Still having a hard time with this getting old stuff!

I'll be 60 this year. Please, please count your blessings. If you are healthy and happy, you've got this. I have not slowed down a bit in what I can do fitness wise. I'm lifting heavier than I ever have and continue to gain muscle definition. I am also doing a boot camp 7 or 8 times a week and I can out last, out lift and out perform the 20 year olds in the class....all thanks to my years with Cathe!!

I'll be 60 this year. Please, please count your blessings. If you are healthy and happy, you've got this. I have not slowed down a bit in what I can do fitness wise. I'm lifting heavier than I ever have and continue to gain muscle definition. I am also doing a boot camp 7 or 8 times a week and I can out last, out lift and out perform the 20 year olds in the class....all thanks to my years with Cathe!!

Yes, yes! This!!!

Ladies, you all are awesome! Thanks so much for your honesty and inspiration, and for setting things straight!

Overall, I have been doing okay and have been having fun experimenting with the various changes I need to make. But recently I've had a nasty down-slump and let myself vent. I should know better. :) Life IS good, and I'm very fortunate in so many ways.

Last night I did Cardio Super Sets. I've been experimenting with that one for a while, always using the "extreme" version because it's longer. Last night I gave myself quite a workout, and I think I've perfected my "edits" to this one! I'd say I worked just as hard as I used to in the typical high impact step routine, and when I was done, I was very satisfied - with how I felt, and with my creativity.

I also know that the changes I've made, like not doing step and changing the way I lift weights, has definitely improved the way I feel. I don't need meds for arthritis aches anymore, and I always feel good after a workout, instead of feeling pulverized. Cathe's instruction and all of her advice has helped me to choose the best and most effective modifications, and that's going to keep me going for quite a bit longer. So - no more complaining!! :)

Oh boy has hit been hitting me hard lately. Pure and simple, I don't want to get old! I'm quite old enough already! Sigh.

I shouldn't complain. I'm still fit. I can still work out, hike, play with the dog, and more - and I'm still in much better shape than most of the people I know. But dang it all, I can't do what I really love to do: complex step and long, hard, sweaty cardio (often one in the same). I desperately miss step lately.

I have an elliptical, which is no impact at all, right? It screwed up my knee a few months ago, so I took a break. The knee is still sort of iffy, but significantly better. I decided to try using the elliptical in a different way, more for HIIT instead of the long sessions. Well, it bothers the other knee now. AND, of all the seriously irritating things ... I tried four 1-minute intervals at the highest resistance, alternating with weights during one of my weight workouts. The next morning, my arthritic foot was killing me. I love working at high resistance on that thing. So yet another fun thing my body says NO to.

So yep, even though I shouldn't, I'm complaining.

Cardio is currently Cathe's low impact stuff - After Burn, Cardio Super Sets, Low Impact HIIT, Low Impact Sweat. I also use Cross Fire and a premix of Intensity with many, many low impact innovations of my own which turned out remarkably well. But I'm tired of drill-based cardio. I want Party Rockin' Step #1!!!

Walking is good in its own way, but it doesn't get my heart rate up where I want it. I cut it out last summer due to foot problems, but I may try to bring it back in, just to get away from the drills.

Weights are okay I guess. I think I've mentioned before that I don't use DVDs for that anymore because the pace is too fast and doesn't allow me time for transitions with the lifting hooks I have to use. I'm in a fairly decent place strength-wise, but I also know that I can't really increase my weights because I'm at the max my hands can handle. That's okay, but I miss working out with Cathe. Just something else to complain about.

And it sure doesn't help to read all Cathe's blog posts about how much declining estrogen levels and so on affect fitness levels. I'm not criticizing the articles - it's good to know that stuff. But it's also rather depressing.

Aaaaaalllllll righty, then! Enough whining. I just had to get it out. I don't know very many of you, but I do know that most of you will understand because you love to work out too. Thanks for bearing with me through the end of this.
Can't help with everything but as an over 50 finishing menopausal woman I can relate. I have an arthritic toe as well. Podiatrist gave me an insert for my shoes that works wonders. I can do my Cathe cardio! I also have a compounded anti inflammatory and pain relief cream he prescribed that I use twice a day. Between the two, I can still do my beloved Cathe, although I do modify some nowadays. The insert is a dynaflex carbonite insert that is contoured but prevents excessive movement of the toe and joint. Expensive but so worth it. Hope that helps.

