Spinning Bike!!

DebbieH

Cathlete
This is probably a dumb question, but are spinning bikes availabale at your normal retail sporting good stores, such as D!ck's, Exercare, Sears(sporting dept)? We are looking into getting one but I'm not sure if we should just go for a bike trainer to mount our mountain bikes. NancyC, you out there?? I am real interested in the Spinerval tapes you mentioned and I'm getting the itch to try something new. Oh no, that means my poor hubby better brace himself! I know the bikes from what I have heard are not cheap. Thanks for any advice anyone can share. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Here are some

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-09-01 AT 08:40PM (Est)[/font][p]Hey Debbie:)

Not sure if Sears or Sporting goods stores carry true spinning bikes, but I have seen the Schwinn one in a bike shop. That's not to say you won't find a good spin bike out there. I say shop around, but be prepared that most sales people won't know what you want when you say spinning bike...even in a sporting goods store.

Here's a couple of links. I'll be honest...I think the one I have is best LOL;-). It's extremely sturdy, well made, love how adjustable it is and the company sends tons of spare parts because it's the same one used in clubs that get much more wear and tear than you'll ever give it. I have extra rubber grips for the handle bars, an axel, 3 break pads...the little gizmos that adjust the seat and bars..and even an extra seat! I do believe that the price on the web includes freight too, mine did anyway. This was a pricey piece of equipment, and even I thought I might regret it, but I don't..worth every penny. DH was even using it for a while;-).

Here's a couple of sites:
The one I have, V-Bike http://www.startrac.com it's under products/bikes;-)

Reeboks http://www.cyclereebok.com/cycle.htm

Schwinn (Johnny G bikes) http://store.schwinn.com/cgi-bin/nc...cgrfnbr=299&cat_num=&cgmenbr=177&CGRY_NUM=270

Let me know what you get:-jumpy!

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/naconfer/images/winterchickvfnutgif.jpg

Thank you!!

Thank you, thank you!! I will check these all out and see what I come up with. We stopped at Exercare tonight and they said they don't carry them. They said they had a Schwinn at one time but no longer carry them as there is no demand! I said, Hmmm, I'm surprised as it seems spinning is very popular now. He also told us to check the Internet. Thanks for taking the time to post the info and also the links. What a big help. :D. I am getting so excited just thinking of getting one. Not that I don't have enough tapes to last me til I'm 101 years old!!:-wow I'll get back to you soon. Gotta go bike hunting.:-jumpy Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

RE: Thank you!!

Hey, Ms. Deb....Check out that shop that is next to Marc's back of Belden Village Mall. I bought my Airdyne from them. They are Health & Fitness Equipment Centers, and the phone # is 492-7773.

Now that I have more room, I'd like to get a treadmill!!!

Two v ideos you'll have to have...

Debbie, if you find that bike, let me recommend two videos I know you'll like:7. I think you would enjoy Mindy Mylrea- Sport Cycle and the new Precision Cycling by Jay Blahnik(sp?). Jay is featured at the StarTrac site because he pretty much runs the training and Precision Cycling program sponsored by StarTrack/V-bike.

Both have very laid back personalities and put you at ease and they make the workout fun...all the while, pushing you to the max.Like Cathes vids, you'll get the feeling that you're part of the workout and they are there to make it work for you...you're working your *ss off but having too much fun to think about it. My others have more of a phoney feel to them..they're just filming a fitness video..even Mr Motivator, Johnny G. Plus, Mindy has a great sense of humor;-)..they put the filming bloopers at the end of the video! LOL

I have other spin videos..but those two are my favs and ones I bet you would enjoy, they would be the closest to what Cathe would do if she made a Spin video IMHO...one can only dream;-).

Thanks HB!

