit :p! How are you liking the tri-sets for legs? I am drenched at the end! I printed out my cards for next week M2 W4 and see that it goes to 80% 1RM. AND it's the return of pushups! I didn't see any double wave loads, but there are drop sets. (What did you think of the double wave loads?)

Dawn & Pam, are you still hanging in? How is your appetite?

Natasha, are you still missing your other Cathe DVDs? I use my recovery week for some of my other steady state Cathe cardio DVDs and do the ab sections from High Reps, STS Total Body, and Step Jump Pump. I do some from Ab Circuits as well. It looks like the new workouts may be in our hands before the end of STS (if you decided to pyramid ;))! Can you imagine the combination? WOW! I am rearranging my rotation for M3 to include both versions of the legs DVDs (using Plyo Legs as a "HiiT" workout). Which cardio workouts do you do with STS?

Tonight is my rest night! It will be Yoga Abs and Yoga Relax. I need it. Next week will be my last with M2 :(. I can't wait to see it again after M3!:D

Hello everyone :)

Just a quickie...

Just finished D18 (back & bi's). Holy cow!!! That 5% increase caught me off guard :eek:. I've come to the conclusion that my bi's are the little "runts" of my muscle groups; shy, weak, and begging for mercy :confused:. I guess they'll need a little extra dose of TLC ;) (aka-more Cathe butt whipping).

I wanted to share this link with all of you:
Fudgy Peanut Butter Chip VitaTops (12 Muffin Tops)
Great for that after dinner sweet tooth :p. Coming in at only 100 cals, and 6g of fibre, I like to treat myself to one of these bad boys on occasion ;).

Nancy
I am missing my other Cathe strength workouts :(.
LOVE STS Plyo legs as a hiit workout! I've done it twice (minus weighted leg work) and LOVE IT!
I've been doing all sorts of cardio with STS. I like variety :D. Step, kickboxing, LIS, hiit, Tabata, walking, you name it! This week I'm only doing two hiit workouts, probably 40/20 and plyo legs. No steady state. And of course walking and playing at the park :D.
Gina
You are absolutely right about the mental challenge with STS.
Congrats on your pants fitting looser/better! That is a true sign of your body changing and getting leaner. Sometimes the scale does not tell the whole truth.
Upper arm/shoulder definition looks very hot on women (if I do say so myself :eek:). I used to notice women who had amazing arms in tank tops and wondered what they did to get that. Now I know :D.

Gotta run! Have a wonderful night ladies :)

Thanks for the feedback! Is STD similar to 4DS weight lifting section? . I'm thinking once I get the money I may try this. I love reading all your post about the program and it gets me excited for all of you and I'm not doing it LOL. Its like Christmas excitment . Yeah I kinda don't have a lot of excitement besides going to work. So I guess I'm easily entertained! And I do find Cathe' s work outs so fun!

Hi Everybody!

I finally have some time to sit down and catch up with you ladies. I hope I address everybody!

Nancy, thanks for sharing the information about Afterburn. I'm with you - a couple of days of eating a lot goes right to the waist for me! How does it get there so fast??? LOL. Congratulations on the muscle failure - funny how your arm didn't feel like it was yours - now that's failure! Regarding my appetite - it's actually pretty much the same. I really enjoy my protein shake afterward - it's almost as if my body physically craves the protein.

Speaking of abs, I do find the strength work is really helping my abs. I've been lax the past couple of weeks on formal ab workouts but I'm seeing definition from STS! That's an unexpected bonus!

Gina, you guys have me thinking about using the barbell for squats and lunges as well. Now that you mention it - the dumbbells do feel awkward sometimes during those exercises. Today is my last day of legs for M1 so I'll consider the barbell starting in M2. I also found some of the weights to be way too heavy on the workout card. And I do enter my weights in the Workout Manager each time! Sometimes the weights are twice as much as they should be. Appears to be some sort of bug in the program.

Speaking of M2 - I can't wait! I love hearing about it from you guys. I only have two more discs for M1. Do I REALLY have to take a recovery week? I know, I know - yes I do. Can I do really light weights? How about push ups - can I still work on those?

Natasha, that is so funny about you catching a glimpse of yourself at the grocery store! It's funny how in other mirrors you sometimes notice more than you do in your own mirrors at home. Did you put your produce down and start flexing?? Ha Ha. I agree - I think upper arm/shoulder definition looks great on women! My arms were always super skinny growing up so I think I may have that "issue" left over in my head - and really want toned/muscular arms. HA HA! And I love those VitaTops - though I haven't bought them in a while - thanks for the reminder. Also the Fiber One brownies are really good too!

