SMALL VICTORIES---April

Hi Stace,

You're not alone with the "Food Police", I think everybody who's even the least bit weight conscious has those thoughts, trading this for that, red flagging everything... Today I hit my lowest weight since starting last year, & what did I have, 2 pieces of pizza & a beer! Now how does that figure? I'm so guilty, but hey, I'm gonna have pizza... really the thing that gets me is I was having an off week, cooking , that is, so now's time to plan & get things ready for the weekend & beyond.

Planning for the next rotation, & the one after that, things are looking up. I'm thinking I need to get serious about barbells.

did you ever do any of Janis Saffell? I wonder how good of shape you need to be in to take a dedicated martial arts program, & what kind would be good for a beginner? any ideas?

Linda

Hi..I've done one Janis workout, it was a kickboxing one where she's paired up with a guy, 'course cant think of his name or the workout off the top of my head. I remember it being okay, but I honestly havent done it in years. I believe it was a circuit workout. I'm not near my workout area right now but I can check later on the title. I've never taken any martial arts classes but it's been something I've been interested in before. I have a weird work schedule so signing up for something that's on designated nights of the week has never worked out. My sister is a black belt in karate. My favorite martial arts/kickboxing workouts over the years have been Powerstrike 1 and 2 which I think are only available on VHS. And recently, Powerstrike 5 is my favorite taught only by Ilaria (the other two have Ilaria plus another instructro doing tag team teaching, Ilaria is definitely a genuine martial artist!) I have no clue if there's a Powerstrike 3 or 4. I just checked collagevideo and they do sell a "Powerstrike" workout with just Ilaria which is NOT the same workout as the VHS Powerstrike 1. I previewed and the music is good so I just bought it, lol! I'll let you know how it is. Ilaria is a great instructor, plus she provides a low impact workout that gets you sweating!!

Today was supposed to be cardio, but after my 5 mile walk my hip/knees were a bit achey, so I did P90X's YogaX which was 90 minutes long, felt good!

Hi Stace,

Good for you on the walk, 5 miles, that's great! Do you think your sister could share some do's & don't's for someone who might want to start Karate? I don't even know really what I want yet, if not, that's okay. I enjoy yoga for about 50 minutes then I'm about done with that!

Cardio & Weights + Kick Max leg conditioning drills today, Goldilocks syndrome again, it was just right. Finished writing out rotations for May & June, with some progressive challenges. I'll probably look into Ilaria's videos when I'm done with these rotations, I kinda want to see how it all works out.

Any thoughts about what your going to call May's thread?

Linda

I can ask my sister some specifics, but my sister never really worked out before she signed up. That being said, my sister is a size 0 and used to run cross country in high school, other than that no formal martial arts training of any kind. The hardest thing from what I saw other than mentally remembering combinations of moves was during the warmup she did pushups. There were people of all ages, shapes and sizes in her class. Hope that helps some!

Geez, is it almost May already?? I'll think about a new thread title, don't have much time though do I??

Hey Stace,

There's probably not all that much available in this area anyway, there was an Aikido class this spring I was a little interested in, sounded like I might want to be able to do Cathe's roll on the floor MMA before I enroll in that, lol. Maybe I'll just keep that on the back burner for now!

How about Kick it up! for May, 'cause I definitely need too! :D

Linda

Hi Stace,

I remember what you said about food decisions, when I did have the pizza, one less slice, 2 instead of three, and one less beer one instead of 2, grand total of 500+ in calorie savings. Those kind of things add up.

We'll see about tomorrow, I hit the same numbers on the scale for over a week & then dropped some again. I'm so patient, not! Most of the time it's like watching grass grow. Did hit another milestone, I now can not remember when I weighed this it's been well over 10 years, and I've got the whole weights & cardio thing going on now, still working on the functional part, day to day. Hard to judge because I don't do the same activities.

Miles ahead of where I was last year, woo hoo!

Linda

Hi Stace,

Time to dig out the old, old scale. It's mechanical & is off by 6-7 pounds (at least it's consistent), I've had the darn thing since the eighties & I'm now approaching weights I haven't seen since then! Well, maybe in a month or two! Two pounds this month (it was 3.1 yesterday :( ), Weigh in tomorrow for the calendar. I think I'm around 22.5 pounds lost so far, about 9.5 this year. More inches but now it's like 1/4 inch at a time, here & there.

Stretchmax 2 today & yard work if I ever get around to it, made black bean burritos for dinner, yum!

Linda :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.