running and rotation

Cbelle

Cathlete
I'm training for a half marathon and need a rotation! I will be running 4x/week. I've got all the videos and am thinking of the GS series, the PLB/PUB/ME series. I'm not sure what to do for crosstraining....either elliptical or a low impact Cathe video I guess. Or how would just plain walking be? Too similar to running? Weight loss is my goal along with finishing the race obviously. I've done a search and now I'm even more overwelmed! Seems like some lift heavy, some lift for endurance, and everything in between. I've really cut back on the weights lately and noticed I'm losing alot of my tone which I absolutely don't want to do. Any advice will be welcome!

Hi. I don't see any reason to cut back on weight lifting unless you want to for some reason. I ran my first half back in October and did not cut back on my weights at all. I pretty much lifted 3x per week...sometimes heavy, sometimes edurance based. The only thing I made sure of is that I did not schedule my leg work close to my long run. I ran 2-3x per week while training. As for cardio X-training, I didn't really worry about that at all. I ended up doing lots of circuits so the cardio in my circuits was my X-training I guess. The training plans for races get very involved. I did not want that so I took a plan and tweaked it to what worked for me. The only thing I stuck to religiously from the HM training plan I used was to do a long run every other week.

This is just what I did though. You have to do what works for you.

Hi there! I find that 3 good quality runs a week is plenty and will help prevent running injuries. For your 3 runs, one should obviously be your longer run (slower pace, just getting in the miles), a medium tempo run, and then try to do a day of speedwork if possible (intervals are great!). Then if you want to cross train another day or 2 I would use the elliptical, kickbox, etc. Definitely stick to the weights, a lot of people drop weight training when training for races but it really will help you. Especially core work!! I agree w/ Wendy and schedule your leg work at least a couple days before the long run.

That's just what I have found effective, each person is different! I also try to never run on consecutive days. Take it from me, I've dealt with tendonitis and that has really helped prevent injuries!

I think it’s important to keep strength training in you program while you train for your half marathon. It’ll keep you from losing muscle and strong so you don’t have injuries.

I’m doing Body for Life while training for a marathon which is next weekend on 5/4/08. I ran 3-4 days a week and lifted weights 3 days a week since January and so far so good. I try to make my rest day the day before my really long runs so I give my legs a chance to rest and be fresh for the run. I also went to lighter leg workouts the last week or so because my long runs peaked and my legs were tired, lol!

I think you can definitely fit in cross training along the way as well. I like biking, elliptical, and sometimes step. I’ve been simultaneously training for a duathlon that’s this Sunday. It’s short though (run 2 miles/bike 14.5 miles/run 5k) and the cross training has been a mental and physical break for me.

I think doing what works for your schedule is the best. The main thing to remember is to get in your long runs. If you fall behind in them, it’s too hard to catch up. The rest of the week can be more flexible.

Hope that helps! Good luck to you and let us know how it’s going for you. :)

Kathy G

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.