Since when do we not require our change??

exer_cited

Cathlete
Had a rather frustrating experience at my local coffee shop drive up window today and now I'm all balled up...

Pulled up to the window, paid for my coffee, then sat there for a few minutes waiting for my change. Girl opens window, asks me what I need, I say "my change". She looks at the girl next to her and rolls her eyes. Tries to open the cash register, but couldn't. She she takes a dime out of the tip cup and hands it to me with a smirk. I say "my change is 35 cents." She sighs loudly. Reaches back in the cup and hands me a quarter and says "Have a nice day!!".

So yes, my change was only 35 cents, but it's the point.

Please enlighten me: since when do we not require our change back??

It's bad enough that there is now a tip jar/cup at just about every joint that requires a cash register. Which I guess as long as you choose whether or not to put your change in that jar/cup, that's fine. But when they don't even offer you your change and then give you attitude because you want your change, that's just mind-blowing to me.

I'm totally irked....:mad:

Very rude. I think you should call and complain. Of course they want tips (which I'm happy to do for good service), but they can't STEAL them!!! Crazy! It would be like customers taking their tip money out of the tip jar. It's just wrong.

I was in a restaurant recently that had a tip jar for the cashier!!! Seriously. This was a sit-down restaurant. We left our tip on the table, went to pay at the register, and there was a jar with a sign asking for tips for the cashier. Huh? I had just tipped my server 20% and then I'm supposed to tip someone who ran my debit card? Enough!

As a stay-at-home mom, I collect my tips at the washing machine. My husband saw me swipe money from his pockets the other day before I put his pants in the washer. I promptly put some in my laundry "tip jar" and some in my kids' piggy banks. He said, "Hey! THat's mine!" I said I consider it my tip! I guess I"m no better than the coffee shop girl! LOL :p

But I totally agree with you... though I'm a huge hypocrite. I dislike presumptuous people. :)

Woah! That was ballsy. Maybe you need your 35 cents for the toll on the way to work, or Jr's lunch money tomorrow. Or maybe you just want your freakin' money back. I generally don't leave money in tip jars, I see no need to tip the cashier. The one that gets me is the waiter who asks "do you need change" Since you asked - yes, I do. I much prefer "I'll be back with your change" Don't assume how much I'm going to tip you, and by doing that you just cost yourself a buck or two.

Nan

Don't assume how much I'm going to tip you, and by doing that you just cost yourself a buck or two. Nan

That's exactly the issue I have, the ASSUMPTION that I don't want/need my change back.

It wasn't the 35 cents and whether or not I needed it back....IT'S MY MONEY!!! You (meaning the coffee-chick) are getting paid by the company to make and hand me my coffee. Why should you assume that I should also leave you MY change?!?!

Totally frustrating!! I did send a rather spicy email to the company, BTW.

Oh, and Stephanie, collecting your tips at the washing machine is totally acceptable regardless of whether they appeared at the bottom of the machine or you had to fish them out of DH's pockets!! :D

That is really rude not giving you the change and then rolling her eyes no less! Glad you sent the email. That would definitely get me going too. Tips at the washing machine are mine. I check pockets, pick up change off the floor (anywhere in the house) and in the office. I took it to one of those coin machines in the supermarket and got $135! The woman in line behind me couldn't believe it and was going home to do the same. I bought food and spent the rest on myself. I am the only person interested in the change and they kid me about me about it but no longer.

Boy that would make me mad and I would have done the same thing and it has nothing to do with the .35 cents but nerve of that girl to think it was her automatically...UNBELIEVABLE :mad:

Stephane, :D I do the exact same thing....money found in the laundry basket, washer or dryer...change or bills are exactly what I call it a tip for doing the laundry :p... It goes in the "family jar" for vacation.

Therese

in today's job market that is the kind of thing that will work you right on out of a job!! i know sometimes ppl have a bad day but you should treat each customer nicely and do your job correctly. you are not entitled to tips you earn them. obviously she wasn't making much so maybe she should check her attitude and that could help her out. roll your eyes at me i will roll your damn head on the floor.

btw she made you coffee?just coffe? i remember going to mcD's one day and they were short staffed and managed to get my order correct and cooked fresh with a smile. why don't they get a tip!? they aren't allowed to accept any but i sure as hell would have for that over a person just handing me coffee and a muffin.

what ever happen to earning your way? srsly.

and to moms its part of your pay LOL. i do it all the time if i have to do the job i have asked them to do 20 times i should get paid for it LOL. i do your wash fold and put away but you can't empty your pockets out for me then finders keepers buddies :p

kassia

Oh, and Stephanie, collecting your tips at the washing machine is totally acceptable regardless of whether they appeared at the bottom of the machine or you had to fish them out of DH's pockets!! :D

I agree....although I haven't gotten any since the week I raked in $40! :( Guess they figured it out!!!;)

I don't mind paying a tip to someone who has to actually do something extra for me. Gee, if I go to Starbucks and order a special drink with all kinds of changes, then, sure I don't mind giving a tip, but leaving a tip for someone who is doing EXACTLY what they get paid for is ridiculous! A cashier???? Give me a break!

