STS Check in Disc 8

I felt very strong today. Don’t you love when you have those days.

I, too, love those days!!

Gotta tell you something, Cathe! Yesteday I went to D!ck's Sporting Goods to buy some 25# plates for my barbell. In any event, I was in line, holding one 25# plate in each hand, and there were two customers ahead of me. When it was my turn, I set the plates on the counter and the cashier started laughing. He said, "Dang, girl - were you holding those the whole time?! You were standing there all calm, I thought you had a pair of socks in your hand! But you were holding fifty pounds like it was nothin' but a thang." It was pretty funny. All thanks to you and STS!

I did a set of chin ups vertical, then pull ups horizontal, and one set with the tubing today.
I can't believe you did a set of horizontal chin ups AND a set of horizontal pull ups. And I bet you did them like it was "nothin' but a thang." :)

Disc 8 done....check
Back Pumped...check
Tri's Pumped....check
Abs- Weights & Plates, done.....check (whew!)
BodyMax2 Timesaver cardio only, done....chhhheeeccckkk!
I DID IT! I can do anything.

Wait a minute... you did the BM2 cardio AFTER doing STS Back & Tris AND Ab Circuits Weights and Plates??? I bow humbly in your presence!!! I can barely handle a walk to the couch after STS Back & Tris! Well done!

Hi Traci! The way you felt for this workout was the way I felt Monday. But you did it so high five to you.

For scapular retractions you can do both ways.
Hinged forward slightly from the hips, which is now adding gravitational pull to the movement, you will either shrug your shoulders toward the ceiling and get more upper trapezius involvement or retract your shouders slightly toward the back and get more rear delt and rhomboid recruitment. Both work well :)

Happy Wednesday Cathe & Heather!

Disc 8 under my belt yesterday..It was my first day of really feeling "Off" since starting STS 5 weeks ago. I was wiped out after the 4 warmups! PATHETIC!:rolleyes: I perservered and just did my best and did complete the workout...I am VERY happy I'll have a second chance next week to conquer Beast 8!

LOVED the sequencing of this as well. Its AMAZING how fresh & new each workout feels even tho its much of the same footage. Its like a little surprise to perk you up when theres a new one thrown in!

I adore doing drop sets (as long as its not PUSH UPS!!!!);)

The X-Body Drop sets were really a bright spot for me even tho I wasnt in a peak state yesterday. Also LUV LUV LUV the Prone Straight Arm Flys! I appreciated these because thats my weak area.

Question that I have always meant to ask on the Scapular Retraction.
Do I lift my shoulders to ears while retracting my shoulder blades?
When I shrug to my ears I feel like I am rounding my shoulders- when I focus on retracting my shoulder blades I feel it more in traps and upper back.

Thanks for another fantastic workout that kicked my bootay! :D

Hi Tracy! Anytime a movement feels off or you find yourself questioning the machanics of the movement, immediately use very light weight so that you don't hurt yourself while attemting to figure it out. In this case, I say light as opposed to no weight, because you do need some weight in order to feel the gravity of the movement. That gravity will help you anchor your position. Try to think of aiming the top of your elbow to the ceiling. Initially it will feel a little awkward (almost in the same sense as that of a pullover in that it pulls you into a range of motion you might not feel ready for, hence go lighter with weight). If you are still too awkard, do it without the ball and go to a fixed unit like an incline bench so that you don't have to worry about stabilizing at the same time. If you don't have an incline bench then put your ball against a wall and line your body up so that you are parallel with the wall and press your body back into the ball with the non working hand on the floor to create a totally stable environment.

Hope this helps :)

Hi all,

I did disc 8 yesterday and it was great! I can definitely see my strength improving and I was able to do quite a few unassisted chin ups for both rounds.;) That exercise is always a good strength indicator for me. The pull ups at the end are mean:mad: and of course all assisted. I may try a few at the beginning of the next back workout just to see where I stand on those.

I do have a couple of questions though. On the 21 barbell rows, if we are using 65% of our 1 rm then I'm assuming that the last few should be pretty hard correct? Usually that would be a weight that we could do fewer reps with right? I'm finding it hard to count the brief standing up between sets of 7 as a rest:rolleyes:

Also, I'm struggling a little with the 1 armed overhead tricep extensions while leaning on the ball. I can't seem to get my shoulder joint to feel quite right.:confused: Am I supposed to be retracting my shoulder as I set up for the exercise? Maybe my weight is too heavy. I can complete the reps, but had an odd tingling sensation in my left arm which I know is probably not good.

Overall a great workout and for me the easiest of the back and tricep workouts.

Tracy

Keep up the awesome work Gayle. You are going to be a pull up queen soon :) Keep shocking it! :eek:

Good morning everybody!

