Skeptical about what Abs Diet is telling me...

HELLO ALL!
I've been laying low lately due to my (almost!) completion of P90X but I needed to pose a question... I've also been following the Abs Diet (online version) for about 4-5 weeks now and I really enjoy it..the variation of food choices is what got me to actually try it. Anyway, out of the blue this week they dropped my daily caloric intake to between 1200 - 1300 cals / day. I almost passed out when I saw this! They originally set me at approx. 1450 - 1500 cals which I adjusted to kind of easily (which I was shocked about!). But this latest dip seems unhealthy to me.... am I right? I've been slowly dropping pounds with their program but it seems like they're unhappy with my progress }( Like I mentioned, I'm towards the end of P90X plus I'm still adding in Cathe's cardio so I'm working out pretty much 7 days a week at a pretty intense level. I'm just not convinced I'm going to get what I need to push on through. Any suggestions? Maybe I'm wrong - I just need to hear it from someone else :p Thanks!!

Well, part of the calories dropping is due that you weigh less. You don't need the higher intake right now since you're still looking to lose weight.

The calorie range can be iffy depending on your height and workouts. When I dropped my calories to the 1200 range it was when I saw the biggest changes in the mirror, not necessarily the scale. Also, if you are eating very healthy then there is a big difference between eating 1200 calories that comprise let's say 20-30 % junk verses eating 1200 almost 90-95% healthy.

My bodyfat dropped and I was getting the lean look I wanted. At that time I was running,working out to Cathe and heavy strength training. I survived! I really didn't see changes when I was told I needed to eat more. There is a fine line that goes both ways, but you have to experiment and find that range.

If it's not enough, one those days just add slightly more like about 100 calories.

Namita

You have to do what works for you.

I would say it depends on what your goal is. There is a big difference between wanting to loose body fat and wanting to gain muscle mass. If you want to loose weight you have to be "negative in calories". However if you want to gain lean body mass then you need to be "positive in calories". Your body cant gain anything if it doesn't have enough calories.

and I would say if you are working out that much, your body is going to need a lot of fuel. But like the previous poster said, there is a difference in calories, so make sure they are healthy...

Just my opinion...

Mindy

Does the program factor in the amount you're exercising or is it just based on weight? I always thought 1500 was adequate for a moderately active woman trying to lose weight, but if you're doing all that work, it seems like you'd need even more. I don't have any credentials to back it up, but it seems low to me. I know I'd be shocked and unhappy. I guess I'd just be hesitant to drop below a level I couldn't see myself maintaining indefinitely.

I know a sometimes a diet will drop your calories for a short term and then return you to normal. This can help bust throw plateaus in weight loss.

But as the other say, you have to do what your body wants. Give it a try and if you find you can't handle that low cal count, add in a few calories

Shelby

Yes, I realize that as I lose weight my caloric needs will go down but after all I've learned about good calories and keeping fueled, this just surprised me. I have always calculated my needs using the Harris-Benedict formula (which has always worked well - thanks Fitness Freak!). So, we'll see. I'm going to give it a shot but there's somedays where I'll do cardio in the afternoon then my P90X weight workout at night so I'm just nervous that I'm going to get burnt out. Thanks everyone!!

I would be careful going that low w/ doing P90X workouts. But maybe they are just having you lower it for a few days and then add in more cals?? See how you feel, but I wouldn't go much lower than 1,500 for your workouts! HTH!

Oh, and yeah for almost being done w/ P90X! Great job!

Hi,

I know that when I drop my calories that low I have no energy to workout. For me it is more about the composition of what I eat and not the total number of calories; they are not all equal for me. There was an interesting article in Oxegen this month that talked about taking in too few calories, doing a considerable amount of cardio, and ending up being skinny fat. I know I was skinny fat for years. Not until I got serious with what/how much I was eating did I develop the lean muscle mass that I wanted.

Tracy

I think it depends on your height and current weight. If you are petite and don't have much to lose (if any) then 1200 may be the right number for you. You can also try 1200 on days you don't workout and then give yourself more calories on your heavier workout days.

Do you know what your BMR is? I woudn't go below that. You can google on BMR calculator or Base Metabolic Rate calculator. I'm 5'9" and close to 150 so my BMR is around 1450. Dropping to 1200 would be too low for me. But I was comfortably eating around that level for the last few months and doing p90x weights with running.

I really liked The Abs Diet for Women (the book) and felt it was loaded with useful info. I'm not familiar with the online program but I wonder if, when you signed up for it, did they ask what kind of workouts you do? I mean, if you're doing P90X you NEED calories or, as another poster mentioned, you won't have energy enough to do the workouts properly.

I wonder about all this myself. I'm trying to get my diet under control while doing Cardio Coach 3-4 days a week, alternated with intense upper body/ab work. I'm not sure what I should be doing, calorie-wise. I never keep track of my calories and it's starting to become obvious I need to, at least for awhile. Even eating perfectly, I know I can't get by on 1200-1300 calories a day.

Hi Tammi--I can't say whether the online deal is right or wrong, but I can say I was not crazy about the abs diet. I loved the foods, but it simply was not an effective weight loss diet. I did it for 8 weeks & didn't lose a pound. So I think you're right to be skeptical. It's a healthy diet & the food is delicious, but IMO it's not the right diet for weight loss.

That said, at this point I don't know what is! I have 10 lbs I'd like to lose but I'm starting to believe I'm stuck w/them for life, unless I do some really drastic zero carb diet, & the idea just makes me cringe. x(

I use what turns out to be the Harris-Benedict formula (my calculation was a little simpler - since I consider myself moderately active, I multiplied my weight times 15 to come up with a figure very close to the HB method). Even with allowing one cheat day per week, this still works out well. I DO count the cheat calories, however. My non-cheat days calories are 1365, and my cheat calories are 5340 - sounds like a lot, but it's real easy to gobble up 5000+ calories!

Hey Jess! Thanks so much - it has been a blast. What to do when I'm all done??!! Yeah, I think I'm going to do my best but I may add in a few calories here and there. I don't feel comfortable going that low either.

>My non-cheat days calories are 1365, and my cheat calories are 5340 - sounds
>like a lot, but it's real easy to gobble up 5000+ calories!

Yes. It is. If I have that take-out lasagna I love and miss, on top of all the other stuff... oh yea, very easy.

Dang, Laura, I just looked at your album.... where in the heck would those 10 lbs come from?! You look terrific! You're not "stuck", you're done.

I just remember back when I was in my 20's, weighed 115, and thought I was fat x( At 5'4", that was very thin. Now I want to be 125-130, but with muscle! }(

Aw thanks, that's really sweet, but those pics are about a year & 10 lbs ago. :) That's why I'm so frustrated--I just don't get why I can't get back down to the weight I was in those pics, where I've been pretty much most of my life. I hate my jiggle! x(

Laura - you're gooorrggeeouuss just the way you are:) Yeah, in total I've only lost about 5 lbs with the Abs Diet in the past few weeks but it gave me some new ideas so that's always a plus. As far as the drop in calories, last night I was ssttarrrvvinnng, especially after the P90X Chest Shoulders and Tris workout I did so guess what?! My hunny baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies and I kid you not, I ate almost the whole batch. Hahahahaha! Live and learn - I'm going to definitely increase my calories to above 1300 from now on. Thanks everyone! As usual, you've encouraged me to do the smart thing :7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.