Jean, thanks for the 6-day example, Wow - that is impressive! So, do you do the whole mesocyle 6 days a week or just when you feel like it? I'm so tempted to try that at some point. But of course I'm only finishing up M1 - I'll get back to you when I'm on M2!

Renee, STS can absolutely help you lose weight. It is a program that makes you strong! And being strong has so many positive side effects. You'll feel good about yourself and naturally want to work harder with other fat-blasting exercises. Your cardio work in between the STS workouts will be much easier and more enjoyable. You'll stand taller because you posture will be better. Cathe also published an article about strength training and burning fat. In case you haven't seen it: Cathe Friedrich - Does Resistance Training Burn Significant Amounts of Fat?

And Renee, the other day an Aunt of mine (who I hadn't seen in a while) asked me "so, what do you do for fun?" My first answer without really thinking was "strength training!" So, yes I guess STS is excitement! I'm glad you joined us. It's been a while since STS was the Deal of the Day - so it is bound to come around again! We'll keep an eye out for you. You'll save a lot when it's on sale. And remember to use the appreciation code to get even more off (I believe I used SAVE15). I'll double check for you. Too funny about "STD" - I didn't even notice that!

So, I've been running on the treadmill this week for cardio. I just kinda feel like it. Isn't funny how every day is different - some days I feel like following a DVD - others I just wanna do my own thing. I'm hoping to do my first 5K in August so I am doing the C25K program as well.

Have a great Wednesday everybody!

Renee
LOL! I've written that before :eek:. Sometimes I wonder where my mind is when I type :eek:.
STS is somewhat similar to 4DS...probably more like Meso 3 (low reps/high weight).
By all means, don't feel pressured to get this program. When you are ready (and when your pocket book will allow it) I'm sure STS will go on sale for a great price again in the future. I heard around fall/winter there are usually great deals. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Everyone here is so helpful :)))

Dawn
About your recovery week, Cathe says NO WEIGHTS! Trust me, you'll thank her once M2 starts. Your body will feel so refreshed and energized. I would even say, no light weights. But of course, you are free to do whatever your heart desires. No pressure ;).
I feel the same way about strength training. I consider it a fun hobby. Some people scrap-book, I lift weights. Very simple actually ;).
I'm the same when it comes to cardio. You are very lucky to have a treadmill, that's awesome! Sometimes I just want to run my little tushy off, blasting music, without having to engage my mind. Perhaps one day...:(.

Everyone is doing amazing! Keep up the great "work, work" ;)

Hello Cyber Workout Buddies!
Last night....Disc 22 Chest/Shoulders/Triceps...80% of 1RM.....no words!!!! Oh my!

Tonight: CCC....

I've been tackling some of my goals, too:
Getting a 30 minute walk in after dinner (before yogurt/nut/fruit time) has really helped stave off the after dinner appetite!

Hope everyone is having a good Thursday!

Natasha - "Some people scrap-book. I lift weights. Very simple actually." = love it!!!

Nancy - you are a machine!! Can you do the entire CCC? That's great!

Hello ladies :)

I'm on the couch writing this and my butt hurts from yesterdays w/o (D17-legs). Nothing like the last DOMS though (thank goodness!!). I've come to the conclusion that I undoubtedly need a weighted vest. My 75% 1RM is a lot higher for squats and static lunges but I can't get there :(. For one thing, I find it very awkward to hold 25lbs dumbbell's. I'm a wuss ok, it hurts my forearms. If I go higher in #'s, I feel myself slouching and my form being off. Secondly, if I try to use my barbell (which is my preferred method) I can only hoist 40lbs of barbell safely over my head. So, I'm basically stuck at 50 lbs max. I did not feel my legs challenged enough for 10 reps unfortunately. I wanna go HARD on my lower body :eek:. It's a common myth that pear-shapers need to do light weight/high reps. The heavier I go, the leaner my thighs/butt become.

Today's w/o will be Athletic Step :D. One of my top 3 fav step workouts that's for sure!

Nancy
I've been doing CCC for a year now and it NEVER gets easier!!! I'd rather do Imax3 a millions times over CCC. Why is it SO darn hard?? :eek:
Great job on walking after dinner. Love walking :).
Dawn
I made those pancakes not long ago. They ARE very tasty! I wonder how they would be w/some whipped cream and strawberries? :p:p. ;).

Have a rockin' day everyone!

