Starting over

Hi Cathe,

I am returning to working out after a long absence. I have a few of your DVD's and am looking forward to getting back into shape. I am wondering what the best shoe is for the step workouts. I have a neuroma in my right foot and need a wide toe base. I'm currently using a pair of running shoes which I know aren't good.

Looking forward to getting into shape and losing the extra weight that is holding me back from living my life to the fullest.

Thank,

Denise

I feel for you! Those are so painful!
When mine was at its worst, I found Nike running shoes to feel best. They have a nice wide toe box. Now that mine is better (knock on wood), I am wearing an Asics cross training shoe.
I think Cathe is wearing Nike running shoes in some of her videos. I don't think it is a must to wear a certain type of shoe anymore. As long as it is comfortable, and provides good support, you should be good. I find some cross training shoes to not offer the proper cushioning under the ball of the foot, that someone wih a neuroma needs. I say, right now, where what feels good.
I also make sure that my laces are not tied too tight in the toe box area.
I wish you the best!

I feel for you! Those are so painful!
When mine was at its worst, I found Nike running shoes to feel best. They have a nice wide toe box. Now that mine is better (knock on wood), I am wearing an Asics cross training shoe.
I think Cathe is wearing Nike running shoes in some of her videos. I don't think it is a must to wear a certain type of shoe anymore. As long as it is comfortable, and provides good support, you should be good. I find some cross training shoes to not offer the proper cushioning under the ball of the foot, that someone wih a neuroma needs. I say, right now, where what feels good.
I also make sure that my laces are not tied too tight in the toe box area.
I wish you the best!
T

I try to avoid anything that puts me on the ball of my foot. Knee repeaters can be tough, so be careful. Also, when I do standing calf raises, I put an exercise mat under my feet for extra cushioning. That really makes a difference for me.

Thanks for all the help and tips. I did Cathe's basic step yesterday and felt good the rest of the day. I've got to find an alternate DVD to do that is more beginner so I don't get bored just doing the one.

Happy Monday!

Just FYI for the future... I need a generous toe box on one foot. there are brands of athletic shoes that come in a wider width. Brooks is one.

Just a reminder: running shoes are meant for running and really are the best tool for doing just that (and their tread can cause tripping if you train on carpet). Cross trainers (which I believe Cathe and the crew wear) would be a better tool for the job because you are not just moving forward but up, down, back, side, you get the idea. You need a shoe that fits you and one that will support you in all directions. I never recommend a brand because we all have different feet! Case in point: I used to suffer from Morton's neuroma but found that less cushioning was the key unlike Grateful Dog who feels the opposite. Find what works for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.