Shock Cardio Thoughts

Hi Cathe -

I hope you get a chance to read this. I don’t post very often, but needed to take the time to express some thoughts about the Shock Cardio series. I’ve done all the workouts now (most of them more than once) and I think it’s truly inspired! I am enjoying it so much! The diversity in styles and intensity levels - the variety and the fun factor - There’s a wonderful balalnce. There have been some comments about some of the workouts being less intense, but I remember when STS (weight training) first came out. There were a lot of people noting on the forums that they were too tired to do cardio when following this series. Shock Cardio seems like the perfect response to this.

Also, I was watching my son play soccer the other day. It is his passion. He plays hard and drives himself HARD - a lot of the time. But sometimes too, he just “plays.” It seems to be about the joy of movement and having fun. Remember that? As an adult, sometimes I forget that piece. I notice a lot of concern about calorie burn and what a heart rate monitor says. I’m not criticizing this. Exercise is different things to different people. For myself, there were many years that it was a means to an end -- something I did to get my body to look a certain way. That has gradually shifted, and though it would be a bit much to expound on that shift here, I am very grateful for it. What children have with their bodies and exercise - again, movement as an end in itself - I think we’d all do well to cultivate that - at least a little - and not worry so much ALL THE TIME about numbers. In doing so, something changes within, I think. It’s hard to put to words succinctly, but movement for movement's sake - there’s a magic to it (for lack of a better word). It does something important. As an end in itself, our relationships with our bodies (and spirits for that matter) can only improve and deepen. At least in my experience.

So. That’s the sort of FUN I’ve had with the MMA workouts and Step Moves. I’ve felt alternately powerful, graceful, fluid. Just a great deal of enjoyment and I’ve been truly grateful for them on my lower energy days. I'm on my second time through STS (The first time I did the 5 1/2 mo. prgram. I'm working on the Undulating Rotation now). I have noticed my energy in a sort of lull. Not sure if this is partly due to the weather or this rotation or ...? But - Shock Cardio has been great for this. The "less intense" cardios: not only were they not so daunting to begin, but by the time I was done (as is usually the case with working out for me anyway) I felt a better, leveled sense of renewed energy. These are good for me. I can be guilty of always upping the bar and pushing harder and only going for the super intense workouts (Cardio Core Circuit and the Hiit's address those needs quite sufficiently, by the way). Intense training tends to center me. It has a spiritual component - it does. It brings me to a better place in myself. I won’t go into explaining that too much - hope it doesn’t sound too hokey (it‘s nonetheless true). Still, the Shock Cardio series reminded me that there are other ways to get to “that place.” Too, I was reminded that keeping some balance has been and continues to be a long standing goal for me.

For a long time I’ve wanted to say something about the STS program at large. I’m a writer and an artist, and have such an appreciation for STS from a creative standpoint. The attention to detail - every little thing - the effort and care and expenditure of heart, mind and spirit that seems to have been poured into it is so evident to me. This is separate from (but of course related to) its standing as an excellent, effective fitness program. It’s evidenced in your other workouts too, but your time and experience in creating different programs really culminates here. I think that’s one of the things that’s ever attracted me to your workouts. There’s something extra there - distinctly Cathe. I suspect that is that you put your whole self into your works and I appreciate your sharing so much of yourself with us. There's an inherent risk there, but I'd say that the large majority of your followers honor and appreciate that. Your workouts strike me as a creative endeavor from the heart and that shows. They are intelligent and witty and there’s something very artistic, careful and thoughtful about them.

To me, your latest series exemplifies this many times over. I recognize and appreciate it not just from a workout standpoint, but from a human one. I am so afraid this sounds overly gushy. That concern is the main reason I didn’t post these thoughts earlier. I don’t want that, but this has been on my mind and will likely bug me until I just express it. And so I have. My words here are sincere and there’s not an ounce of idle flattery to them. I hope I’ve been able to convey that and express my appreciation and gratitude aptly. Thank you for all that you do. You’ve added more to my life than you'll ever know.

My Best To You,

Lori

Lori,
I have been reading these forums for a very long time, and I never post. But, I just wanted to tell you what an awesome post this is. I agree with you on so many points. I do think exercise should be fun--and these workouts are! Sometimes serious exercisers do tend to get hung up on numbers and forget to just enjoy themselves. There is absolutely no dread factor with any of the Shock Cardio workouts for me. I am recovering from Achilles tendinitis, so I do have to be careful doing high impact/jumping, but I just make sure to allow myself plenty of recovery time, and modify what I need to. I love the Shock Cardio series and know that these workouts won't just sit on my shelf collecting dust.
Keep Moving!
Jana

Lori, I'm glad you posted this. Given the intensity and time commitment that Shock Training System / Strength involves, Shock Cardio is indeed the series that completes the whole package. I do wish you would post more, considering how prescient your original post on this thread is!

A-Jock

Jana, Annette and Dixie Dog6:

Thank you for reading - it felt good to share, and your positive responses really made my day!

Sincerely,

Lori

Hi Lori,

Your post really struck a chord, especially the part about the joy of movement and fun factor. For me, it can't always be about the "the workout" -- and I'm really having fun with some of selections from the new series (MMA Boxing is a favorite!).

Thanks for the wonderful post.

