Should I get Squat Rack dvd?

MelanieC

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

I just completed STS for the first time, but I don't have the Squat Rack dvd - I just did the Plyometrics during the last phase.

I'm thinking of getting the squat rack dvd because of the sale this month - can anyone tell me what they think of this dvd? Anyone out there who has done both the squat rack dvd and the plyometrics? Are the results different, and how?

Just wondering if its worth it. I've spent so much this year on workouts, so I really need to make sure this is a must have dvd.

Thanks!

I got this dvd after I had STS for a while and just before I began Meso 3. When I got it...I thought that it was something that I would be able to use with my STS tower as a squat rack...what I did not understand was that to get the full benefit of this dvd, you really do need a squat rack and the STS tower will not cut it...Now maybe the tower will work if you are 5'2", but I am 5'9".

The reason it is more beneficial to have a squat rack is so that you can squat heavier weights and not have to lift the weight up over your head. See, I could lift heavier squat weight, but the problem was I did not have enough upper body strength to get that weight over my head. Now, if you don't mind being limited in the weight you can squat to be whatever you can lift over your head...or if you have a squat rack...then I say get it because it really is an excellent dvd...and I am glad I got it...notwithstanding the aforementioned issues.....

Is that confusing enough for you? :confused::D

Don't have any comment on the DVDs themselves..I own them but haven't used them yet and plan to do plyo legs for now. But, I would second the idea that you need real squat rack...one that has a safety catch/rest where you can set the barbell on at the bottom in case you accidentally go too heavy. I went too heavy at the gym once and got stuck at the bottom off the squat...I had to crouch and try to tip the barbell to the ground to save myself and tweaked my back in the process. I must have been careless and wandered out of the rack because it must have had a safety at the bottom..(??) At any rate, you'll definitely want to play it safe exercising at home. In order to go light enough to be safe without the rack, you probably wouldn't get the full benefit of the DVDs which I think instruct you to increase your weight by 5% each week.

Thanks so much for your informative comments - I really appreciate the tips about the squat rack (which I don't have). Good to know!!

You could also use a weight vest in addition to whatever barbell weight you can lift safely over your head. I am planning to try this in a few wks since I just happened upon a 12 lb Cathe weighted vest at my local Marshalls. Nice find at 19.99!

what about dumbbells and a vest instead of barbell for squats

I have the tower, so if that isn't stable I probably can't buy a squat rack.I have held off on buying a barbell for this reason and use dumbbells for all of the barbell exercises in STS.
Does anyone use a weighted vest with dumbbells for squats? My dumbbells go up to 50 lb and I have a 40 lb vest, but haven't purchased the squat dvds yet in case that would be no good to use instead of the barbell. Any thoughts?

I use both Squat Rack and Plyo Legs. Cathe simply uses a barbell and weight vest in SR Legs. That's what I also use.

Inkskin-Yes, db's and a weight vest would probably work fine, but for me holding heavy db's tires my arms sooner than my legs. I would recommend getting a barbell, even if you don't have a squat rack.

Diana

YES YES

About 2 months ago I was asking the same question, and I went ahead and got the SQUAT RACK DVDs. I don't have a rack, but I do use the weighted vest with my dumbbells, and these are now my favorite workout days in the entire STS series. I DEFINITELY see increased muscle growth in my legs after these workouts, and wooo...quite an endorphin rush!

I have to say the squat rack dvds stand right up there as some of my favorite in the whole STS series, and definitely produced more strong gains than possibly anything else in the series I've done. But you do need a squat rack. I have a squat rack and a 20 lb vest and I use them together. I love Plyo legs for more of a metabolic resistance type of option, but if I had to choose just one option, I'd do Squat rack. But why not both? Just separate them out in the week :)

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.