WAHOOO!!!! It's FRIDAY!!!!!!!!:D
Natasha, I would say a weighted vest will be your saviour! I have to admit that I'm going to be happy to start using the barbell in M3! Today I'm doing Disc23 Legs using 28# for squats! So I will use my new 25# dumbells and adjust my ankle weights to 3# and wrap them around my wrists. I've been looking into those weighted Plate Mates that stick to your weights and add a few pounds. I wish they came in 1/2 pound increments! I do a lot of creative weight wrapping on my arms and on my barbell to try to micro-load!
Dawn, I WISH I could do all of CCC!!!! Oh man, it is SO TOUGH!!! I am so slow on the last exercise that I've been modifying and doing a core exercise from the LIS series with the plates (burpee, knees in, pike in, stand up, and repeat!). I find those roll back jump up thingys to be impossible (they are so fast!) and last night I ended up doing the jumping jack/plyo jack modification. That's something I need to work on! My cat just rolls his eyes at me ;)! I really do love the fact that with Cathe's workouts I always have something to work toward whether it's a tough core move or push-ups or chin-ups. And then when you master it you know you've really accomplished something!

So far, the walking after dinner and avoiding the nighttime nibblies has taken 2.2 pounds off (in 4 days)! I really am not trying to lose weight per se; I just want to lean out so I can see the muscle! That "waist to knees" zone is my nemesis!!! I just remember that Rome wasn't built in a day; it was brick by brick...same goes with transforming oneself into a Brickhouse!!! (Did I just make a 70s reference...gosh I DID!:eek:)

Hello fit STS ladies :)

Ok, I've found my fav STS disc so far...D16 (chest, shoulder's, tri's) :eek:. The layout is fantastic in M2. I felt all my muscles worked until complete failure. Back-off sets!! HELLO!! Can you say B-U-R-N?? What I thoroughly enjoyed about this disc is that it features my favorite exercises for each muscle group worked. Barbell chest presses? Check. Chest flies? Check. Lateral raises? Check. Barbell overhead press? Check. One arm triceps kickbacks? Check. :D :D :eek:

BTW, did you guys see the description of Tabata from SNM in the Newest/Upcoming forum? I think the newest are probably gonna be the hardest Cathe has ever put out. I'm telling you, TABATA IS NUTS! Tom Holland's Tabata Inferno makes me want to die, it's that hard. The exercises themselves are not tough, very simple moves like squat jumps/high knees/push-ups, ect., it's the 20 sec work-your-butt-off, with only 10 sec rest that kills you :eek:. Think 40/20, but condensed. Ya, that hard :eek:. I love how Cathe always pushes the envelope. I know a lot of her fans are asking for Low Impact, but there are still many of us that enjoy high impact. It's wonderful how she accommodated both sectors. Say what you want about that woman, she is THE BEST in the industry. And look at her!!! 47? 48? Hot as ever! I believe her inner beauty matches her outer beauty as well.

Nancy
Congrats on the lbs lost! I know how important it is for you to reach your goal :).
I truly believe Cathe is super-humanly-crazy-fast in CCC. Not normal. I would love to meet someone that does it with NO modifications. I bet they are climbing Mt.Everest as I type this ;).

Sorry for the long post :eek:. I wrote the Tabata section on my other check-in and cut/paste it here :D.

Have a wonderful weekend ladies :cool:

WOOPEE!!!! I lived through M2!!!! Disc 24 (Back and Bi's) has left me with DOMS after 2 days! Today is my rest day (Yoga Relax/Yoga Abs) and I start my rest week...I really need it!
I printed out the workout cards for M3 W1. I'm going to have to double check those 1RM for the squats and lunges!:eek:
How is everyone else doing?
Pam? Dawn? Natasha? Gina? Where are you?:p

Hello everyone :)

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend. It's very hot and humid here :cool:. But of course no complaints. I only have 4 months of really nice weather and then it's back to cold & snow :mad:. I'm seriously considering moving to Hawaii or something :). I live in Canada, but in no way can I say I love the famous Canadian Winter's :confused:.

This week starts off M2, W3. Today's w/o is legs (D20? I have no clue). OMG, M2 why are you going sooo fast?? Time flies when you are havin' fun ;).

Yesterday I did a goodie, Tabata Inferno (Supreme 90-Day). Talk about humbling workouts :eek:. That's the only workout that has me feeling nauseous at the end. Very intense :eek:.

Nancy
Jealous of your rest week. Enjoy it girl, you work hard :).

