so my professor...

Your professor is a jerk -

but please, remember why you got into teaching when reality hits and you reallize you can't save everyone and you wonder why you even try when there are a thousand easier ways to make a living.

Keep your idealism. The truth is most people quit teaching within the first three years because they can't hack it - the pressure, the reality, society's blame and disrespect, the testing, the accountability, the stress, etc.

I've been teaching for 12 years and I still struggle sometimes. Why do I keep teaching? Because it all comes down to the kids and because I believe everyone can learn something.

Good Luck to you.

Susan L.G.

Your professor was maybe having a bad day (he's human after all), is an insensitive ass (though he did apologize), was playing Devil's advocate and trying to confront your idealism with a bit of reality, or maybe he's seen the same kind of optimistic idealism in so many other students' papers that he's frustrated with it. It's hard to tell just looking at your version of what he said. I haven't been a student with him all semester (and his treatment of students thoughout the semester is more an indication of his character than one incident). I can't hear his tone of voice: was it disdainful (then maybe he's an a-hole), challenging without being disdainful (then Devil's advocate)?

I would base my judgement of him not on one incident, which you may have taken as more hurtful than it was meant to be (maybe you were having a bad day...if something like this makes you cry, then you may end up crying a lot when faced with some of the realities of your future profession).

Often, people misinterpret the term "naive" to mean "stupid," but that's not what it means. We are all naive about things we have no experience with.

Instead of feeling attacked and victimized, why don't you go and talk to him? Bring him some articles about children who seemed like they "didn't have a chance" and talk to him about it. Don't attack. Just discuss. You may end up having a better relationship with him, or at least not feeling like a victim.

When I was a grad student, I took a class with a Spanish professor with a Napoleonic complex. One day in class, he berated a student, several times as she was giving her presentation for saying things like "I think that" or "In my opinion," because if you are saying or writing it, it is assumed to be your opinion unless you credit someone else. He was rude, loud and seemed to attack this student, who then started crying. His comments were definitely out of place and could have been handled in private if he felt the need to comment at all.

At the end of the semester, he handed out evaluations, and gave us a "full" 5 minutes before coming back into the room(he didn't give a rat's behind about our opinions), but I took the time I needed to comment on his poor-at-best rapport with students. Unfortunately, the #(@ got tenure and was around for a long time (though I never took another class from him).

I have many teachers/professor's in my family (my dad, two brothers, a sister and two uncles) and I agree that your professor was a total jerk.

Joanne

thank you all for your support! It really means so much to me. I certainly feel better today, and I WILL write this autobiography and I will NOT let my determination to succeed at teaching be deterred.

Thank you again, you are all so thoughtful! -Tina

Some people call "naive" or whatever to whomever person has the good intentions of giving the best that he or she has to make a difference in this world. Those people may have tried to CHANGE the world and failed simply because that is impossible. You ALONE cannot change the world. But you sure can make a difference in many lives. You can search for solutions to real problems (no matter if you don't solve them), be an inspiration to others with your example, do the best that you can.

Naive and unrealistic is the one who believes that he or she alone can change the world. But believing and having the intention to do their best is not naive at all. It is totally the opposite: it is what is expected from every mature person. You CAN be realistic and optimistic at the same time. Those who criticize indiscriminately those who have any little intention of doing any good to this world by pointing them as unrealistic or naïve, are both realistic AND pessimistic. Their message is: The reality is cruel, so let’s NOT do anything! Those are the voices and the forces that pull this world back. Do not listen to them. Fortunately, there are always responsible people that keep this world moving on. Imagine how the world would be without those responsible people that were once called naïve or crazy!

My father is a professor and has been teaching for many years. His knowledge and techniques have proven successful. He has made a difference in many lives, academically and spiritually. He is 57(?) years old, I think, and he still thinks like a "naive young man". Changing the educational system is one thing and doing your job with excellence is another. (Of course, I don't think changing the system is impossible either.) Many other teachers do their job to the maximum!....Just like Cathe does the best exercise videos....to the Max!

