Running marathons while pregnant

zoelda

Cathlete
Hi there,

Question for everyone. How safe is running when you are pregnant? We are thinking of starting to try and get pregnant again, and I have been training for/running marathons the past 3 years, biking too -- have done half-ironman events. If we are lucky... I would be pregnant by the time my next run comes around. Should I just opt to stay with a safer half marathon distance and run for fun, not for time? I'm curious what other active people have done... and how much they have been able to do comfortably. I was not fit during my first pregnancy, so, while I worked hard, I was not working out.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Zoelda

Hi Zoelda,

I was running 50-60 miles/week when I conceived my daughter and up until I was 5 1/2 weeks pregnant (that's when I found out). After that, I modified to run/walks (we live in a hilly area and I walked the hills) and kept my workouts to an hour long.

I don't know if this is true or not, but I read that you shouldn't exercise hard for more than an hour because your blood flow is being directed away from the uterus to get to your hard-working muscles and that it's too stressful for the baby to go longer than that without a good blood supply. I followed that advice during my pregnancy just to be safe.

I continued my run/walks throughout my pregnancy and made sure that I stayed very hydrated while exercising. It's also important to make sure that you do not exercise to the point that you are breathless.

Good luck! I love running - it's my absolute favorite cardio activity!

Erica

I ran throughout all my 3 pregnancies but the most I ran was 6 miles at a time, usually every other day. I cannot imagine running anything even close to a marathon. Towards the end, it was more walking than running. Your body will tell you how much you can and cannot do but a marathon seems a bit extreme for a pregnant woman, no matter how good of shape you are in.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.