That's ridiculous, and I'd be ticked off at the attitude as well.

So many people these days seem to feel some sort of entitlement: they are deserving of something without earning it.

A student once wrote a letter to the editor in our school paper, claiming that if people couldn't afford to pay a 25% tip (!!), they shouldn't go out to eat. Since when was 25% standard tipping?

25%!!!??? How ridiculous!

I have a problem with the way restaurants pay their workers to begin with! I don't understand why they refuse to pay them a regular minimum wage like every other job and not put any minimums on tips. That way, the customer REALLY gets to decide whether the service they got was worthy of that 20% or not!

I do feel for food service workers (waiters/waitresses) because of the way they are paid, so I do feel obligated to give them at least 20%, unless they're truly horrible!

Based on the assumptions customer service people have these days about requiring tipping for the basic job they are paid for, then I deserve tips for typing my attorneys' documents on a daily basis! Hmmm, maybe I should put a jar on my desk and see what happens . . . .

That's ridiculous, and I'd be ticked off at the attitude as well.

So many people these days seem to feel some sort of entitlement: they are deserving of something without earning it.

A student once wrote a letter to the editor in our school paper, claiming that if people couldn't afford to pay a 25% tip (!!), they shouldn't go out to eat. Since when was 25% standard tipping?

Listen, I agree with what everyone says, but I also want to add, what the heck's up with a drive through window for a freakin' cup of coffee?

25%!!!??? How ridiculous!

I have a problem with the way restaurants pay their workers to begin with! I don't understand why they refuse to pay them a regular minimum wage like every other job and not put any minimums on tips. That way, the customer REALLY gets to decide whether the service they got was worthy of that 20% or not!

I do feel for food service workers (waiters/waitresses) because of the way they are paid, so I do feel obligated to give them at least 20%, unless they're truly horrible!

Based on the assumptions customer service people have these days about requiring tipping for the basic job they are paid for, then I deserve tips for typing my attorneys' documents on a daily basis! Hmmm, maybe I should put a jar on my desk and see what happens . . . .

Ditto! Ditto! Ditto! I couldn't have said it better and I live in a town with some of the most famous restaurants in the world. My husband is in the hotel industry so sometimes we get a free gift certificate to eat at a nice restaurant that I would normally never eat at. I just can't justify no matter how good the food is spending $250 for the two of us to eat only to know that I'm just going to poop the stuff out. The other day we went to a restaurant and the server was a class act jerk. Was all huffy that we used a gift certificate to pay for the meal including tip. I know one of the guys who works at a really fancy restaurant and he always complains when people don't tip 25%! The restaurant he works at charges $275 per person! Like that isn't enough already. I have sympathy heck all my friends in college were servers who taught me to tip well, . . heck to me well is double the tax and nothing more. Heck no one tips me for being a good mom or wife but I like the idea of walking around with a tip jar tied around my neck.

The waiter probably didn't get the tip when you used that gift certificate - the waiter almost always gets screwed over when people don't actually pay for their meal.

I am usually a pretty big tipper. I always tip 20%, but most of the time more. That said, the "presumption" of the person who kept your 35 cents was wrong. It's one thing to make the decision yourself to give up your 35 cents, but she was completely out of line assuming that you didn't want your money back.

I have found that this sometimes happens to me at places where the total is say $1.73, and I give them $1.75. They will many times just neglect to give me back the 2 cents. For a long time I let it go. I mean, it is just 2 cents. But then I started thinking about it and decided it's MY 2 cents, not theirs. So, I now ask for it back. It's only right. It's just bad form to take someone's money, whether it's 2 cents, or 2 dollars.

The waiter probably didn't get the tip when you used that gift certificate - the waiter almost always gets screwed over when people don't actually pay for their meal.

You could be right about that. I know that many places will not allow you to get cash back if you don't spend the whole certificate. Therefore, they probably don't give the waiter the difference in cash that you intended for his tip.

I think the best thing to do in a gift certificate case is pay the tip out of your pocket to make sure the waiter gets the money.

I only found a dime in my washing machine today. I would have been pretty peeved if I had to ask for my change back. I usually leave a tip once a week at the coffee shop I go to. It is not much just a buck or two.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.