slightly sore knees

nik13

Cathlete
Hi

I have been working out with cathes tapes for a couple months, and in the last 2 weeks have been experiencing slightly sore knees. I went from the ctx series to circuit max, interval max and cardio kicks. What should I do. I took a couple days off. Do you think it could be my shoes? Or my weight, I am 65lbs overweight? They are walking shoes. I am going tonight to get a new pair. I was just starting to get some results. I hope I can continue with these workouts.

Any suggestions would be great!!
NIkki

aerobic shoes

I can't say for sure what the problem is, but you mentioned your getting new shoes. Make sure they are aerobic shoes and you just don't replace them with walking shoes. There is a difference. You need a shoe with good lateral support. They need to be able to take impact. That would be the first step. If you still have problems after resting and replacing your shoes, you'll need to lower your impact at least a few days a week, if not all of them. Let your body be your guide.
Dawn W

Hi Nikki!

I definitely think it could be your shoes. Is is VERY important that you have shoes that match your workout, such as jogging shoes for jogging, aerobic or crosstrainers for aerobics and step. Your walking shoes would be designed just for a heel-toe motion going forward & you need a design to meet your needs of impact, going side to side(lateral movement),pivots and so forth. Hope I caught you before you headed out to the store. Talk to the sale person and hopefully they can direct you in the right direction for what is appropriate for you!! Good Luck! I LOVE to get new shoes!! I'm a shoe addict!:D Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Ooops Dawn!

Sorry, I posted the same info at the same time as you. Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)

Hi Debbie, Happens to me all the time

And besides it just proves how true this is. Not to mention you gave a more detailed explaination then I did anyway.
Dawn W

Thanks,

I wasn't able to go get the today. I 'm glad I didn't, because I just read your posts. I will defintely get aerobic shoes tommorrow.

Thanks again,
Nikki

Nikki,

My knees used to bother me some when I first started working out. As I became stronger, they bothered me less and less. If I don't pay close attention to my form they'll still act up on occasion. Try concentrating on staying back on your heels a little more when doing knee lifts, squats, plyos, etc. If your knees are only slightly sore staying back on your heels will take the pressure off your knees.

Hope this helps!
Lindy

Besides the shoes, which are a must, consider adding in the shock absorption inserts. If you work out on an unyielding surface, like hardwood or concrete under the carpet, that is really hard on your knees because the shock goes straight back up your leg.
RE your weight: even though I am only a size 9/10 at 5'3" I currently weigh 170 lbs. I am working to take off 20 of that at the moment. I am pretty dense. That puts tons of stress on my knees and ankles.
When I work out hard I often get sore knees and ankles, and find that I have to tone down the intensity. Watch your double footed jumps, and concentrate on form. Come down light on your feet and try to concentrate on power in your thighs, hams, and butt. Use your knees as springs instead of shock absorbers. (For example, on lunges, pretend the floor is glass: tap down your toes and keep all your weight in the leg that is on the step, instead of coming down hard on the floor foot.)
You can get just as good a workout if you go medium impact and really incorporate power in the arms and legs (one foot always on the ground) Keep up the great work!

Dear Nikki

I would suggest that you modify your workout. I have this problem as well. When the video calls for lots of hopping on one leg, I do an alternate move that doesn't cause stress to my knees and shins. I try to keep one foot on the floor at all times, even in the high impact portions. I still find that I break a good sweat, get my heart rate up, and feel worked out afterwards.

I think of it this way, when Cathe and skinney women like her move, they only have about 120 lbs to move. It takes more work for me to move, at 190 lbs. That jumping puts an unrealistic amount of stress on your knee joint. If you do not take care of your knees now, you will regret it when you are older.

If it hurts, either modify it or don't do it!

Susan

Hi Nikki,

I wanted to pass along to you that I got new shoes this weekend and they made such a difference. I use to have plantar faciitis and my heel has been twinging lately but with my new shoes the slight pain was 100% gone. Our joints/feet take so much impact when we work out that it is important to have good shoes. Susan has a good point about modifying. I like you am overweight and I ALWAYS take the hops jumps out to make cathe low impact. After a while it is easy to learn to modify cathe's stuff but it is just as fun and she is so motivating.

Thanks everyone for you posts.
I bought new shoes this weekend and started x-press tapes again, because I didn't experience sore knees with these tapes. After I do those I will bring in other tapes.

Thanks again.
I will let you know how it goes.
Nikki

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.