I must respectfully say I think one person can indeed "change" the world. And by that I mean an overall change of attitude or a shift in trends is possible. The people who come to mind are Martin Luther King Jr., Mother Teresa, Ghandi, inventors like Madame Currie, Jonas Salk, and Albert Einstein. Or writers like Edgar Allen Poe, Ernest Hemingway, and Jane Austin. These people shaped the culture and history of the era in which they lived, and their work went on to become part of our lives and culture long after they died. Perhaps Tina won't change the world, but she may very well play a part in the young life of one of her students who will. The great thing about teaching is you never know what meaningful part you will play in the life of a student.

I'll use my daughter's band teacher as a small example. I don't expect my Nik will change the world, but her band teacher is the reason she didn't stop playing the clarinet after fifth grade. We put her in public schools starting in sixth grade, and so being in a new school, she had a new band teacher. She had been playing since fourth grade. This particular band teacher has a gift. She inspires the kids to be their personal best, and she brings out that best in them. Nik has made first chair clarinet three years in a row now, plays in two bands this year, and has plans to major in music when she goes to college. All because of a band teacher who encouraged her instead of becoming impatient with her, and who saw the gift inside my child and worked to bring it to the surface.

People come into our lives for a reason, and they often touch us in ways they can't even imagine.

Carol
:)

Back when I took my B. Ed at University I couldn't beleve some of my professors either. We students had a saying- those who cannot teach teach at university. A teacher who puts a student down, regardless of age (adults like you or 6 year olds I teach), is not someone fit for teaching.

I also recommend speaking to the head of the department or the Dean. A classmate or two may want to join you as witnesses.

Keep your chin up. We do make a difference!:7

Jennifer V
Grade 1 and 2 Teacher

Carol, we actually agree. I just put it in different words: All that people you mention didn't change the world completely, but they sure made a big shift.

So many times we believe we disagree when we actually agree.

Lisa,

I would be happy to. I tried to PM you but it bounced, is your email address up to date? Feel free to email me through this board or [email protected]

I don't want to discuss my son's medical history in a message board forum.

The first thing we learned about special ed and autism is the experts don't know everything and they usually paint a bleak picture. I had a doctor tell us our son would be like a puppy his entire life.

If your son is verbal he is already ahead of the curve. Your son's achievement is going to be based on your advocacy for him. Don't sell him short, question the authority that tries to.

There are times your son will hate you, my son has physically beaten me before in public because I held him to a task.

My prayers and thoughts will be with you and other "exceptional parents of special kids".

Dave

Hmmm. Maybe he's right. Maybe some kids really DON'T have a chance. The thing is, though, you won't know which kids those are until their life is completely over, and since you won't be there then, you'll just have to treat every single one of them as if they're the ones who DO have a chance.

I never cease to be amazed by some of the kids I've seen succeed against incredible odds. For example, I've got one right now who literally never knows from one day to the next where she'll be spending the night. Her father travels most of the year. Her mother is constantly in and out of rehab. She has no other close relatives nearby, and she often gets shuffled from friend to friend to friend. Yet she's at school every single day, on time, neat and clean, polite and respectful and kind--and every single week she brings me her five-day reading log signed--even if it's signed by several different people.

Shari (fifth grade teacher)

Tina,

I am currently in a psychology PhD program, and I can vouch for the fact that some professors are a-holes on a power trip. That being said, I think all us grad students (especially new ones) could use some toughening up. You need to be able to respond to a comment like that and fire right back at the person. I attend talks almost every week where people question and criticize other people's work. It's just the way it is in academe. I know it can be tough sometimes... I am like you - my first reaction is to feel sad and cry. But we have to toughen up and respond with our quick wit rather than feelings. I know this is much easier said than done, but it is something to work toward!

On a different note, my father has worked as a professor of education for over 30 years, certifying new teachers. I have heard absolute HORROR stories about teaching from him. I think a sense of HEALTHY skepticism is important for teachers. If you go out there thinking everything is going to be peachy, you will end up disappointed and depressed. He has seen it happen many times. With that being said, I think there is a right way and a wrong way to instill this healthy skepticism. And it seems your professor went about it the wrong way. Just my 2 cents.

Alison
Alison

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.