Running rotation

fit_4_forty

Hey all -

I just posted this on the Cathe forum, but thought I'd ask here as well since there are many of you that also run and do Cathe. I'd like to increase my running endurance, and am planning to run 3-4 days/wk. I want to come up with a rotation that includes running and Cathe's new Intensity series tapes. I'd like to maintain my current level of strength, at a minimum, and lose a few pounds along the way.

So, oh educated ones, please enlighten me with your wisdom!

Many thanks,
Rhonda :D

Hey Rhonda!! I'll tell you what I've been doing. Of course, my running has been limited with the weather we've been having. Still, I got out 3 times this week:) ! Now, I haven't been using all the videos, just the pyramids and boot camp. On the upper body days I run and on the day off inbetween. I'm confusing myself, I'll show ya' what I mean.

Mon- kickbox and PLB
Tues- run and PUB
Wed- run or IMAX2(weather thing again. I did them both in one day once, never again!!)
Thurs- step and PLB
Fri- run and PUB
Sat- walk or run (depends on energy level) and Boot Camp
If you want step more, do it instead of kickbox and maybe on Sat. morning too.
Ok, that's what I've been doing. Hope i helped!!

Aimee

Aimee,

Thanks for the reply. Wow, I am impressed with all the 2-a-day workouts you do! Is that part of your competition training? Good luck to you with that, and I will be watching your progress and cheering for you!

Rhonda

No, I just like to break up my day that way. Thanks for the encouragement!! It's going to be an exciting 15 weeks:7 !!

Aimee

Hi Aimee! You are gonna be in demand girl from us rotation seekers! Do you think you can put your rotations on the new forum under rotations so that we can print out your programs and have it all in one place OR how about an ASK AIMEE section ;-) Don't wanna miss any valuable info:p from our very own elite athlete! Enjoy your transformation and Have fun! Not only is there a light after this tunnel~there is a loaded pizza waiting for you:p

HA HA HA HA!!! I'm dreamin' of pizzzzaaaaa! I'm singing can you tell:) ? He he he. Sure I'll post my rotations in the rotation forum. Just cathe tapes? Or running and cathe? With yoga? No yoga?? All of te above?

Aimee

Hi Rhonda,

I increased my running endurance by doing one long run a week. If you can run about 60 minutes now at a time, try to increase it 5-10 minutes each week. For the other 3 runs, one run can be an interval run. Run 1-2 mile warmup and then do 2 minutes fast 1 minute slow (recovery). Do this for a couple miles and then cool down for a mile or two. The other two runs can be your normal paced 4-6 mile run. I am not sure how far you run now or what speed, so I can't really give you fine details. Cathe's Advanced treadmill workout has also improved my running. She has speed, hills and intervals in there.

Also get in PUB, PLB to hit your total body at least once. I get my intensity DVDs tomorrow and am trying to figure out a rotation with those and still fit in my 30-40 miles a week. I mostly use Cathe's weight tapes.

Hope that helped some. Check out runnersworld.com or coolrunning.com

Fitness4Ever!

www.geocities.com/bankerk/Bevs_Page.html

Thanks Aimee! Any and all fitness programs will be great and beneficial to us all! Thanks for your input, you are very inspiring!

Thanks run4fun (great name!) -

I appreciate the input. I am trying to figure out where to put in rest days. I would guess it is most important to take it easy just before and after the long run. Do you do 4 days a week of running, with 2 days of weights? That's what I am considering. Maybe something like this:

Sun - PUB + easy run
Mon - PLB
Tue - interval run
Wed - easy run or OFF
Thu - long run
Fri - easy run or OFF
Sat - IMAX (I feel like IMAX is really good for overall cardio improvement)

What do you think of this rotation? I wonder if the interval run the day after PLB will be too much?

Oh well, I may just have to try it and see!

Rhonda

Hi Rhonda,

Your rotation looks good. I think the rest day should come after your long run, but you will have to see how your body feels. I also think IMAX is good for overall cardio improvement.
Just a suggestion to add in maybe PH, MIS, or Muscle Endurance on a easy run day for a little extra lifting, or on your IMAX day. Keeping those legs strong helps prevent injury. Also, never add more than 10% of running a week.

I try and run at least 4 days a week. Sometimes I get in 5 days. Depends on the weather and if I want to use the treadmill or not. Also, if I am training for a race depends on how much I run.

Let me know how the running and rotation goes.

Beverly

Fitness4Ever!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.