Running counting as interval training?

Deeetrent

Hello Cathe,
I have recently added a run/walk program to my cardio workouts, of which I do about 2 days/week. I start off with stretching, then I walk for about 5 minutes, then I go into 12, 90 second intervals of walking/running (run for 90 seconds, walk for 90 seconds, etc...), which takes about 35 minutes. I then walk to cool down for another 5 minutes. Then I stretch. The question I want to ask is if this activity is equivalent to your Interval Max workout video? Is it considered to be an interval training activity at all? How should I incorporate run/walking, Interval Max and step into a full weeks worth of cardio. Or do you not suggest I do the run/walk with Interval Max in the same week? I do 6 days of cardio, and at least 5 days of weight training. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I am patiently waiting to receive your new video Cardio Kicks. I am so excited to start. As always, you surprise me everytime Cathe. You are truly amazing!! :)
Thank you,
-Deirdre-

Run/walk as interval training

Hi!
I'm sure Cathe will answer you soon, she is so good about that. I too use running in my program. I actually lost my first 40 lbs. using a run/walk approach. Eventually I was able to run a longer distance and add 1 or 2 minute surges into my runs. I just did IMax yesterday, and I tell ya, it kicked my bootie!! I personally do not think that the surges ( harder running intervals) I add to my runs are as hard,primarily because I am not doing the intense plyometric moves and upper body movement. My thought yesterday was: " Sheesh! I would rather do a 10mi long run or spinning class!" It will be interesting to hear what Cathe has to say. Hope this helps. DD

Thanks for the response

Thanks for your input. I, too, did Imax today, and boy did it kick my butt also. However, I am curious and looking forward to hear what Cathe's response will be. I appreciate your reply. Thanks.
-Deirdre-

Guess Cathe's not responding

Well Deb,
We were both anticipating what Cathe's response would've been, but, I guess she isn't going to.
:( Too bad, I would've liked to hear what she had to say. Well, thanks again for your response.
Best,
-Deirdre-

May I step in??

I have trained for and run a marathon using a run/ walk program and I have to tell you that it only qualifies as an interval training IF you are in an anaerobic state while you are doing your running intervals.

To really determine this, you would need a heart rate monitor and you would need to to know what you maxiumn heartrate is. Anaerobic state is usually 85% or more of your max. heartrate. That is Cathe's goal in Interval Max- to take your body to that anaerobic state during those intense intervals.

However, most runners use a heart rate monitor to make sure that they DON'T go into an anaerobic state. Your body just can't safely maintain a prolonged anaerobic state and you would end up not being able to run for long.

When I trained as a run/walker, I used my heart rate to make sure that I never went above 85% in my running intervals. It was intense and hard, but never that hard.

So the answer is- you may indeed be doing interval training when you do your run/walk program, but only a heart rate monitor would tell you for sure. (or- do you feel like your running intervals are as hard and intense as Cathe's intervals?) However, if you are training like this a lot (more then once or twice a week) then you don't want to be doing that much interval training and you might want to back off during your running intervals.

(By the way- I believe that Cathe and team are busy editing the new tapes, so she has not had as much time on the forum as usual. This may be why you did not get an answer)

Clare
happy.gif

Marathon Training Program

Clare - I'm interested in the program you took. It was obviously successful as you completed the marathon - congratulations, by the way - was it one of the proudest moments of your life?
happy.gif

I'm scheduled to start a marathon training program next week. I had been running with my uncle (I've done a half-marathon) who mentored my development as a runner, but he's out with a knee injury so I signed up for USA Fit, a national outfit from what I gather from their literature. I'd appreciate any advice from someone who's been there.

Sorry this is off topic but I had to ask.

Janet

Marathon walk/run program

Hello Janet-
During my first marathon I encountered a few women who were wearing wathches that beeped at intervals signaling when they should walk and then continue running ( I believe 5 min run/ 1 min walk ). Even though I chose to run my marathon I noted that these woman were not far behind and during several mi. with me. They were chatting away having a great time! If you go to www.connectingconnectors and e-mail Tawni Gomes ( like Cathe she is great about answering messeges) she will tell you how to get a hold of Jeff Galloways walk/run program and the nifty watch that they use for it. Good luck! My first marathon and every one since have been proud moments for me. I have however, decided to run only half marathons from now on. It seems that running that many miles seems to compromise any muscle I was trying to gain. Half-marathons give me that endorphin rush and cardio conditioning I desire and keep all the great mass and definition we all working toward hanging out with Cathe's tapes. NOTHING leans you out better than running though. And if you want to keep your legs healthy for running, Cathe's PS legs is ideal! Happy running! Deb D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.