Disc 8, for me, was yesterday (I start my new STS weeks on Sunday) and my tris are sore today. Like many of you, I just LOVE the sequencing of these workouts. You work really REALLY hard on one body part and you think that you're spent, but then you move onto the next body part and it's rested and ready to work, work. And I LOVE drop sets of ANY kind! :D

How have you all been doing with the chin ups and pull ups??? I have a Power Tower and use a pull up band and absolutely LOVE it. It allows me full range of motion with just the right amount of resistance to get the motion started. I think I'll soon be moving onto the less-resistance band for pull ups, and WILL move onto the blue Cathe band SOON!

Since I'm doing the 6 month rotation, I'm only 'with' you guys this week and next until you leave me behind, but it's fun while it lasts!

Have an awesome day!

Gayle

Go Jenn!!!!! :eek:

Disc 8 done. Another goodie.

I need to go heavier on the side lying extensions. Also the drop sets for cross body I did good on one side but the other side I struggled. I also tried doing pull/chin ups using DH's squat rack and boy that was tough.

Jenn

Hi Rhonda! If your gut is telling you that you should stop until you see your doc, then perhaps you should. But if you are feeling no pain, no pinching, or out of the ordinary response other than one side being a little weaker, then try lighter weights until you get to the doc. If the light weight option still has you concerned after an attempt or two, then hold off completely. I hope you figure this out soon. I know how frustrating unexplainable set backs can be. Good Luck!

I did disc 8 this morning. I don't know how much longer I should be working out. My left arm/shoulder just doesn't want to cooperate. When doing the T and Ys the left arm slowly lowers to the floor. The right arm is fine. I cannot keep the left arm up for the life of me. I don't know if it is just not ready to hold up, not sure why since I have never had this problem before, or if it is a medical issue.

so I don't know if I should take a break from these workouts until I see my doc in a couple weeks or fight it out for the last week of meso 1 next week as I see the doc on my rest week. I am hoping to make it through next week even if it means lowering my weights.

Even if I am just standing I will raise both arms to shoulder height and the left will slowly lower on its own no matter how hard I try to keep it there.

Rhonda

Despite almost taking out my nose with a dumbell when my tricep hit failure during the drop sets, :p I am definitely feeling stronger this week from last.

Glad it wasn't just me Mary :D

Good Morning All-

Tackled disc 8 in dark of the early AM this morning. :)

Liked the sequencing of this one and the variety of the exercises. I know the sequencing can make a big difference in how strong you are from exercise to exercise and it really helped in allowing me to hit all my target weights and fight through the last few reps of each exercise. Despite almost taking out my nose with a dumbell when my tricep hit failure during the drop sets, :p I am definitely feeling stronger this week from last.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Mary

Keep rocking and shocking it in the wee hours of the morning Bev. My hats off to you :eek:

I did Disc 8 this morning and the time flew by for the entire workout. I LOVE the dropsets and the band work! I think I got a little better on those side lying one arm pushups today because I felt it more in the triceps than I have before. The pikes on the plates in the ab workout are definitely going to be a challenge for me but I didn't think that I would ever master the ones on the ball in KPC and I did, so I'll just keep plugging away at them.

Cathe-I have to tell you that I do these workouts at 6am and I'm barely awake when I turn the tv on and put that disc in, but the minute that I hear the STS music I am pumped up and ready to go. Not only is it a great workout but you also did an awesome job on the music!!!!!

Bev

Aw Becky. At least the scrambling for weights burned some extra unexpected calories :eek: Glad you had a good workout!

Hi Fellow STS'ers !:D

I did disc 8 / stab ball abs / extended stretch this morning.:eek:

I loved the bandwork & drop sets!

I got to the second set of barbell rows though and then my workout card skipped a bunch of exercises .......skipped right to the last 4 exercises !
I don't know how that happened, but it left me scrambling to try to get the right weights !!!
I guessed quite a bit lower on the double arm drop set for back, and kickbacks :( but higher on the lying tricep drop set .
I like having my workout card there to tell me what to do and I didn't like not having it !!

I got my red band yesterday, so I did some of the variations for chinups and pullups with that. I liked having that option. Also did a few REAL pullups and the rest off my treadmill.

GREAT workout !!

Becky

thanks cathe

Hi,

Thanks for responding to my question about the leaning overhead tricep extensions. I'll go a little lighter with my weight. That is probably why I can't get my shoulder in the correct position.

