Skincare recommendations?

AKirkland

Cathlete
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-02 AT 07:11PM (Est)[/font][p]Whoops! Sorry! Meant to post this in the Open Forum!

I'm really struggling to find a skincare regimen that works for me. I usually have "combination" skin, but in the winter time, it gets very dry and tight, although it still seems to generate oil in the t-zone underneath the dry flaky layer on top. At 36 years of age, I'm starting to see the "fine lines" and would like to find something to prevent premature aging. I don't breakout much anymore except around TTOTM.

Ideally, I'd like to find a natural skincare line, but have just about given up on that. Has anyone found products they'd like to recommend?

Thanks!

Angela

Hi Angela,

I am surely not an expert on this.. but I am your age with combination skin too .. and i find that if i use a gentle cleanser it helps with winter dryness. Also .. the most important thing is to use a daily /morning moisturizer with at least a SPF 15 in it. I have read that we can't undo past damage *which i have from baking on the roof of the house during summer when i was young* but we can certainly prevent further damage with a sunscreen. Anyway.. my cleanser of choice is Cetaphil.. its gentle but gets off makeup, etc. My night moisturizer is Olay total effects, and my morning /daily moisturizer is Neutrogena Daily moisturizer with SPF 30.. its cheap but it works for me.. hope this helps .. you can find all these at Walmart and almost anywhere and they are cheaper than beauti control, clinique, and philosophy which are all alot more expensive and gave me the same results!

Candy

Don't know if you want to go this route, but the serious products work. Retin A at night and then MDFORTE has a Glycolic Acid mosturizer which comes in 3 strengths, 1 is 10%, 2 is 20% and 3 is 30%. You cannot get these strengths over the counter. I recommended the MDForte to a girl last year and she went straight to #3 which made her peel a bit at first then she was delighted with the results. I would think anyone new to this product should start off with #1. I also use a product called Neova which is a Copper Peptide product, I believe they used to, or still do, use this product on burn patients to heal them more quickly. These products are a little pricey, but they work. I have never found anything over the counter that works. I get my products from an aesthetician who works in a plastic surgeons office, but I do believe that if you do a search you can order off the web except the Retin A which you have to have a prescription for. Also there is a product called WELLSKIN which is a GREAT moisturizing cream No one is more vain than me, I've tried just about everything.

I have tried every single cleansing product on the market. And for my same skin (combo w/ tight flaky feeling during winter), I have always gone back to Cetaphil cleanser. It's about 8 bucks and is the absolute best and most recommended by every magazine I've read. It takes off eye makeup as well. For moisturizer, I agree with Neutrogena's line for daytime as well as Lancome's Bienfait with SPF of 15.

If you would like another route, Aveda claims they are "all natural". Theyre "all sensitive" line is really good. I think I use them for the smell than anything else(smells clean and very spiritual.....if that makes sense).

HTH
GN

Have you tried Paula's Choice Products? At cosmeticscop.com

I like a lot of her products and they seem to work well. And they are not to pricey either. Right now since it's winter my skin is on the drier side so I am using her recovery cleanser, normal/dry toner, I alterante using her AHA, and her BHA's in 1 and 2 percent lotion, And I use her skin recovery moisturizer. I use these products at night. In the morning I clean my face with cetaphil and then I use Paula's SPF 15 face lotion for normal to dry skin. Then I apply whatever makeup I choose. Good luck.

I have had trouble with my complexion for years. Used to be oily and would breakout a lot. Now that I'm in my 30s, it is drier, breaks out only at certain times of the month or during stressful times, and I'm beginning to get fine lines and wrinkles. I've had great results with Home Shopping's Serious Skin Care line. Started 6 or 7 years ago and it cleared up my skin. The Glycolic Cleanser is great, so is the Buff Polish and Phyto Pumpkin Scrub to name a few favorites. I recently starting using the A-force serum with retinol to target my fine lines. My skin has never been smoother.

In an attempt to save money, I started buying my AHA and BHA treatments (to keep my skin clear) from Paula Begoun - the Cosmetics Cop. Check out cosmeticscop.com. She has a moisturizing 2% salicylic acid product that would probably work well on your skin. She has a lot of great products, great advice, and even reviews other brands. The prices of her products are very reasonable and they work great.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents since I have struggled with skin problems and I wanted to share my success.

Good luck,
Melissa

Hi Angela,
I am a real make-up/skincare product junkie. I'm 38, and I have combination, more dry skin. I was starting to worry about those little lines and wrinkles, and also wanted to avoid the premature aging. I tried the new Avon Anew Ultimate. It is wonderful. My skin was looking a little dull, and this has helped quite a bit. I also starting using the Anew Retroactive. I believe if I skip a day or two I can see a difference. The only draw back is the price. I think it's a little pricey.
Dawn

Hi Angela,

I have combo skin too and love Kiehl's products for my daily routine - www.kiehls.com. They use mostly natural ingredients and will provide samples. I use the oil-free product for day and the ultra moisturizing at night.

~~ Sharon ~~

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-02 AT 11:49PM (Est)[/font][p]I've also tried MANY different types of skincare products (I have normal/combo skin), and I've actually found that Victoria Principal's and Mario Badescu's skincare lines works great, with some additions. I'm 36, and have been continually told I look like I'm in my early to mid-20's (and believe me, I used to look older than my age before).

