runners.... question

2tina72382

Cathlete
Hi all! I'm training for a half marathon and I keep getting that terrible ache on the outside of my left knee. I think its my IT band that's extremely tight, as my left hip feels tight, and my left calf.

I've stretched alot, but no help.

I would be grateful for any suggestions!!!

Thanks! -Christina

It definitely could be your IT band. I had problems during & after running a marathon last Sept. It's been posted here before, but I highly recommend a foam roller. http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_rnd_E_40 (and I got the 3' long, 6" one. It will be painful at first, I rolled from my hip to my knee. There are some good stretches too, I did the pretzel type stretch to stretch my hips (which were very tight). How much longer til your half? If it's still really tight/ painful I would recommend doing some training on an elliptical. I eventually had to pretty much give up all running for a good 3 months before it went away, hope yours isn't that bad! HTH!

Sounds just like it band. get the foam roller!! when you roll, use a downward motion, so you are moving towards the knee...start at the hip and move down to the knee. It will hurt...a lot! Even hold the position on the tender spots. Just don't roll away from the knee (knee to hip) because it encourages the IT band to pull on the knee. Think of the itband like a rubber band and you want to encourage **slack** by the knee...not tension.

HTH, I know it band hurts like a mother!!!

Christina...I do agree with the other runners about IT band. Especially if you have increased your mileage too quickly, or run on uneven surfaces a lot. I totally agree too with their advice. But...something else to consider, how old are your running shoes? On occasion worn out running shoes can cause pain in different areas. Depending on the type of shoe you run in they normally last 300-500 miles...:)

Thank you so much for your responses!!

I just started training. The half mary is in Sept.

Jess and Sarah, I will try the foam roller. HOpefully that will help.

Cathy- I know, Biofreeze is great!! Do you know where Ican get it in a regular retail store? I got some free samples once, but ran out and can't find it now.

Carole, Thanks, My sneakers are brand new... But I might go check out some other brands or something. Maybe that will help. Too bad those darn things can be so expensive.

Alright, off to try this stuff, I'll let ya know how it goes! thanks so much!

Christina

Christina,
No, I've never seen it in a store. Have only ordered from the company directly. www.biofreeze.com If you decide to get new kicks, I recommend going to a running specialty store such as Fleet Feet. For the kind of miles you are going to be putting in, it is worth the custom attention. Good luck ~ hope you can nip this in the bud.

Cathy :)

Christina...the foam roller is great. I got mine at Target for about $23 and it comes with a DVD to help...:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.