I'm excited to do disc 9 tonight, because I love to work legs:)

Tracy

Cathe I have a question about the one arm horizontal rows. I can't tell if my form or off or if it's just because I have short arms (actually I have short everything :rolleyes:) When I bring my arm up, the end up my weight runs into my body. Should the hand be even with the elbow or closer to the body than the elbow? When I'm pulling up the weight, my hand tends to be closer to my body than my elbow. Thanks!

Nothin but a thang....I LOVE that!

That was great Jilly! See, it's moments like those that give us the reality check that this workout "stuff" really DOES work. :D

I, too, love those days!!

Gotta tell you something, Cathe! Yesteday I went to D!ck's Sporting Goods to buy some 25# plates for my barbell. In any event, I was in line, holding one 25# plate in each hand, and there were two customers ahead of me. When it was my turn, I set the plates on the counter and the cashier started laughing. He said, "Dang, girl - were you holding those the whole time?! You were standing there all calm, I thought you had a pair of socks in your hand! But you were holding fifty pounds like it was nothin' but a thang." It was pretty funny. All thanks to you and STS!

I can't believe you did a set of horizontal chin ups AND a set of horizontal pull ups. And I bet you did them like it was "nothin' but a thang." :)

Hi Cathy! Yes, the end of my weight sometimes makes contact with my ribs, chest area. Have your arm come up so that your elbow is out to the side, with your hand lined up beneath it at about a 90 degree angle (facing the side wall) as opposed to right along your side (in which the arm is tucked tight to your side with the elbow facing the back wall. You may find the weight come up and touch your body here and there. That's not such a big deal as long as you are rally focusing on feeling this in the upper outer portion of the back. :)

Cathe I have a question about the one arm horizontal rows. I can't tell if my form or off or if it's just because I have short arms (actually I have short everything :rolleyes:) When I bring my arm up, the end up my weight runs into my body. Should the hand be even with the elbow or closer to the body than the elbow? When I'm pulling up the weight, my hand tends to be closer to my body than my elbow. Thanks!

High Five ASUDaizy!

SO, I made it thru the wo! :) and what a wo! Here I was going along, thinking I was getting into the rhythm and bam, week 3 comes along and I love it! So far disc 7 is my favorite, but I still have a long way to go....but today's wo just FLEW! by and it was awesome. I love the sequencing in this week and it's really working me hard. And man, I love the band work. My tri's are already feeling it today. BTW, I also love the extended stretch. I had yoga so I thought I wasn't going to like it, but I like how it's not too pose-y, but stretches me out and I can tell a difference when I do it and when I don't....thanks for putting it on each disc b/c I would be tempted to skip it if I had to change disc's for it. GL guys....I'm a little nervous about the leg routine on Friday......you're killer on my legs, just like I need! ;)

Way to go SassyLady! My favorite song is the one that comes on for wall squats in this Disc. Love that rock sound mixed with the airy orchestra back up. I have it on surround sound and that song gave me goosebumps.
Hi Everyone,

Did Disc 8 on Tues evening. It was challenging, but good. I started out a little tired as it was near my bedtime, but as someone else mentioned, the music really pumps you up & gets you motivated. I think I have made some strength gains as the weights felt perfect for each exercise & not as much as a struggle; definitely burned on the last 2-3 reps, but able to finish the sets on most exercises.

I also had the same question about the scapular retractions that someone mentioned earlier...are they more shoulder shrugs or squeezing your shoulder blades towards the middle of your back?

I loved the crossover kickback dropsets! Really felt the burn on those, but really felt my triceps were worked out harder than ever--they need a lot of work, so that's a good thing ;)

Loved Disc 8 & looking forward to more STS!

We get to "Spring Ahead" this coming weekend, which means that our 5:00 wake-up time will feel like 4:00 instead! This will be the true test of DH's determination to stick with STS.

:eek::eek::eek:OMG Kathryn....should I start your pot of coffee now????

Hi! DH and I will be doing Disc 8 tomorrow morning (Thursday), so we expect to be sore by Friday! (Our schedule is Monday, Thursday, Saturday).

Bad news for us: We get to "Spring Ahead" this coming weekend, which means that our 5:00 wake-up time will feel like 4:00 instead! This will be the true test of DH's determination to stick with STS.

Fortunately, our active recovery week is after that, and I have to say I'm looking forward to it!

Hi Cathy! Yes, the end of my weight sometimes makes contact with my ribs, chest area. Have your arm come up so that your elbow is out to the side, with your hand lined up beneath it at about a 90 degree angle (facing the side wall) as opposed to right along your side (in which the arm is tucked tight to your side with the elbow facing the back wall. You may find the weight come up and touch your body here and there. That's not such a big deal as long as you are rally focusing on feeling this in the upper outer portion of the back. :)

Thanks for the info. Springing ahead is not nearly as nice as falling back!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.