Storms & Road Trips

amy_b

Cathlete
Howdy all,
We had such a wonderful time at the Road Trip, and it was wonderful to meet you all. Monica and I decided, unfortunately correctly, that if we didn't duck out early, we were going to get stuck in Philly at the airport. We ended up leaving at 4:00 am this morning to catch the 6 am early bird flight. Last I checked, the next two flights were cancelled and the 1:00 flight we were scheduled to be on is still delayed indefinitely.
So... I hope most of you Road Trip air travelers fared well on getting home, but I'm guessing many folks will be much later than they expected.
On the 2005 Road Trip, a few of us had to drive to Baltimore to get home by Monday. What a trip!
Anyway, we were SO sorry to miss this morning's activities, but we absolutely had to be home this evening.
Thank you all for your hospitality! I'll be posting my pictures later.
'Til next time...
Amy

I hope that everyone makes it home safely and that the flights aren't too delayed. When I drove out of Glassboro at 11:30 a.m., it was pouring and there was lightning, but as I drove north on the NJ Turnpike, it stopped about a half-hour into the trip. In NYC, it's overcast, but not stormy (yet).

Safe travels, everyone!

Road Warrior

I left the Cathe trip around noon, headed back to DC by car, and got caught in an hellacious hailstorm, with strong wind and side-ways rain. Really, really bad. Many cars just pulled over to the side of the road to wait it out. My car was pounded with hail, I was just waiting for the windows/windshield to crack.

I'd watched the Weather Channel before I left the hotel, and they said the storm was moving into the Philly area in the early evening, which was why I decided to go ahead and hit the road sooner rather than later. Guess I caught the bad weather on its in way to Phillly/South N.J.!

Anyway, I finally made it home safe, but what an adventure! Rather frightening, actually.

Amy, I was wondering where you guys were this morning! Given the difficulties you had in '05, who can blame you for trying to beat the weather today. Glad you guys are home safe and sound. :)

--Allison

I'm still at the airport and it's way nasty outside. Inside the terminal there are lots of unhappy people!

Oh, Sheila! Poor YOU!
I'll cross my fingers you get home soon! And thanks, Allison. It was so good to see you and get to visit a bit.
I'm super sore, sorry I missed today, and also glad to be home. :)

Hey Amy,

I'm requesting on my RT questionare form that the coordinators/Cathe to drop the traditional bad weather trip home scenario. 3 times in a row, enough already!!!!! We don't need the extra big bang to end our weekend....Cathe does a good job of this all by her self.:eek:

But 2005 was the worst for most. Good call on your part this time. It was nice seeing you again.

I guess that I am lucky to be delayed for only 2 hours.We sat on the runway for 2 hrs before taking off because all south bound flight departure was closed till further notice. Jennifit's flight was delayed big time, I hope she (and the rest of you) got home safe.

Suzette

I guess we were quite lucky. We only encountered some semi brief heavy rain about an hour from home. I was glad for not to be the one driving though! Thanks Tammy :)

Since I posted from the airport, I figured I should let you know I got home safe and sound at a little after 2 AM. My flight ended up being about 4 hrs late, so really not too bad. While waiting at the airport, I got to see a pretty dramatic storm (from the perspective of a California weather weenie) and one of the brightest double rainbows I've ever seen!

Sheila,

I saw the same double rainbow while sitting on the tarmac for 7 hours! Wasn't it beautiful?

Glad you made it home safely.
Lorrayne

Our drive to the airport was a white knuckle, anerobic experience. Kathy, Deb, and I left for the airport right in the heart of the storm's fury. Roads were flooded causing us to be directed to an alternate route (thanks, Nancy, for the directions).

All three of our flights ended up being delayed due to the storm. In fact, Deb's flight was canceled. However, we were able to get her on another flight later that evening (thank goodness). My plane pushed back from the gate an hour later than originally scheduled. The good news for this delay is that it enabled LeanneM to take this flight instead of being stranded in either Philly or Housten (her original flight was at least an hour delayed which would have caused her to miss her connecting flight). The bad news for us was that we spent the next 5 hours sitting on the tarmac while watching the storm settle over the airport. We then spent the next couple of hours at a gate waiting for the fuel truck to come top off our fuel (and to offload a passenger with medical issues).

We finally landed safely at 1:30 AM Pacific Time.
Lorrayne

Sorry so long!

