S&H question - no results - help!

RhiannonW

Cathlete
When I do Slow and Heavy Legs I can't lift enough weight over my head to make my butt burn. I lift alone at home, so I don't have a spotter. What should I do? Do more reps at the slow pace; prefatigue my legs; Both?

thanks all of you!

Although I don't have one myself, many people have reccomended a weighted vest for leg work. I find I have hit the same plateau that you have: I can only get maybe 55-60 lb safely over my head...so particularly for S & H I would like to get a weighted vest.

Christine

Re weight vests:

Check out your local fitness emporium first; I got mine (max weight load 40 lbs) at a huge SportMart here in the Twin Cities MN area for about $100.00 (there might be less expensive models). If there are none in your area, check out the Perform Better website (www.performbetter.com); they have weight vests too.

Good luck! I love love love Wendy The Weight Vest!

A-Jock

RE: Rocky's Weight Vest

Rocky and I fashioned one for him, using a doll's life preserver onto which we sewed several narrow pockets, filling the pockets with miniature sandbags (each weighing 1/8 oz) that can be easily removed and reinserted. He, too, was having trouble hoisting heavy miniature barbells onto his shoulders with his squirrel arms. His legs are obviously much stronger.

RE: Rocky's Weight Vest

I use a fishing vest and put weights in all the pockets. I also velcro a set of ankle weights together and then around my waist for an extra 5 lbs. This way I use 70 lbs for the leg workout. The barbell is only 50. I can get 55 or 60 up there, but it is such a strain.

If you see my response to the "Is slow & heavy legs...?" post by Bernajo several threads below this one, you will see what I do to make S&H legs work for me, without the extra expense of a weight vest if you can't afford it right now.

Good luck,

Clare

I invested in a "squat - rack". It is worth every penny I spent on it!
I bought mine on ebay, it was really not that expensive.

Very cheap route.

Purchase a weighted diving belt ($20) with pockets and pick up some bag weights to slip in the pockets. The belt is made of polypropelene and the bags weights feel like weighted bean bags (not very expensive at all).

When I was lifting heavy I could get 50 lbs on my shoulders. I added the weight belt with 20 lbs and it worked perfectly for me and took up barely any space in my exercise room.

On the same lines as Candi, I purchased 10lb adjustable ankle weights that have 1 lb weight rods that you slip in. It has long velcro straps so it forms a perfect belt that I can fasten around my waist to get an additional 20lbs. It works great for me plus I can adjust the weights and use them for floor work like in Legs & Glutes.

JJ

I put 50#s on my barbell and wear a backpack filled with (2) 10# plates. This totals 70#, which is what I typically use for S&H (sometimes, it’s 65#). I also do the backpack thing for PLB; instead of adding addition weights to the barbell, I simply add a 5# plate to the backpack each time. It’s quicker, and I don’t have to keep hoisting a loaded barbell above my head.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.