Sore Throat after Pneumonia . . .

famousohara

Cathlete
Any healthcare providers, feel free to chime in . . .

My DH has been on a course of 2 antibiotics (one of which is Augmentin) for the last two weeks for pneumonia as well receiving an antibiotic injection in his butt to get things moving along quickly. The primary symptoms were cough, chest tightness and body aches - but no sore throat. Now he is complaining of a one-sided sore throat - hurts to swallow. How can a new symptom, which may be an indication of some other issue, appear with antibiotics in his system? The only thing I can come up with is possibly thrush. He has been out of work for over 2 weeks but actually sick for a period of a month and 1/2 (took the docs this long to finally figure it out). Don't get me wrong - I love him - but I need my "routine" back - he needs to go back to work! He is calling the doc today but I was hoping for some input from someone else in the industry.

Thanks in advance,

Mo

Well, I'm not a health care professional, nor do I play one on TV, but if the sore throat is viral, then the antibiotics wouldn't have any kind of affect on it at all. Perhaps he's run down and has picked up a cold?

Didn't think of the viral angle . . . you just might be right. He's been on house arrest so long I didn't think he would have the opportunity to pick up anything viral, but you never know. Thanks for the input.

Mo

I had pneumonia several times and the last time was the worst but having a sore throat on just one side seems odd. I hope the doctor has a good suggestion for him. If he does please let us know.

I have the most trouble with eating or drinking anything acidic like coke, fresca, pineapple, grapefruit, etc. I found a pill called Prelief at the drugstore. You take two tabs before eating anything acidic and it takes the acid out of it so you can eat it.

Darlene

Hi,
I just wanted to say that I took a really strong Antibiotic 2 weeks ago for Bronchitis and developed a very painful sore throat. I thought it was "just" a sore throat that I might have picked up from work but it was Thrush.

I hope your husband feels better soon. It took 3 full weeks before I felt "healthy" again! :)

Patti

Update on "DH the sick" . . .

Sore throat went away almost as quickly as it appeared. He went to the doctor yesterday. Doc says he's still not "over the hump" yet. He can start back to work 1/2 days tomorrow and then has another doctor appt. on Saturday - those office visit copays are starting to add up! I am so ready for him to go back to work - in fact I think the doctor needs to examine his ears, not his chest! I told him that dinner last night should be leftovers. We need to eat them and clear out the containers so we have something to put the Turkey Day leftovers in . . . so what does he do? He calls me mid-day to tell me he took out chicken breasts to thaw. And then he calls me before I leave the office to tell me they aren't thawed. So I took the liberty to remind him again that we need to eat the leftovers in the fridge. Got home and what did he do? He pulled chili out of the freezer . . . aargghh! I give up.

Thanks for everyone's input on this one!

Mo

I had bacterial pneumonia several times and the last time was the worst but having a sore throat on just one side seems odd. I hope the doctor has a good suggestion for him. If he does please let us know.

I have the most trouble with eating or drinking anything acidic like coke, fresca, pineapple, grapefruit, etc. I found a pill called Prelief at the drugstore. You take two tabs before eating anything acidic and it takes the acid out of it so you can eat it.

Darlene

Tnx for you post, it really helped me...

Update on "DH the sick" . . .

Sore throat went away almost as quickly as it appeared. He went to the doctor yesterday. Doc says he's still not "over the hump" yet. He can start back to work 1/2 days tomorrow and then has another doctor appt. on Saturday - those office visit copays are starting to add up! I am so ready for him to go back to work - in fact I think the doctor needs to examine his ears, not his chest! I told him that dinner last night should be leftovers. We need to eat them and clear out the containers so we have something to put the Turkey Day leftovers in . . . so what does he do? He calls me mid-day to tell me he took out chicken breasts to thaw. And then he calls me before I leave the office to tell me they aren't thawed. So I took the liberty to remind him again that we need to eat the leftovers in the fridge. Got home and what did he do? He pulled chili out of the freezer . . . aargghh! I give up.

Thanks for everyone's input on this one!

Mo

My DH came home from a business trip Wednesday night. Said the whole plane was "wheezing, sneezing and coughing." By Sunday he's in bed with a cold. Every five minutes, "babe, can you bring me some ice cream?" "I need some ice tea, it feels so good on my throat." So yup, you guessed it, last night I had a scratchy throat, and I woke up this morning, with a sore throat, and runny nose. We have an engineer, that is going through chemo for breast cancer, and she doesn't need our virus infestation. So, we are staying home. "Working from home," right? He doesn't feel like working, and I'm tired of waiting on him. (I know what you are thinking, but yes, sometimes I do) So, we just sit here, looking at each other wondering, WTH!! What do we do now? Even the dogs are tired of us, Let's hope this passes quickly. Internet shopping and a twitchy credit card. Aarrgghh!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.