Just want to add to my post that I too have aches and pains sometimes. I know I just have to keep moving, do what works and keep having fun. I too am so thankful for this Forum (and of course Cathe). You all are great!

My Mom's birthday is today and she turned 90. She has on her bulletin board: If you rest, you rust.

Joanne

Thanks for the post and share. Aging for athletes is new stuff. I consider all of us here athletes. And I was born before Title 9! I don't post much anymore but I've been doing Cathe since 2002 and I was doing The Firm before that. I was struck with Psoriatic Arthritis at age 39. I have to do regular, varied exercise at least 5 x a week or I freeze up and am in pain. It hurts if I workout and it hurts worse if I don't. :) I'm 62 now (my picture was from 3 years ago). I do take breaks from Cathe's Monthly Rotations by adding in some Ki-Hara stretch/strength workouts and right now ..... I can't believe I'm doing Miranda Esmond White's PBS am workouts as well !!!! I thought they were just for "Old People". She has a lot of wisdom in her workouts about the human body. I use her 30 min TV stuff to get my joints warmed up in the am or add them in before I do Cathe. I think people in my age bracket are the one's who are rewriting what it means to age well. What was often thought as aging was disease or dis/mis/use of the body. Sometimes I get angry that I had my inflammatory arthritis hit me at age 39 because it did ruin my plans to be an actor but then again would I have continued to workout with Cathe on a regular basis without having known what it's like to be crippled? Biologic Drugs keep my disease in remission. I think my PsA was a blessing is disguise, it brought me to The Firm and then to Cathe. My Cathe Workouts, my CD's or Downloads and my Cathe equipment of step, risers, stability balls, free weights, bands, mats etc are the most valuable things I own. Aside from people and pets, I'd save them in a fire before jewelry or clothes. I had a child at age 43 who is now 19. Cathe kept me in shape to keep on being a productive part of his life. Anyway. Sorry for the long post ... I totally get the aging/illness/injury frustration. I've had a complete rotator cuff tear and repair, a C-section, joint damage from arthritis, plastic surgery after Mos Surgery for skin cancer but Cathe has been a part of my recovery all along the way. I have to be humble and do modifications if needed. Hurts my ego but rather my ego than an unintended surgry like my rotator cuff!!! That one was a real bugger. I didn't listen to my body on that one. :) It's so uplifting to see how many of us are still here!!!!!!!!! Cheers to all of us!!

Thanks for the post and share. Aging for athletes is new stuff. I consider all of us here athletes. And I was born before Title 9! I don't post much anymore but I've been doing Cathe since 2002 and I was doing The Firm before that. I was struck with Psoriatic Arthritis at age 39. I have to do regular, varied exercise at least 5 x a week or I freeze up and am in pain. It hurts if I workout and it hurts worse if I don't. :) I'm 62 now (my picture was from 3 years ago). I do take breaks from Cathe's Monthly Rotations by adding in some Ki-Hara stretch/strength workouts and right now ..... I can't believe I'm doing Miranda Esmond White's PBS am workouts as well !!!! I thought they were just for "Old People". She has a lot of wisdom in her workouts about the human body. I use her 30 min TV stuff to get my joints warmed up in the am or add them in before I do Cathe. I think people in my age bracket are the one's who are rewriting what it means to age well. What was often thought as aging was disease or dis/mis/use of the body. Sometimes I get angry that I had my inflammatory arthritis hit me at age 39 because it did ruin my plans to be an actor but then again would I have continued to workout with Cathe on a regular basis without having known what it's like to be crippled? Biologic Drugs keep my disease in remission. I think my PsA was a blessing is disguise, it brought me to The Firm and then to Cathe. My Cathe Workouts, my CD's or Downloads and my Cathe equipment of step, risers, stability balls, free weights, bands, mats etc are the most valuable things I own. Aside from people and pets, I'd save them in a fire before jewelry or clothes. I had a child at age 43 who is now 19. Cathe kept me in shape to keep on being a productive part of his life. Anyway. Sorry for the long post ... I totally get the aging/illness/injury frustration. I've had a complete rotator cuff tear and repair, a C-section, joint damage from arthritis, plastic surgery after Mos Surgery for skin cancer but Cathe has been a part of my recovery all along the way. I have to be humble and do modifications if needed. Hurts my ego but rather my ego than an unintended surgry like my rotator cuff!!! That one was a real bugger. I didn't listen to my body on that one. :) It's so uplifting to see how many of us are still here!!!!!!!!! Cheers to all of us!!