Here's a copy & paste of what I wrote inthe OD Forum. Also, want to add to this post that we saw a floating car in high waters on the way to airport! Here is my fun experience! Ha!....Well, I finally made it home! Not a good experience after such a FUN, FUN weekend! LONG explanation follows: This is a combo airport and baggage experience...I was set to fly out at 4:20 PM and finally departed at 10 something! That was fine as weather conditions were uncontrollable. During the whole process, my flight was canceled. I was thankfully able to get booked on a new flight thanks to Lorrayne's airport expertise! Then, my gate was changed several times. The last change involved me moving 3 concourses away. I had a half hour to get to a gate before the plane was SUPPOSED to board. I was hustling to get there and got to the shuttle area to take shuttle over and they said it was closed down & would not give a reason or when it MIGHT be re-opened to take me over to my final concourse. (They were very RUDE when I questioned..) This is hard/disappointing enough when you are trying to get to your destination in TIME w/o the personnel being cocky & rude. So, since I had no idea when the shuttle would be running again, I had to start hustling on foot to get to my final gate. I was high-tailing it with a teenage boy I found along the way who was lost and was going to my same gate. As we were going down one of the corridors, there was water all over the floor that had leaked thru the ceiling all down the corridor. (I imagine this was to due to weather conditions but there had to be an airline employee who noticed this also, not just me!) I was trying to be cautious as I hurried along with heavy bags and eventually I fell! It hurt when it happened but I HAD to keep going. Thankfully, the teenager helped me and also got my belongings that scattered in all directions. This morning I have tingles going down shoulder and back and also "pulled" muscles in both ankles and very sore arm. I think I will be fine with some rest, stretching and anti-inflammatory meds. Thank goodness I am strong & in good health fitness wise but had this been an elderly person, there could have been worse results. We finally got to our destination to find our plane had been delayed further so I sat & recouped & TRIED to relax. (I had been up since 4:00 AM and it was a very long & exhausting day.) Upon arriving home, I retrieved my checked suitcase to find it was soaked inside! Not just a little but to the point I could actually wring out the clothes. There was not one item that was dry at all. I had several paper items that were ruined & a special birthday card I had bought for my nephew. Thankfully, I had left a scrapbook kit and also my Who's Who Book behind due to I could not fit them in my suitcase and SNM are mailing them to me. They would have been ruined had they been packed. I know the heavy rains cannot be stopped but the suitcases could have been covered with tarps or left inside til needed rather then sit out on a tarmack in pouring rain. All-in-all, it was not a good experience yesterday and I was greeted several times thru the experience with not-so-nice attitude from airport employees. Sooo, to reply PROPERLY to this post, I made it home!!! I cannot end this post without saying that I had a WONDERFUL time once again with all you August RTers! The two RT's are def the highlight of my year! You all are so wonderful and I feel priviledged to be a coordinator and to be able to spend time with Cathe and her wonderful team! HUGS to you all! (Sorry for the long, whiny vent!) Off to put my third load of WET clothes into the washer! Ha!

Wow, Deb, I didn't realize that all your belongs were soaked in your luggage. How awful! Thankfully, you arrived home safely!

WOW!
That's pretty incredible! Our departure during the 2005 road trip storm is about as rocky as yours. It involved a shocking amount of rudeness, a 4 hour wait on the tarmac, a cancelled flight, a one-way rental car, a 3-state midnight drive, a bonding experience with Shonie and Marla, and a strip search. I was trying to get home in time for my husband's parents 50th Anniversary celebration. We did make it.
The good news, Debbie, is that 3 years later, it is an exciting adventure story. :) Just not one I wanted to re-experience. ;-)

Last edited:
OMG, Amy!!! A strip search?! Really?! YIKES!!!!

Debbie, sorry to hear your trip back was so rough (and everyone else who was delayed too.) I hope you didn't hurt yourself too badly, and hope everyone else made it home safe and sound!

Sheila,

I saw the same double rainbow while sitting on the tarmac for 7 hours! Wasn't it beautiful?

Glad you made it home safely.
Lorrayne

That storm was certainly dramatic. I was wondering what it must have felt like from the inside of an airplane! I'm glad you finally made it home.

For anyone else who wants to see the rainbow, here's a photo:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/photoplog/index.php?n=673

that I snapped with my phone from the airport window.

Sheila

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.