Have a good one ladies!

Hi Everyone!!

Crazy week. It was my birthday last Wed. which I spent preparing for a garage sale with my Mom and sister. I stayed at my parents with my sister for the three days we had the garage sale. Then I have had a lot to catch up on back at home. I've missed checking in and talking to everyone.

Yes, Nancy, in order to get my STS in I had to do my 3 discs 3 days in a row!! Oh my. It was challenging, but I did it!! Conrats on completing Meso 2!! I have 2 more discs to go myself. Wow! 80% was tough what are we going to encounter at 90% in Meso 3?!

Natasha I am loving Meso 2 just as much! I already have chest DOMS from my workout earlier today. It's a wonderful feeling.

It's in the 90s here for the next couple of days and my portable room AC needs freon! I have AC in the house, but I workout upstairs and it retains heat like an attic hence the room AC. I will be sweatin and huffin and puffin to finish this week, but I am not stopping now!!

I did the original Imax on Sunday. I was only going to do the first half, but I felt strong and did the whole thing on 6"!!!(Cathe does it on 8") My cardio endurance is improving and my increased leg strength makes a huge difference. I'm thinking Hiit will be in my near future. Yay!!

I wanted to drop by real quick and say hi and check in. I'm still here and workin hard. Altho my diet was slacking this week eating more than usual. I indulged in cake, ice cream, and alcohol so I will be lucky to have just maintained (I measure and weigh tmrw). I am now back on track. This is a way of life for me, NOT a diet! Before, the indulgences would have made me upset with myself and led to binges for who knows how long and maybe not even exercising. But now I know it's ok every now and then, and I just return to healthier eating.

Hope everyone is doing good and I will be checking in more often again.

Gina

Hi!

Gina, it has been a crazy week here as well! Happy belated birthday! I feel the same way about the bad eating/slacking on exercising stretches now and again - it's all about getting back on track and looking forward. :)

Nancy congratulations on finishing M2! Funny how you glanced ahead at the workout card and thinking you'll have to do your 1RM again. Does Cathe really use 45# for the row? - wow! And BTW, I have "Brick House" in my head now - can't get it out! :p

Natasha, how great that you found your perfect STS disc! That would be great for you to go back to when you are done with STS - write that number down. :) And I agree on all the things you say about Cathe - especially how she is "super-humanly-crazy-fast!" How DOES she do it? Did you get your weighted vest yet?

You mentioned "creative wrapping" with your weights. I thought of you the other day when I added my wrist weights (the ones shaped like wrist bands) onto my BARBELL! I only needed a couple of more pounds so I put them right between a plate and the clip. It worked great!

Yay, I finished M1 last Sunday! It was supposed to be last Friday but I didn't want it to end so I put it off until Sunday! It feels really strange this week not to be strength training but it's been such a busy week with the end of school and all that it's actually very good timing. I'm SO excited to start M2! I may start it this coming Sunday instead of Monday because I JUST can't wait!

Glad to be back chatting with you ladies. Have an awesome day!

Thanks Dawn for the birthday wish :) and Congrats on completing Meso 1!! Awesome feeling huh?! You are going to LOVE Meso 2 as we all have!

I am going to have to do CCC. All three of you have talked about doing it. I can't remember doing it? Or maybe I started it and wasn't quite ready for it. I am going to have to put it in my rotation when Meso 3 starts up. I am focusing on steady, easier state workouts for my recovery week. But since I did Imax and the cardio blast premix from Drill Max this week I think I can give it a shot!

Speaking of Drill Max, that was definitely a Hiit workout for me, but it really has given me calve DOMS! They were sore all night in bed and I was afraid to flex fearing a charley horse. And I am supposed to do my last meso 2 Legs workout today!! Pray for me, that my calves will let me do my job!!

Nancy, I know you aren't going to "rest" this week so what workouts do you have lined up for cardio? I am going to put my rotation together for the next two weeks including my recovery week and the first week of Meso 3....I'm kinda scared to print out the card and look at those numbers!! Do you do any Hiit or take a rest from that too?

Ok, I have to go get in my leg workout before it gets too hot and humid. I did drop off my room air conditioner to get freon yesterday so I'll have it for my workouts in a few days. I don't usually like lifting so early, but it's going into the 90s again today! What time of day do you guys work out? Any preference for cardio vs weights? I seem to lift heavier/better in the afternoon and evenings, but I like my cardio in the am to jumpstart me and my day!!

Have a great day everyone and ttys!!

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.