Thanks for sharing your story!!! It is nice that we do have so many that understand what we are going through, but tough none the same. Congrats to you for sticking with it... it shows a true strength both physically and mentally, you are awesome!

This is an inspiring thread, we may be getting older but it is a blessing to be able to move and workout, whether it's a little slower or if we are still keeping up with Cathe. To have your health is a true blessing which can sometimes be forgotten or taken for granted.

I will be 60 in two months. Still doing Cathe and other advanced workouts, but do have to modify a little. Found out I have arthritis in my hands and knees. It is a bummer because I like to lift heavy, but my hands hurt after.
But I plan to keep on keeping on as long as possible. When I can't lift heavy weights I'll find something else, bands, etc. to do. I have seem what no exercise can do as we get older. I don't want that.
If I can only go on a fast walk when I am in my 70's and 80's that's what I will do. Keep moving!

Hi SRP, I am right there with you; sometimes I see a 80 year old women and say OMG I will be her age someday. I'm 57 years old and can't believe that I am 57 years old. My goal when working out is to be as independent as possible, don't want to use a cane, walker for a long, long time. The amazing thing is that my body will tell me what to do and what not to do, of course, I modify the exercises to make it safer for me. But as we get older our bodies change, but we can still exercise at high intensity probably not high impact. I myself use a trampoline for any high impact moves and it works beautifully. So hang in there, we are all getting old every second. Like you said you can still workout, play with your dog, etc. so keep doing what you're doing and we will all Age Gracefully.
How do you use the trampoline? I've developed a bunion that has limited toe impact/movement. I wonder if this would help or hurt my toe issues. I never thought of a trampoline. Do you do jumping jacks, plyo jacks, etc, or just jog? I love Cathe, but my toe hurts.

How do you use the trampoline? I've developed a bunion that has limited toe impact/movement. I wonder if this would help or hurt my toe issues. I never thought of a trampoline. Do you do jumping jacks, plyo jacks, etc, or just jog? I love Cathe, but my toe hurts.
Hi Osutxgirl, I use the trampoline on anything that is high impact; exactly what you mentioned jumping jacks, plyo jacks, split jumps, pop squats even when Cathe jogs in place, I get on that trampoline - you may not have as much space on the trampoline but it does get the heart rate up and saves my joints. With your toe issue, the trampoline may lessen the impact; let me know how it feels if you decide to try a trampoline. Take care.

Hi Catheletes of a Certain Age,
I was gone for awhile for a month. Tons of work stuff in March & a death in the family. Did some Ki Hara a couple times a week but haven't done my Cathe since rotation since March 9th. I had worked up to week 3 in the Intermediate Ice Rotation. Starting all over again with week one on the Ice Beginners and I'll see how I adjust. Here we go again!!!! You all are my inspiration.

Hi Catheletes of a Certain Age,
I was gone for awhile for a month. Tons of work stuff in March & a death in the family. Did some Ki Hara a couple times a week but haven't done my Cathe since rotation since March 9th. I had worked up to week 3 in the Intermediate Ice Rotation. Starting all over again with week one on the Ice Beginners and I'll see how I adjust. Here we go again!!!! You all are my inspiration.

Sorry to hear of the death in your family, but good for you, getting started again.

Sorry too, to hear of death in your family cocob1, you are inspiring. I'm in denial, but it's nice to know all your thoughts and experiences as we face a new chapter. I'm not sad, in fact, I feel better prepared. I may not handle it all with grace, but we all have 50 years of experience to draw on, put us all together and we can get through anything. That's inspiring. Thank you all.

I'm recovering mobility with PT exercises & functional movement. Less is definitely more this time around.

Thank you for your condolences. I feel drained but I decided to start with the Ice/Low Impact rotation. Yesterday was Ice Low Impact Sweat 1 and Icy Core 1.
A bit of doms in the glutes but and I had to give a bit of time between some of the cardio sets but I did it. Here's to US!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.