Squats

Pippadog1

Cathlete
Hi

Like most people here I've been doing squat dvds forever. Anyway, I'm starting to think that maybe when doing loads of repetitions of squats 'to the beat' with music, I should replace my emphasis on depth and form.

Whilst looking at fitnessblender I looked at there 100 rep squat challenge just doing bodyweight squats. The emphasis really is on the depth and getting the hips far back at least to the knees. When I practised this using body weight slowly and deeply it is quite hard to do. I'm trying to get as low as say a yogi squat and come back up. By going deeper and slower is this better than doing quicker but with weight?

Any suggestions?

Laura

Hi Laura, I'd say they're different rather than one being better than the other. If I'm squatting along with Cathe I find the pace too quick to go low (I'm much taller than she is - that's my excuse), but I go to parallel. That hits my quads, especially just above the knees, and is very aerobic. If I'm working out on my own, or doing a squat challenge etc I go deep 'ass to grass' and then I feel it in my glutes and higher up in my quads. I was doing a Mark Lauren workout this morning - deep, slow squats with no rounding of the back, and it was just a different challenge. I also like going deep when I'm lifting heavy.

I'd say do both! You can never have too many squats!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.