I've never noticed that store back there?? I definitely will give them a call or stop in. We were just in that area last night at Exercare! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to see your new workout area in your new home! HOW EXCITING!!! Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Thanks Nancy!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Feb-10-01 AT 09:53AM (Est)[/font][p]I've heard of all the tapes you mentioned and I appreciate you tipping me off on the "good ones". Oh my, I can't wait to find a bike!! I just borrowed HoneyBunches Sport's Slammin' Cardio video by Mindy and she is a hoot! She just makes you smile. THANKS Nancy~It looks like I have two more vids to add to my "wish-list".:7 My DH asked last night how much the V-Bike cost and when I told him, he just kinda looked at me with eyes like this- :-wow He knows I'm obsessed! What better to be obsessed with then Fitness, right??? Thanks for the info. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Sales job

Hey Debbie,

Here's an idea for paving the way to a V-Bike. Gather a few catalogs from spas & adventure travel companies. VBT, Green Valley Spa to warm the water. Then a Canyon Ranch (& their sister in the Berkshires), La Puerta, and Butterfield & Robinson (they do high end walkig & biking trips) to fire things up. DH will know he's getting a bargain with a V-Bike!

You just got to frame your pitch!

Debra

Hmmmm!

THAT just might do the trick! Thanks for the advice, Debra. BTW, what is high end walking? I have never heard the expression before. I'll tell you what, we could use a vacation away from Ohio! We have had a looong cold Winter & it's not over yet!:-mad It was 68 here yesterday (record breaker) and it is about 20-something now!x( I'm sooo ready for Spring. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

LOL..you could also...

explain to him what a gym memebership costs and the added costs of most spin classes;-).

My fitness buddy has a memebership to our local gym. She pays $40 a month for the use of that facility..and an added $2.50 per cycling class(which really irks me). She is then limited to the schedule they provide AND..she has to sign up for each class because of the number of bikes and sometimes she isn't even able to get in on one. Obviously she gets more out of her membership than spin classes but for someone like me who was sold on spinning when I took my free week at her club...I quickly figured out the benefits of owning instead of "renting" at the club.

Debbie, if I had joined that club just so I could spin...and they used the V-bikes, I would have paid $480 for the year and if I had only taken 2 spin classes a week for the whole year, that would have been an extra $260..for a grand total of...drum roll please;-)..$740! Pretty dang close to the cost of the V-bike! And that's just for the use of the bike for one year. I figure the bike was paid for after the first year of use.

Not only that, but if you own your bike, you aren't locked into a limited amount of classes, your bike is always set up for you, you have your own choice of workouts and you can do it when ever you want;-)....and that price really isn't all that bad, it's less than what you might spend on a quick Valentines get-away. Heck, I'd sacrifice a weekend in a hot tub for a shiney new spin bike(if I didn't have one yet;-))..well, not every year...but you only need to buy it once!

Now did Debra and I give you enough ammunition;-)! hehehe

You guys...

...are too funny. I just may have to copy your EXCUSES off Nancy & Debra and leave them LAYING around on the kitchen table! Hee-Hee! It sure makes sense. As a matter of fact, we have a brand new YMCA that just opened 5-10 minutes from my house. I called there last week to check into TRYING a spinning class before we possibly bought a bike. They offer only Tues, Thurs. & Sun at 6:00 and the classes are full til the end of March and then the Y-Members have 1st. dibbies at signing up a week before non-members. So much for that!! I am enjoying my home wrorkouts too much to join the Y now. (Although my DH wants us to go & play racketball together). Well, Thanks Nancy & Debra for the ammunition. I intend to USE IT!!! :7 Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

RE: Hmmmm!

"high end walking" is just poor sentence structure. Butterfield is a travel company that offers walking & cycling trips. The accommodations are luxurious & the food is supposed to be devine. The price is :-wow !

I don't belong to a gym but go to spinning & pilates classes at one that allows non-members to take their fee classes. I pay more than members, but even members have to pay an extra fee. DH suggested I join but it doesn't pencil out. There's some justification for a spinning fee because of the cost of the bikes but that doesn't hold for equipment free Pilates & Tai Chi classes. Strange isn't it?

Debra

RE: You guys...

Check out the North Canton Y...I know their membership rates are cheaper, and they run a LOT of spinning classes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.