strike zone or in the ring?

lulubell

Cathlete
Hi all,

Just wondering seeing as alot of you have done srtike zone already with mixed reviews, I am thinking of getting that or Amy's In the Ring...which is a better workout?

Aggie

Hi Aggie,

I really like them both, but I would say that In the Ring is more intense and harder, if that's what you're looking for.

Have you checked out clips of them yet? I think that Collage (www.collagevideo.com) has some clips and more reviews of both so you can check them out a bit more.

I'm sure others will chime in, too! :)

In the Ring is super fun, easy to modify for low impact, great music and non-stop sweaty cardio with zero dread factor. It thoroughly works me but doesn't kill me, if that makes sense. You can see a nice long clip of it at Amy's website: www.nrgfitness.net

Jonahnah
Chocolate IS the answer, regardless of the question.

Hi,

I have done Strike Zone and In The Ring. Personally, I do not particularly care for "In The Ring." It is highly choreographed and I prefer more Athletic type work outs. I thoroughly enjoyed Strike Zone (except for the interludes between strikes). It really is a matter of personal preference. As was already suggested, you can check out the video clips at Collage. Video.

RS

The more I do In the Ring, the more I enjoy it. It's also one of those workouts that sneaks up on me. I kind of think I'm not working that hard but all of a sudden I realize I'm dripping with sweat. I use an 8 pound med ball for the intervals. The time goes by super fast when I do In the Ring but I DO enjoy Amy's cardio a lot. If you don't enjoy learning choregoraphy then you may want to pass on Amy's, although, I found the choreography to be eaiser than KBX (like that one too). Amy somehow keeps it fresh and fun and the her music selection is very motivating to me with a driving beat. She is also on beat with the music and Amy's enjoyment and passion for what she does shows through in her workouts in a sincere way. In the Ring flows from one combo/interval to the next. You will learn combo 1 on both sides then put them together then do med ball interval 1, next you learn combo 2 both sides, put them together then do med ball interval 2, then you combine combo 1 into interval 1, combo 2 into interval 2. Then you repeat the exact same pattern with como's/intervals 3 & 4. The choregoraphy is interesting, somewhat complex (I use the word complex loosly but I guess it is more complex depending on if you are expecting non-choreographed kickboxing), and lower impact than KBX but not completely low impact. The more I do it and the more familiar I become with the choregoraphy the more of a pack I put into the punching and kicking. There are a couple of sections I modify for space which I find very easy to do. Defintely check out the long clips of each workout on Tracey's (Tracey's clip DOES work for this particular workout and it's right on her home page) and Amy's website (all of Amy's clips work except for her newest ones which haven't been filmed yet). Oh, In the Ring is produced with Greg Twombly so the camera angles/shots are pretty basic and you can see what Amy and the girls are doing clearly the whole time.
Angela:)

I like both, though I prefer Strike Zone. People complain of the pauses between strikes, but I use that time to do the following 'Cathe' moves:

Hammer-punch lunges
Lateral skates
Sumo squats
Power scissors
Jumping rope in a 'z' formation ala Kick Max or High Step Challenge
Plie jacks
Plyo jacks

or just a boxer's shuffle if I'm tired after a particular 'strike.'

I wish In the Ring's med ball segments were tougher. I wish she'd put Hi/Lo Knockout's 'knockouts' in In The Ring (or something of a similar intensity). If you do get In the Ring, you can try use a 10, 12, and 15# db instead of a medball, as I find using dumbbells to be more of a challenge. That said, I do enjoy both In the Ring AND Strike Zone.

I have both...If in the Ring broke I would repurchase it...I wouldn't re purchase Strike Zone.

In the Ring has a lot of moves in it, but after a couple times...it becomes much easier to follow and you really sweat your tush off...truly a burner...

Strike Zone was really too broke up for me to enjoy...it was pretty frustrating...I like to keep moving when I workout...the moves were fun, but by the time you got the hang of it, you got the pause and wait....for the next segment.

c

These are two VERY different workouts so it's hard to compare them. Strike Zone is a series of drills/combos, less choreographed than In the Ring. Amy's cuing is done at the same time as the move and can be difficult to learn, but the workout is fun once you get it down. What are you looking for to make your choice---intensity, choreography or complexity or something else? They are both good workouts IMHO and it depends on your goals.

I asked this same question a few weeks back, and ultimately bought both. I like both, but prefer Strike zone. It has more drills, less chorography. Amy's may be more intense, but I think if you really punch and kick hard so can Strike zone. I love Amy's workouts comparable to cathe's in intensity, the problem is they are so choreographed that I dread doing them and don't do them as much as I would like.

Amy is coming out with a drill based kickboxing called Rumble. if this is what you prefer you may want to wait. I'm hoping this one has less choreography.

Hope this helps.

Mary

I agree, they are two completely different workouts. Like with all Amy's cardio workouts, it sneaks up on you and you're having so much fun you don't realize you're sweating. Sure there's a learning curve, and her cuing can be frustrating, but once you get the hang of it I think you'll really like it. The nice thing about her floor cardio is I never get bored doing it.

Strike Zone can be made tougher by doing plyos in between strikes. I love drill style kickboxing. The best thing about SZ is the male instructor Josef. He has perfect form and instructs well. I'm learning a lot about proper kickboxing form doing this workout. I think it will be a valuable tool in my collection.

Get both!:7

I like both but prefer In The Ring. I liked all of In The Ring whereas I only liked strikes 7-11 in Strike Zone. I like more choreographed kickboxing whereas Strike Zone is more drills. They are both sweatfests but I feel like I enjoyed In The Ring a lot more and Amy is on the beat whereas Tracey isn't (at least for almost almost half of it).

Marcy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.