Simply cannot do squat thrusts (Burpees)

eaglobo

Cathlete
The only way I can do this exercise is to place my hands on a high step. Without the step, I simply cannot place my hands to the ground without losing form, this despite tightening my core. My core is probably in better shape than it has ever been, and I still can't do them, I am starting to wonder if this could be in any way due to the spinal stenosis I have or the arthritis in my lower back from years of bad body mechanics...If I have to modify these that much, I'm probably going to have to make this a "red light" exercise...regular squats I can do just fine.

Does anyone else have a problem with squat thrusts like the one I just mentioned??

I can't do them comfortably either, and I don't have any spinal stenosis or other back issues. I'm not exactly sure what my problem is. Oh well. At least Cathe doesn't do them too often!

By the time I do one, and literally pull myself back up into proper alignment, Cathe is on to the next exercise. It's simply not worth fighting with myself to do these, and I'm probably doing more harm than good by trying to force these, so I'll be passing on those.

Jerry - I'm kinda with you. I can do them but not many before my lower back begins to bother me.

I injured it badly about 10 yrs ago and it gets weak if I over use it when squatting down to pull weeds (for example) or sit for too long. Then I have to baby it. Right now I could hardly hold a superman for long if I tried.

Have skipped my lower back exercises lately as I have been working around the house and it is just too sore. For me though, if I can get it back to normal (for me) then I can strengthen it once it isn't so sore. And then I can do burpees, but a little slower than Cathe's.

But ya gotta do what ya gotta do and modifications is what is all about, huh? :p

I find them unpleasant to do 'as-is,' so I usually do them with my hands on the step (not the High Step, but the regular step set at 6 or 8 inches).

I can do them, but they suck the big one. I broke my kneecap doing the ones in Drill Max. OwOwOw!!!! I do still do them, on occasion, when the workout calls for it, but I slow them down a bit and don't use so much OOMPH!!! My knee's fixed and I don't care to revisit that situation as it brought to light a whole gaggle of other knee issues. Def NOT a favorite

Nan

Hey Jerry -- I don't like them at all, so I usually substitute something more "friendly" for me (something cardio -- there's lots to pick from!). At least I'm doing something!!!

See ya in about two weeks!!

Julie

I sub a 'running' knee in movement (one leg at a time) and don't pop up until the set is over... and I also sub on a step, bench or high step if I'm just not up to it. I figure I can skip a few things here and there - Cathe's not going to tell... ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. I never do them on principle. I loath and detest them. And I see no reason to do them since there are plenty of other exercises in the world to do, some of which produce the same results. So, choose one of those and don't give it another thought. Certainly, don't do anything that might threaten your back.

Clare

I only do them sometimes and even then, I am like you...I have to use the step. I have never even tried just putting my hands on the floor. I don't see the point if I can do them with the step.

Kim

Oh please, with my lower back problems??:eek: I am with you Jerry, don't sweat it, alot of us simply will not or cannot do things like squat thrusts or tuck jumps, they are simply unsafe and not worth it!

Jerry,

Have you spoken to your Physiotherapist / doctor about yoga therapy for your back?

I have seen amazing results in people with all kinds of back issues including remarkable improvement for people whose mobilty was impaired - especially at the Iyengar Institute/with the Iyengar school of yoga in India. (BKS Iyengar is based in India). But you have to go to someone who knows what he/she is doing because certain yoga poses are contra-indicated and certain yoga poses are super-beneficial. Viniyoga school also had back-therapy-yoga.

The way it works here is that you have to go for live classes a few times to learn the routine that is customized for you, and then you can practise it on your own.

~* Vrinda *~

I love doing squat thrusts and their variations. I remember the first time I saw the dreaded blast #5 in Boot Camp, with the squat thrusts AND the "climbers" AND the vertical jumps (gee, THANKS, CATH, FOR THE JUMPS!!!!!), and I never, ever thought I could do it. BUT - lo these many years later, they are, for me at least, an upper-margin cardio drill rather than a killer, one of the few that don't recruit the legs only.

A-Jock

I also have a problem with Burpees. (We also called them squat thrusts in gym class 35 years ago!)

I usually either put my hands on the high step like you described, or I don't come all the way up to standing.... doing them kind of like the mountain climbers in 30 Day Shred.

I have always figured my problem came from being so long legged. I have a lot of leg to throw out behind me, crunch up under me and then stand up. It's more than I can do quickly.

I'm not a fan of Burpees at all nope I don't like em one bit .

Actually I irritated my sore shoulder a few days ago when I was doing them w/ 4DS BC and trying to keep up the pace with Cathe and crew.

So after my shoulder whispered to me instead I did jumping jacks and sprinkled in some plyo too. I followed up with more controlled push ups afterwards.

You all know how to make a guy feel so much better!! Glad to know that I'm not alone. I hate not being able to do something that I think I should be able to do, and it does take a good many failures to make me realize that it's just not going to happen, and I'm finally at that point with this exercise.

A-Jock - If you want another evil variation, try a "Chirpee". A burpee into a chin up/pull up (jumping or non-jumping). }( }(

>I sub a 'running' knee in movement (one leg at a time) and
>don't pop up until the set is over...

I like that idea!

>I wouldn't worry about it. I never do them on principle. I
>loath and detest them. And I see no reason to do them since
>there are plenty of other exercises in the world to do, some
>of which produce the same results.

Yay!
ITA!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.