Michelle

Lori...
I love that you took the time to put so eloquently into words what a lot of us are thinking. I have had so much fun with these new workouts. Cathe never ceases to amaze me with her talent for creating new workouts and new techniques to make a work out fun and challenging!

Thank you for posting such a positive post!

Rachel

By the way this will be the first thread that I have ever rated!:D
I thought you deserved the 5 stars!
Rachel

Wow. Geez, thank you Rachel. I was pretty sure I wasn't alone in the views I expressed. Your kind words and reaffirmation of this make me so glad I lurked OUT of my hole for once. Thank you.

Michelle, I really like the boxing too (and combo's two and three from Fusion are favorites right now). I wasn't sure what to expect with either of these (more familiar with kickboxing), but I have favorite things about all three. Something about the boxing music I really like. It fits somehow, I think. My son's even expressed an interest in trying that one (boxing). Anyway, yah. Great fun. I wish I could justify buying a heavy bag. Not right now ... maybe if my son gets really into it ... hmmm.

I did buy a heavy bag (on sale at Sears for less than $100). A lot of money for just one workout, but I've already done it at least 4 times. Plus, my daughter tried it twice, so I consider it a win!

I like Fusion, too -- but I find it a tough one. More practice needed, but that is part of the fun.

Michelle

You know, I find it hard enough to put into words what I'm thinking.. it's absolutely amazing that YOU managed to put into words what I was thinking :) You're words are so eloquent, and I agree completely. I find it amazing how much effort and THOUGHT that is poured into this programme. I understand some people being slightly disappointed, because nobody can please everybody all the time. But I'm sitting here, at my computer, with a MASSIVE WONDERFUL series staring at me from my shelf and I can't help but want to thank Cathe.

I hope Cathe reads your post. And it's not gushy, it's honest: and honesty is something that everyone loves to read :)

Lori,
This was one of the most eloquent, beautiful posts I've ever read on this forum! It wasn't gushy, but from the heart. Plus, I agree wholeheartedly with everything you said. Please do post more!

(You're now tied with Annette (A-Jock) as one of my favorite posters on here. I wish I could express myself the way the both of you do. Kudos!)

Lori,

That was a beautifully written post, and it expressed the sentiments of alot of us, especially me! Thank you.

Ann Marie

Thank you so much for this post, I saw it right after reading a thread of people disappointed in the series. They are completely entitled to their opinion, of course, and I didn't think they were necessarily offensive in how they did express themselves, but it did leave me feeling, I don't know how to express it, but dirty I guess...your post express so gracefully everything I feel as well. So thank you for putting it out there!

I teach pilates and I so often see people coming in with heart rate monitors looking for a tough workout, and although pilates can be a very challenging workout it isn't the true gift of the work. The true gift is body alignment, graceful movement, a balanced body muscularly front to back top to bottom side to side...and the heart rate doesn't go up that much. I am tired of trying to convince people that just because you don't get a big calorie burn it is still worth doing....

I've been away from the forum for a couple days. Thank you for all the wonderful responses. Since I do tend to "lurk," I'm familiar with a lot of you and feel a friendliness towards you - even as you probably have no idea who I am. Kind of one-sided ... and a little odd, to think of it (guess that's one of the things internet has done to human contact: made it possible to make it very one-sided). Something not right about that. I get a lot from this community but don't give so much - need to think about that.

Anyway, I'm very happy to know what I said was meaningful to you guys, too. That means an awful lot to me.

Thanks again,

Lori

You're on point with this right here, Lori...

The attention to detail - every little thing - the effort and care and expenditure of heart, mind and spirit that seems to have been poured into it is so evident to me. This is separate from (but of course related to) its standing as an excellent, effective fitness program. It’s evidenced in your other workouts too, but your time and experience in creating different programs really culminates here. I think that’s one of the things that’s ever attracted me to your workouts. There’s something extra there - distinctly Cathe. I suspect that is that you put your whole self into your works and I appreciate your sharing so much of yourself with us. There's an inherent risk there, but I'd say that the large majority of your followers honor and appreciate that. Your workouts strike me as a creative endeavor from the heart and that shows. They are intelligent and witty and there’s something very artistic, careful and thoughtful about them.

Lori

Last edited:
Plus, your quote below made me think of my niece when she visited her Grandma over Christmas. The stretch segment of Rhythmic Step was on and, DESPERATE as I was to keep her occupied for a couple of minutes, I said to my 2 year old niece, ‘cmon, let’s stretch’. Her first language is not English but since then she calls ALL segments of ALL Cathe workouts ‘stretch’. Cathe could be doing the most intricate combos, skipping over, across, around the step and she just hops up and down on the rug like she’s right up there with the rest of the crew because, of course, in her mind she’s doing exactly the same thing Cathe is on the screen (just simply moving!) It was most adorable how she did ‘stretch’ in HER way, based on HER co-ordination/ability levels all the while having a keen time :D

Hi Cathe -

What children have with their bodies and exercise - again, movement as an end in itself - I think we’d all do well to cultivate that - at least a little - and not worry so much ALL THE TIME about numbers. In doing so, something changes within, I think. It’s hard to put to words succinctly, but movement for movement's sake - there’s a magic to it (for lack of a better word). It does something important. As an end in itself, our relationships with our bodies (and spirits for that matter) can only improve and deepen. At least in my experience.
Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.