Shock Cardio Thoughts

Excellent post and mirrors what I think and get out of Cathe workouts. It is about the love of a good workout - and the thought that goes into them.

Thank you for putting it in words!

Hi Lori,

I want to add my thanks to the others who have praised your post! You have eloquently and graciously put your feelings into words. You blessed my day. :D

I wish I could write as well as you. English is my second language so I still have a lot to learn.

What a beautiful post.

I am also a lurker out on these forums. I read a lot, but don't post much. I have been away from the forums for quite some time. A big reason is because of some of the negativity. I certainly appreciate constructive criticism, but I guess I just got tired of hearing the arguing and the misinterpretaion that often occurs through typed-text. Overall, however, I do find much inspiration and encouragement by what I read.

I feel the urge to share my story... I finally found Cathe about 3 years ago, and have thoroughly enjoyed her workouts ever since. Before children (I have two boys age 6 and almost 3), I loved going to the gym for group exercise. As a working mom, time for the gym just wasn't very realistic. I searched and searched for home exercise that would not fatigue me mentally and keep me challenged. I have finally found that in Cathe. STS Strength brought my fitness level to a NEW level by educating me on weight training. Since the release of that series I have completed the 3 1/2 month rotation 3 times. Adding the STS Cardio to that series has filled out the remaining days of my weeks. I just completed the Endurance phase of Cathe's STS rotation that includes STS Cardio. I wake up at 5am excited to the workout ahead of me. The biggest reason for this excitement is because EVERY DAY is something different. The mental fatigue that I used to suffer from is no longer there.

I have found another benefit by not making it to the gym. Most days I am up before the kiddos just so I can focus on the task, but many times my boys watch me workout and see my commitment to fitness. My 6 year old loves to lift weights with me. He creates his own little exercises using my 5 lb weights. I hope that this will instill in him a healthy adult lifestyle in future years...

I hope that Cathe continues to put out mulitple workouts in a year as she has done recently. They are quality workouts that keep me motivated. I for one will be purchasing whatever comes next.

Thanks for reading,
Sharon

Dear Sweet Lori....what a beautiful post!!!! Would you believe I just saw this now for the first time? I haven't been on the forums regularly and when I was it was just for a quick question or two. Today I decided to start with the Shock Cardio Forum and I'm so glad I did.

Your words were very moving to me in many ways. Being an artist yourself, I know you appreciate the shape and design a workout takes on on many levels. Aside from the obvious fitness components, there is also a passion, an expression, a physical and emotional piece of me I give to you within each workout.

These workouts all display different art forms, intensity levels, and movement styles. Each workout will deliver a different experience and leave you energized emotionally, physically, and even spriritually. Thank you for enjoying and appreciating the various aspects within each of the workouts as well as the attention to detail given to all of them.

I thank all of you too for responding so positively to Lori along with a warm welcome. What a wonderful community we have here. I cherish the words you have expressed here and in many other posts over the years. ((((((((HUGS))))))))))!!!

Hi Cathe -

I hope you get a chance to read this. I don’t post very often, but needed to take the time to express some thoughts about the Shock Cardio series. I’ve done all the workouts now (most of them more than once) and I think it’s truly inspired! I am enjoying it so much! The diversity in styles and intensity levels - the variety and the fun factor - There’s a wonderful balalnce. There have been some comments about some of the workouts being less intense, but I remember when STS (weight training) first came out. There were a lot of people noting on the forums that they were too tired to do cardio when following this series. Shock Cardio seems like the perfect response to this.

Also, I was watching my son play soccer the other day. It is his passion. He plays hard and drives himself HARD - a lot of the time. But sometimes too, he just “plays.” It seems to be about the joy of movement and having fun. Remember that? As an adult, sometimes I forget that piece. I notice a lot of concern about calorie burn and what a heart rate monitor says. I’m not criticizing this. Exercise is different things to different people. For myself, there were many years that it was a means to an end -- something I did to get my body to look a certain way. That has gradually shifted, and though it would be a bit much to expound on that shift here, I am very grateful for it. What children have with their bodies and exercise - again, movement as an end in itself - I think we’d all do well to cultivate that - at least a little - and not worry so much ALL THE TIME about numbers. In doing so, something changes within, I think. It’s hard to put to words succinctly, but movement for movement's sake - there’s a magic to it (for lack of a better word). It does something important. As an end in itself, our relationships with our bodies (and spirits for that matter) can only improve and deepen. At least in my experience.

So. That’s the sort of FUN I’ve had with the MMA workouts and Step Moves. I’ve felt alternately powerful, graceful, fluid. Just a great deal of enjoyment and I’ve been truly grateful for them on my lower energy days. I'm on my second time through STS (The first time I did the 5 1/2 mo. prgram. I'm working on the Undulating Rotation now). I have noticed my energy in a sort of lull. Not sure if this is partly due to the weather or this rotation or ...? But - Shock Cardio has been great for this. The "less intense" cardios: not only were they not so daunting to begin, but by the time I was done (as is usually the case with working out for me anyway) I felt a better, leveled sense of renewed energy. These are good for me. I can be guilty of always upping the bar and pushing harder and only going for the super intense workouts (Cardio Core Circuit and the Hiit's address those needs quite sufficiently, by the way). Intense training tends to center me. It has a spiritual component - it does. It brings me to a better place in myself. I won’t go into explaining that too much - hope it doesn’t sound too hokey (it‘s nonetheless true). Still, the Shock Cardio series reminded me that there are other ways to get to “that place.” Too, I was reminded that keeping some balance has been and continues to be a long standing goal for me.

For a long time I’ve wanted to say something about the STS program at large. I’m a writer and an artist, and have such an appreciation for STS from a creative standpoint. The attention to detail - every little thing - the effort and care and expenditure of heart, mind and spirit that seems to have been poured into it is so evident to me. This is separate from (but of course related to) its standing as an excellent, effective fitness program. It’s evidenced in your other workouts too, but your time and experience in creating different programs really culminates here. I think that’s one of the things that’s ever attracted me to your workouts. There’s something extra there - distinctly Cathe. I suspect that is that you put your whole self into your works and I appreciate your sharing so much of yourself with us. There's an inherent risk there, but I'd say that the large majority of your followers honor and appreciate that. Your workouts strike me as a creative endeavor from the heart and that shows. They are intelligent and witty and there’s something very artistic, careful and thoughtful about them.

To me, your latest series exemplifies this many times over. I recognize and appreciate it not just from a workout standpoint, but from a human one. I am so afraid this sounds overly gushy. That concern is the main reason I didn’t post these thoughts earlier. I don’t want that, but this has been on my mind and will likely bug me until I just express it. And so I have. My words here are sincere and there’s not an ounce of idle flattery to them. I hope I’ve been able to convey that and express my appreciation and gratitude aptly. Thank you for all that you do. You’ve added more to my life than you'll ever know.

My Best To You,

Lori

shock cardio

Cathe gives us so many options for well rounded at home workouts. The shock cardio series is great for a time crunched effective fat burning workout. Nobody else has anything like it....not even my gym!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.