I also use Cellex-C Advanced skincare serum with the hydra 5B complex. So my skincare regimen would look something like this:

Cleansing: Victoria Principal's Advanced Gentle 4-in-1 Deep Cleanser OR Mario Badescu's Orange Cleansing Soap with DHC's (another product line I love) Balancing Lotion (toner)

Then, I'll use the Cellex-C and Hydra 5B

After that, I use Lancome's Renergie Lift Contour (for lifting purposes ;) )

Then, I use Victoria Principal's Advanced Moisturizer and - this is one product I CAN'T live without. It works like magic for me. Afterward, I use VP's eyesaver gel. Then, I generally use Lancome's or VP's foundation and Cover Girl's compact powder (for some reason, I've found this works best for me). And the rest is usually just Lancome or Clinique.

At night, I've found that Reviva Labs Alpha Lipoic acid, Vitamin C Ester and DMAE cream (Dr. Perricone's Prescription, although I haven't ordered his products, but have taken some of the supplements and used the creams he recommends, but by different companies) has really tightened and firmed my facial skin and has eliminated any blotchiness - my pores look non-existant now. The whole regimen doesn't actually take that much time but I've found that my skin now looks like it did when I was a teenager, except it's not oily and I don't break out. I certainly didn't have good skin before this -- wrinkles starting, blotchiness, breakouts, uneven skintone, bumps, flakiness, not good skin AT ALL.

I guess everyone has a different regimen that works well for them, but this seems to have really changed my skin completely. (sorry this was so long!).

Wow, Kristine - that's impressive results. I looked at Victoria Principal's Web site and even requested a catalog. I was a little put off by the fact that it looks like you have to make an ongoing obligation to automatically order every three months. I use products sparingly and I don't like the idea of being forced to purchase. What's your take on this?

Thanks,

Angela

I too recommend Paula's Choice (www.cosmeticscop.com) products. They are reasonably priced, work well, and contain no colors or fragrances. Her website is full of lots of good information about skin and hair care.

emily

I use the Victoria Principal secret line too and I love it! I have combination skin that is very very sensitive. Her moisturizer makes the oily parts not oily and the dry parts are hydrated all day. I've called a couple of times and changed how often I want to recieve the package, and also have changed the contents of the package. Their customer service is great. I think they give you an option not to have the package sent regularly, but you can just call in when you want more.

Best,
Liz

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-17-02 AT 09:31PM (Est)[/font][p]Sorry ! My machine was slow and I hit the button too many times!

I use the Victoria Principal secret line too and I love it! I have combination skin that is very very sensitive. Her moisturizer makes the oily parts not oily and the dry parts are hydrated all day. I've called a couple of times and changed how often I want to recieve the package, and also have changed the contents of the package. Their customer service is great. I think they give you an option not to have the package sent regularly, but you can just call in when you want more.

Best,
Liz

Hi Angela,

visit: http://www.makeupalley.com

This website contains various messageboards on topics such as skincare, makeup, fragrance, and bath & body. They have a wonderful review section titled "Productville" This is a no holds barred review section and the number of products that have been review are vast. If I want to purchase a product, I always go to Productville first to see whether others have seen good results from it.

the following products are pretty popular:

Paula's Choice AHA and/or BHA lotions
Avon Retroactive and Ultimate creams
Skinbiology CP Serum (CP=copper peptide)
Complex 15 lotion
Neutrogena On the Spot Treatment
Milk of Magnesia (worn as a mask to absorb oil)

hope that helps!
K

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-02 AT 00:57AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi, Angela. Like Liz, I also customize my orders so I don't have to order all of the products at the specified times. They also have a customer product price vs. regular price, if you just want to purchase 1 or 2 items at a time. I've set up a customized skincare automatic shipment every 3-6 months, with 3 products of my choice (whichever products I find I need at the time, I can always change them if I want to). I agree with Liz that their customer service is great, and they will work with you to allow you to choose which products you want to purchase, rather than 'having' to choose what their product line consists of.

They do have several different skincare lines, but I've found the Advanced Skincare system works best (for me, at least), and now she even has a new makeup line with foundation, eyeshadow, eyeliner, lipstick, etc. etc. and I'm thinking of trying those out.

I have to say, I wasn't totally blown away at first after trying her products, but after a couple of weeks, I was able to see the way the products worked for me and was REALLY, really happy with the results. I especially like the (Advanced line) moisturizer, gentle enzyme treatment, eyesaver gel, cleanser and moisture tint (foundation). I have yet to try all of her product line, but I really do recommend the ones I have tried highly.

I hope this helps!!

I discovered Avon's Retroactive by accident but it's the best product I've ever used. After 2 weeks morning & night, my skin looked better than it did 20 years ago. It still does! When I ran out once, I could seriously see a difference.

Well here's one no one has posted yet. To lift and shrink your skin for a day, put Preparation H all over your face!

No, I haven't tried it (yet), but my hairdresser told me it works! Just temporarily, like a temporary face lift.

Excellent website for you

Go to http://www.dermadoctor.com

You can order products that you can't find on the market, but only through a dermatologist (like the Neova and MDForte someone else mentioned), and there are numerous "newsletters" published on the website that go into detail about every possible imaginable skin condition or complaint. Dermadoctor has one of the all-time best customer service departments I've ever come across. I once returned 5 USED skin care items to them for a full refund, and then received a personal e-mail asking for more detail about my skin care.

I'm 39 and have pretty good skin, but was starting to see some blotchiness and overall blahness. I use the MDForte products at night and Kinerase with additional sunscreen in the a.m. I'm really happy with the results, and I feel like I'm well-informed because of the information on the Dermadoctor website.

Good luck!

-Claire

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.