Steaming Veggies

kristi

Cathlete
I'm a complete novice when it comes to steaming veggies. I've owned my steamer for probably a year now and have only used it once, to steam broccoli. Can someone please give me some good ideas on how you steam veggies? What veggies do you eat? How do you flavor them? I normally spray my veggies with a low/no calorie butter spray. I would like to eat them in a healthy way, but for my kids I'm probably going to smother them in cheese. :)

Also, I've never ate squash before. Can it be steamed?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!

You can pretty much steam any veggie (at least any that won't turn mushy, like tomatoes, for example), some (like squash) just take longer than others).

Just prepare the veggies so they fit in the steamer (I assume you are using a collapsible metal steamer, or a bamboo steamer?), and put the steamer in/over a pan of boiling water (you don't want the water to touch the veggies, but don't put in so little that it will all boil away). Then just steam until the veggies are bright colored and still a bit crisp (or softer, if you like. If you steam cauliflower until it's really soft, you can mash it to make a nice mashed potato substitute).

I usually don't flavor my veggies much, as I prefer their natural flavor, or combos of veggies. A squeeze of lemon, a bit of olive oil, maybe a sprinkle of herbs. Garlic and lemon go well with broccoli.

I usually steam broccoli or green beans. Let the water in the bottom of the covered pot start to boil, then turn off the heat and let the pot sit for 15 min or so. Try sprinkling them with some of the mixtures you can find in the spice section of the grocery store.

The BEST thing I found was from Tupperware. I eat more veggies now than I ever did because it's not a hassle anymore. The containers have a vent on the lid and I just put my frozen veggies - I use cauliflower, broccoli, mixed veggies, etc. and microwave 1-2 servings for 3-4 minutes and they turn out perfect. Much easier than the traditional way, and faster. It's also great for cooking chicken breasts.

Here's the link:

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_show_item.show_item_detail?fv_item_category_code=4000

You need to experiment if you are steaming more than one vegie at a time. For example: I start with Potatoes (white take alitte longer than sweet), when they are a little more than half cooked, I add in carrots, when carrots are about half way done I'll add in broccoli or califlower. Then they are all perfectly cooked at the same time.

I like a little campells Nacho Cheese soup on mine. Don't add the water, just straight out of the can.

I tend to buy the plastic bags of cut broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots (fresh). You can poke holes in the bag, toss in the microwave and zap for about 3-4 minutes. Super easy, super quick! You can also put them in a plasic bowl, add just a touch of water (1-2 TBS) cover and microwave 3-4 min. I do this at work (take raw and microwave at work) and it works like a charm every time!

Also, winter squash (acorn, butternut and the like) taste better if you bake them. Cut in half, clean out the seeds, place cut side down in a baking dish (9x13). Put about 1-2 in of water in the bottom of the dish and bake at 350 degrees until squash is tender. Let cool slightly, scoop out and add whatever you want. I spray the no fat butter spray on. You can add brown sugar, maple syrup, whatever you like! Another super easy thing!
Summer squash (zucchini and yellow crook-neck) I like to slice, saute is a touch of olive oil until tender, sprinkle italian herb blend and parmesan cheese and serve. YUM!!!

HTH!!!

I like to add onions, garlic, mushrooms, snap peas or bell peppers for some added flavor and color.

Usually steam green beans, brocolli, cauliflower, summer squash and occasionally the frozen stir fry combo from Costco.

The blended veggies add enough flavor for me that I rarely add anything, even spices. :9

Hey, Amy,

You might want to check and make sure that plastic bag is microwave-friendly (how to check that out, I don't know, maybe call the manufacturer? I know it's a pain in the butt, but..). Those plastics have a tendency to melt (even if you can't noticably see it) and you definitely don't want to be eating down on that! :eek:

:)

Yes, they are. In fact, the directions on the bag tell you to "cut holes and microwave in the bag". They are the crinkley-er plastic, not the soft kind, if that makes any sense. No, you're right, plastic is NOT diet friendly!!!:D

Wow, what an awesome idea, that micro-bag for veggies! I had no idea those kinds of things were available! How very modern! :p

At our house we use a pampered chef steamer in the microwave. It's probabaly one of the most used untensils in our kitchen!

LOVE pampered chef!!! I have their Professional cookware (got it all for about $150 when I had a HUGE party years ago!) and a couple of the stoneware! My baking stone is so mahogany brown (seasoned), it doesn't even look like Pampered chef!

Instead of steaming you might like them roasted, spay with any of the cooking sprays, put whatever seasonings you like (onion powder, garlic, red pepper flakes, etc) & put them on a roasting pan in the oven at 425 for about 15 mintues then cover them & cook another 15 minutes. I buy the veges frozen or fresh, makes no difference. I use broccoli, asparagus, carrots, brussel sprouts,

Karen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.