Shin Splints

Hi Cathe,

In the last two years I have lost 81 pounds and have maintained my workout program which includes: Tae Bo, walking, Cathe F. DVD's and my trusted Elliptical. Even when I began I would get really sore shins after a few days of intense exercise. I have a neuroma on my right foot but now am dealing with really sore shins. My husband and I just went on a two-mile walk and my shins were just killing me. A few days ago we went on a 4-mile walk with no pain at all.

I am trying to get a few pounds off that I regained and feel so defeated when I have trouble walking. Do you have any ideas that would help? I am unable to run due to the neuroma so walking should be a no-brainer. Any help or ideas would be so appreciated.

Thanks...you give me inspiration everyday of the week. My ultimate goal is to do your 4-day rotation along with one hour on the elliptical.

Not Cathe here, but I just wanted to jump in and give you a HUGE congratulations on your major accomplishment, and wish you lots of luck in whatever comes next!

Not Cathe but I've been struggling with this for several years and only now have it mostly under control. 3 things have been super important to me in keep my shins pain free. 1. Good shows, I was buying cheap shows without enough cushion. 2 they have wraps specifically for the shin. I attached a link but I'm not sure it's like mine. The wrap I have has a foam piece that presses again the bone but I guess any compression wrap would do. 3 if you have Push/Pull the last exercise is the stability ball resting on the tops of your feet and pressing against your hands. Cathe even mentions shin splints at this time. It help to prevent as well as ease some of the pain. If you don't have the DVD let me know I can explain it better.

Congratulations on the great weight loss!!!

http://www.amazon.com/ProTec-3500-S...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1200962625&sr=8-2

WTG with your weight loss!!

Not Cathe either, but I would consider seeing a podiatrist or a PT (if you haven't already). They could look at your gait pattern and make sure you are wearing the proper shoes. They could also show you stretching and strengthening exercises (like the previous poster suggested) that could help relieve your pain and help prevent future problems. Do you walk on uneven or hard surfaces? I have read this may aggrevate the problem. Have you tried the RICE approach? Good luck!! Please keep us posted on how your doing.

I'd talk to an orthopedic surgeon about your shin splints. Right now, it might be completely fixable so why take risks without knowing what's really wrong or how serious it is, though the pain is an indicator that a professional should have a look.

But about your HUGE weight loss: You are AWESOME and certainly an inspiration to me as a proceed down the same road!

I used to have HORRIBLE shin splints (while I was doing TaeBo every day, in fact!).
I tried orthodicts, changing my gait, physical therapy, etc...

The only thing that worked was wrapping my shins. Shin Splits result from the ligaments in your calves pulling the muscle away from the bone. Wrapping your calves prevent that from happening by holding everything in place. (this was a suggestion from my physical therapist, btw.)

You don't need anything fancy at all for this. I used an Ace bandage that I cut in half and used half on each leg. Find the pressure point where your calves are most tender and wrap around that area.
For me, it solved the problem immediately, and I've never struggled with these since.

And congratulations on your awesome weight loss!!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.