snowshoeing?

Debra L

Cathlete
Can somone who has snowshoed give me a little guidance?

1) Is there some technique involved or do you just go out & shuffle?

2) Poles?

3) Where? Should a beginner just find a road closed for winter? Or use a hiking trail? Seems like navigation might be a little tough on a hiking trail but I guess you just follow your own tracks in reverse.

4) What's trail etiquette regarding nordic skiing? Can you follow their tracks?

5) I'm assuming that one should dress the same as for nordic skiing. Right?

6) What muscles are you using (quad/hip flexor or hamstring/glute)?
I know I should be able to figure that out but...

I haven't been in snow since I moved back to California 6 1/2 years ago! Have to dig up my snow gear.

Debra

Hi Debra!

I am a native Cathe-ite who snowshoes all winter (instead of running) as my outdoor cardio! There is no technique, really. If you want a tougher workout, find snowy fields and forests, and each step will be a vertical challenge instead of just a stroll (like walking through knee-deep water). Yes, we use poles, but from the tracks we've seen at the park, not all snowshoers do. (ours are CCski poles) I like that the poles add an upper body dimension to the workout, and make it like a nordictrack thing. Hiking trails are perfect. We trudge right over CC ski paths...not sure of any etiquette on that. It seems to use arm and shoulder muscles, hams, glutes and quads.
My main advice would be get to a good pace and stay there- don't stop or slow. It's great steady state cardio!
Hope this helps!
Lisa

Thanks Lisa

Thank you for the info. It does help a lot. I went to REI today & learned a bit along with checking out equipment.

May I ask you another question about shoes? The guy I spoke to recommended using whatever hiking boots I already have to start but consider Sorel type boots if it becomes a regular activity. The Sorel boots seem like they'd be heavy & restrictive. I picked up a book off of a sale table & it recommended against Sorel type boots because they're too warm. Your opinion?

Oh, & another question. Since you approach this as a fitness activity, what do you wear over your base layer? If you use fleece, is it like Polartec 100 or 200?

I can't wait to try snowshoeing! We've finally got some local snow in Southern California.

Thanks much.

Debra

I've got some time to answer this as I am home with the flu, probably brought on by a grueling snowshoe race after two weeks of working too much. ;(

Anyway ...

Technique: it's pretty close to walking. Just remember to pick up your toes a bit, but not too high. When you go up hills, dig in with the front claws---you'll basically be climbing on your toes. For going downhill, you can a) lean forward and run for it, b) lean back to engage the back claws, or c) take giant gliding steps down step hills of deep powder (my favorite). That's the basics, anyway. There's more to it for long walks breaking trail in deep powder, but snowshoeing is nowhere as technique intensive as skiing.

Attire: waterproof hiking boots are best. Sorels are way too warm if you're moving most of the time. If I'm really going for speed, I wear my usual sockware (thermastat sock liners and a polartec 200 sock), trail runners, and a neoprene cycling/snowshoeing booty. Otherwise it's pretty much the same as for cross-country skiing. I usually wear Polartec PowerStretch up and down (thin but warm as 200 with some wind resistance), and then a wind-resistant running suit over that. Add a warm hat, mittens, and a neck gaiter, and I'm good to go.

Etiquette: stay off the X-ski tracks! It's hard to ski over snowshoe holes and hard to break trail in skis. The obliteration of ski tracks is one of the reasons skiers don't like snowshoers much. The only time I walk on the tracks is if it is unavoidable (single track hiking trail) or the skiers have gone all over the road/trail so that there is no one set of tracks to avoid. At x-ski areas, I jump over the classic tracks, and try to stay to the side of the groomed skate portion.

Poles are good for deep powder and steep uphill and downhill. I use hiking poles year round, and just switch out to snow baskets for snowshoeing. When I run in snowshoes, I go sans poles. My husband often goes without poles.

As far as where to go, I usually choose something out of "Snowshoeing Colorado." I imagine most states have a similar snowshoe or at least winter trails/backcountry x-skiing guide. If I'm by myself, I go to a well traveled trail or a nordic ski area that has trails for snowshoers.

Muscles: snowshoeing works all the leg muscles that you can think of. There is some emphasis on the hip flexors because you've added weight to the foot. I can attest to the use of all the stabilizer muscles (inner/outer thigh, abs) in snowshoeing. I was sure sore on Monday after the race.

Hope that answers your questions. I love snowshoeing. It's hard work, but well worth it.

Thanks Gretchen!

Both of you have been very helpful. DH & I have been going through our long neglected winter gear. It's been like Christmas! I've got neoprene booties for cycling so I'll pull those out.

Funny about the ski track etiquette. I asked at REI & both guys I talked w/ were 1) suprised by my question, & 2) said just follow the ski tracks but get out of skiers way since they can move faster. Your response makes more sense.

REI has a sale starting today so I'm going back. We're avid hikers, so I think this is right up our alley.

I suspected snowshoeing was going to use a lot of hip flexor. I'm nursing a quad & hip flexor injury.

You're quite the competitor Gretchen! Snowshoe races in the winter, tri's in the summer. That's awesome.

Thanks for the guidance.

Debra

RE: Thanks Gretchen!

You're welcome!

Well, I compete, but I'm not very competitive nor much of a competitor. I usually finish in the top 80%. ;-) I'm always convinced that the race itself is out to get me. Everybody else on the course is always so nice.

what fun! what a workout!!

Three friends from spinning & I made our snowshoeing debut today. We caught on quick, got a heck of a workout, & had a great time in the sunny mountains near Big Bear CA. We had to stop every 10 minutes at first just to strip off a layer. It was almost down to briefs & sports bras!

I think it was a lot more work than nordic skiing & not just because of the skiing glide. It just seemed to require a lot of muscle stabilization over different snow textures. Downhills were very kind to the joints though!

Gretchen or any other snowshoe veteran: my shoes kicked up a big rooster tail of snow which sprayed my lower body & waist pack. I tried altering my stride but that didn't do much. I wore my rain pants just to keep dry so got a little toasty. I have Atlas shoes for women designed for rolling terrain (vs flat groomed or mountaineering). Any ideas?

We had a great time & hope we can go again if we can find some snow. The nordic center we went to is closing until the next snow storm which may be next December.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.